Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

clunk on gear changes

"M" Specific discussion
bjd

clunk on gear changes

Post by bjd » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi all,

I don't think there's any issues with my car but I wanted to check in and see if this was a known issue. Someone commented when i changed from first to second gear they heard a clunk and felt something wasn't quite right. I have a hearing loss so don't hear these things!

The Z4M gear box is a bit of a pain but I don't think this clunk is anything to worry about.. just wanted to see if anyone thought it was a known issue that should be addressed. Car drives fine otherwise.

Ben
2007 Z4MR with all the toys and gadgets!

RedUn

clunk on gear changes

Post by RedUn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 am

Its fairly normal, changing the fluid in the box always helps things along. If you want to improve it more have a look at removing the cdv (clutch delay valve).
IMOLA Z4///MR

Austin

clunk on gear changes

Post by Austin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 am

It might be worth getting the seal to the diff checked. I had the same issue, replaced the diff seals and this resolved it for me.
///MC - Bought to drive. Eventuri / Eibachs / Stubby added

rsrider

clunk on gear changes

Post by rsrider » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Austin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 am It might be worth getting the seal to the diff checked. I had the same issue, replaced the diff seals and this resolved it for me.

How would changing diff seals remove a clunk? Surely the only function a seal has is to keep fluid in.

I also recommend removing the Clutch Delay 'Valve' which actually isn't a valve at all - its simply a restrictor of fluid. It takes 15 minutes to do, so even if you dont like it you can just put it back on.
2006 Z4M Coupe Titanium Silver with Imola Red Nappa Leather
Mods: 19" Apex ARC-8 w Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050+ / AFE Intake / Stromung Exhaust / Scheidmann Carbon Boot Spoiler / Scheidmann Carbon Engine Cover / Metallic Black Roof Wrap

Mangozac

clunk on gear changes

Post by Mangozac » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 am

rsrider wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 pm I also recommend removing the Clutch Delay 'Valve' which actually isn't a valve at all - its simply a restrictor of fluid. It takes 15 minutes to do, so even if you dont like it you can just put it back on.
It is in fact both a restrictor and a valve: the restriction only applies in the "release" direction to minimise drivetrain shock when people dump the clutch :thumbsup:
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Vanne

clunk on gear changes

Post by Vanne » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:30 am

U sure it's coming from the box? Check your diff backlash. Clunk doesn't sound like it would come from the gearbox unless you have serious issues with it. :thumbsup: or your worse at releasing the clutch than me, and that would be hard..lol
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3