Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BBK pad advice for hard track use

"M" Specific discussion
exdos

Post by exdos » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:12 pm

I've heard good things about Carbone Lorraine pads but no experience of them.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:36 pm Carbotech pads are superb albeit quite dusty. The XP8 is similar performance to the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic .11 compound but the latter give off far less dust and are about half the price!

The Carbotech range does go quite a lot above the XP8 though. See here... http://www.carbotech-europe.com/compoundstechnical.html
Thanks, I’ll ask them if they make XP24 pads for my rear BBK.
I’m going to contact Tom’s BTCC source for front pads and I’ll try running them variously with Pagids or these at the rear.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:43 pm

exdos wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:12 pm I've heard good things about Carbone Lorraine pads but no experience of them.
Hi John, good to hear from you. I’ve read good things too but I need to look into whether that’s from people using them for fast road and light track use or in a dedicated track car.
S2000 GT - gone

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm

I'm sure they're excellent but they sound like a type of quiche.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:58 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm I'm sure they're excellent but they sound like a type of quiche.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 am

MrPT wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm I'm sure they're excellent but they sound like a type of quiche.
As an interesting coincidence, the friction surface of my pads looked a little like burned quiche after my last track day :D
S2000 GT - gone

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm Thanks, I’ll ask them if they make XP24 pads for my rear BBK.
I'm not too convinced the XP24 compound is a good choice for the rear as they need a lot of heat in them to get the coefficient of friction up and it sometimes can be hard maintaining a high temperature on the rear disks if the track isn't very twisty. They also have an extremely high initial bite which could result in some interesting underpant stains coming into fast bends. I just think you might find them a bit too inconsistent on the rear.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 am

Are you not confusing them with Carbonara; that's a spaghetti dish not a quiche? :P

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am

That’s a very good point about the aggressive initial bite. Since I’m often a little closer to complete loss of control than perhaps is wise, that might just finish me off! :D

Interestingly, since fitting KW Clubsports, the car has very little pitch under hard braking and the rear brakes get just as hot as the front after a few laps. The rear pads seem to wear at 1.5 - 2x the rate of the fronts too. Since I switch off DSC, I presume the wear rates reflect the relative contributions to the overall braking effort. I agree though, a less aggressive pad would be a good idea.
S2000 GT - gone

exdos

Post by exdos » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:05 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am
Interestingly, since fitting KW Clubsports, the car has very little pitch under hard braking and the rear brakes get just as hot as the front after a few laps.
Hi Richard, glad you're enjoying Oz. Same with the AC Schnitzer Racing suspension on my Z4MC which highlights how bad the OEM suspension is and how the problem of pitch, roll and squat can be easily corrected to improve handling and performance. :thumbsup:

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Maybe try some OEM pads at the back and some RS29's or equivellent at the front and see how you get on.

You could also try a mild performance pad in the rear like an EBC Yellow / Bluestuff or DS2500
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:56 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am That’s a very good point about the aggressive initial bite. Since I’m often a little closer to complete loss of control than perhaps is wise, that might just finish me off! :D

Interestingly, since fitting KW Clubsports, the car has very little pitch under hard braking and the rear brakes get just as hot as the front after a few laps. The rear pads seem to wear at 1.5 - 2x the rate of the fronts too. Since I switch off DSC, I presume the wear rates reflect the relative contributions to the overall braking effort. I agree though, a less aggressive pad would be a good idea.
Might be worth checking what temps your brakes are getting too before buying any?
IMOLA Z4///MR

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:57 pm

I used to run EBC Blues on my track car, but if they get too hot they just crumble away - was getting 2-3 trackdays from a set on the front. Have now switched to Performance Friction PF08s and they're a lot better - have done 6 trackdays with great performance, and they're only half worn.

they do more aggressive compounds so could mix and match a bit (PF10s on the front, and 08s on the rear for example). Just throwing another name out there for you!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:19 pm

I’ve ordered a set each of Project Mu H21 and RayBestos ST45 pads through Tom’s contact (thanks again). He doesn’t have anything suitable for the rear callipers, so I’m planning to try them with Pagid RSL29s for the rear.
How that combination affects the balance under braking and pedal feel, will decide where I go next.
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:21 pm

RedUn wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:56 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am That’s a very good point about the aggressive initial bite. Since I’m often a little closer to complete loss of control than perhaps is wise, that might just finish me off! :D

Might be worth checking what temps your brakes are getting too before buying any?
I’ve measured the temps previously with an infrared thermometer but I don’t have one at the moment. They’re readily available from eBay so I’ll get one before my next track excursion.
S2000 GT - gone