Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Suspension settings questions after refurbishment.

"M" Specific discussion
PDJ

Z4M Suspension settings questions after refurbishment.

Post by PDJ » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:56 pm

I have changed/edited the title so as to keep it together (right or wrong)

Will now post the after I have fitted the B12 kit question at the end of the thread so it makes sense (maybe)

So after a few weeks of ownership I have done the following

Returned to stock air filter system (I know some would have kept the GruppeM, personal choice)
Changed the engine oil and filter
Changed the gearbox oil
Changed the diff oil
Changed the power steering fluid
Changed the coolant
Changed the cabin filter (I wondered why, when upside down in the footwell as well it's a roadster)
Brake fluid
Two front brake callipers
Full Vanos service by Mr Vanos
Checked loads of little bits
Drove it a bit as well

So there are two big jobs on the radar to do as I see it, one is a winter job the other a weekend job Change the big end bearing shells and upgrade the oil pump as recommended by Mr Vanos the other is a suspension refurbishment.

So to this end I have searched the forum and a popular choice is the Bilstein B12 kit and for the Z4M this is a set of B6 shocks and a set of springs.

Or stay OEM I have some H & R springs all round so the car is 25mm lower that stock. Not sure this is the best set up as a lot of people suggest leaving the ride hight OEM.

Would the H & R springs go on the B12's saving the cost of springs?

Also those that have fitted the B12 kit what else would I need to fit a complete unit as apposed to just the shocks and springs.
i.e. top mounts/top bearings.

The reason for doing the suspension is preventative maintenance as my 1 series had a strut fail around 90,000 and my Z4M has done 82,000

Thanks Paul.
Last edited by PDJ on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4M Suspension refurbishment.

Post by buzyg » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 pm

All good stuff. Will be watching your choices with interest, as my Zed fast approaching 70k. Though as it has put on the miles with me behind the wheel I realy don't notice it being less sharp than it was 50 k miles ago. :)

Was your vanos noisy?

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 pm Was your vanos noisy?
Only just to the knowable ear so had it done as it was a days work i.e. drive to Mr Vanos wait until it was cool enough for hime to work on exchange the vanos then drive home.

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Will be watching your choices with interest, as my Zed fast approaching 70k. Though as it has put on the miles with me behind the wheel I realy don't notice it being less sharp than it was 50 k miles ago. :)
You will not notice it as it decays so slowly until you drive a re freshed one as a comparison it is a bit like getting old it just creeps up on you.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 am

Can't give much advice on the bilsteins, I'd recommend changing the dampers at that mileage though, so I'd go for the B12 kit.

If you doing a full refresh, I'd add to the list, top mount bushes on the front, rogue engineering inverted top mounts on the rear (makes the job easier and they are a lot better quality), rear trailing arm bushes (rogue again), you have the front camber arm bushes, I'd go oem on them, I'd change the arb bushes too and check the drop links too probably past their best and cheap to replace.

One of them jobs, while it's in bits you might as well do the lot :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 am

I have ordered yesterday OEM top mount service parts as best I could work it out from real oem and ordering the bilsteins in the next few days

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:21 am

Have you considered a good quality set of coilovers?
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Yes and wanted to stay with what could pass as a standard ish set up

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Also I have been to the bottom of my bank account with a Westfield and cycling I am trying to resist another visit

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 pm

PDJ wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:14 pm Yes and wanted to stay with what could pass as a standard ish set up
Good quality coilovers (if set at regular / slightly lower ride height) can pass for a ‘standard-ish set up’.

It’s the cheap ones which are then super slammed which ruin the car...

Have a look at the likes of KW, if set correctly they will offer a more complaint ride than the Bilstein shock / Eibach spring combination.

Not to mention the BMW M4 GTS uses KW coilovers from factory as opposed to other OEM suspension set ups.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

abar121

Post by abar121 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm

PDJ wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:14 pm Yes and wanted to stay with what could pass as a standard ish set up
Good choice. I'll be interested in your feedback, as would many fellow Z4M owners :)
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:15 pm

So after searching the web found the B12 kit for around £794, but I had had a good chat with Bilstein uk and Adam had been helpful and he did want £824 posted so called him asked if they would do them for £800 posted

They are now ordered and one their way for £799.99

The BMW bits came to £188ish

So I asked if Bilstein would do the same deal for forum members and he said yes

So here is a copy and paste of his e mail

Hey mate,

Happy to Honour This price of £799.99 for B12 kit number 46-000033

This fits the Z4 E85 Roadster and the Z4 E85 coupe 343BHP

Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Adam

Adam Kelly
Sales Manager
Performance On The Net
40 Huxley Close, Park Farm,
Wellingborough NN8 6AB
Tel 01604 212142
Direct Tel 01604 212142
www.potn.co.uk

MichaelPorter80

Post by MichaelPorter80 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:41 pm

PDJ wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:56 pm So after a few weeks of ownership I have done the following

Returned to stock air filter system (I know some would have kept the GruppeM, personal choice)
Changed the engine oil and filter
Changed the gearbox oil
Changed the diff oil
Changed the power steering fluid
Changed the coolant
Changed the cabin filter (I wondered why, when upside down in the footwell as well it's a roadster)
Brake fluid
Two front brake callipers
Full Vanos service by Mr Vanos
Checked loads of little bits
Drove it a bit as well

So there are two big jobs on the radar to do as I see it, one is a winter job the other a weekend job Change the big end bearing shells and upgrade the oil pump as recommended by Mr Vanos the other is a suspension refurbishment.

So to this end I have searched the forum and a popular choice is the Bilstein B12 kit and for the Z4M this is a set of B6 shocks and a set of springs.

Or stay OEM I have some H & R springs all round so the car is 25mm lower that stock. Not sure this is the best set up as a lot of people suggest leaving the ride hight OEM.

Would the H & R springs go on the B12's saving the cost of springs?

Also those that have fitted the B12 kit what else would I need to fit a complete unit as apposed to just the shocks and springs.
i.e. top mounts/top bearings.

The reason for doing the suspension is preventative maintenance as my 1 series had a strut fail around 90,000 and my Z4M has done 82,000

Thanks Paul.
Sorry for the unrelated reply, but I have an MR on 54k and wondered what made you go for the Vanos work and plan for the rod bearing work? Any sign of issues from the car or just preventative?

I have just bought it and want to keep it for the very long term, and am debating whether the spend the £ on getting these things done, even though my Indy and members on here seem to say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it...

Had the shims checked and all is well, plus the Inspection 2 but I still have a niggle about a big problem down the road. I like to err on the side of caution but it’s a tough one.

Keen to hear your thoughts.
1st Z4 bought in 2009 - Sapphire Black, 2.0l Sport SOLD
2nd Z4 bought in 2013 - Midnight Blue, 2.0l Sport SOLD
3rd Z4 bought in 2019 - Sapphire Black Z4MR Imola Red Leather

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:11 pm

I did the Vanos or Mr Vanos did it as a precaution due to the Vanos making a small but detectable noise it is £900 well spent as the effect of it falling is not a cheap repair. Also it is something that can be done in a few hours, I drove to Mr Vanos and waited then drove home so all done in a day.

The big end bearings will fail as some point and the point at which they will fail is not an exact science but somewhere between 65K and 120K with a lot of factors affecting when there is little warning when they let go. The repair bill would not be something I would want to be faced with so the plan is to replace them this winter as it a couple of days work for a garage or a few weekends for me, my plan is to remove all the bits that are in the way of getting the sump off the first weekend, remove the sump pan and oil pump the next weekend at this point I will clingfilm the open bottom end of the engine to keep it clean and let the rest of the oil drip out into the clingfilm as i will be in no rush when the oil has stopped dipping out I will change the bearing shells with the minimum amount of oil being dripped on me them rebuild the bits that had to come off, there could easily be an add on cost of bits that get replaced on the re build.

The shocks I am replacing as my 1 series 120d M Sport had a front shock fail around 90K so the Z4M is getting to the end of its life for the shocks

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Collected this lot today on the way home from work.
0xyX6iqXQUWPTCfpeJI%kA.jpg
0xyX6iqXQUWPTCfpeJI%kA.jpg (516.1 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Just need the Bilstein bit to turn up and a spare weekend and it will be done.