Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

4 years of ownership review - cost analysis

"M" Specific discussion
Gaijiniji

Post by Gaijiniji » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Four years of ownership have gone by much faster than I expected. viewtopic.php?t=75338

While I have been a lurker on this forum for this time I haven’t contributed much. I haven’t really needed to with most of the answers I’ve needed being available here already. Thank you for this. However some recent boredom at work has resulted in some interesting working out of car ownership. More on that shortly.

Id mentioned in my first post that this car was quite flawed. The clutch is a little agricultural in town, being tall I can’t see much with the rear mirror (it has me looking down at the road rather than behind me), rear visibility makes reverse parking largely guesswork, the wing mirrors are at just the right height to be blinded by any SUV behind me. Changing a light bulb is not as easy a procedure as one would expect…

Living with the car as a daily has been a sometimes challenging but always fun experience. I’ve taken an entire IKEA double wardrobe to the dump in its boot (took me an entire day to cut it up into quite small pieces). I’ve taken my bike to Strathpuffer and Relentless (24 hour MTB races). I’ve been up to the very north coast of Scotland with it and down to the Goodwood Revival. I've dealt with people assuming I am a poser and the obligatory hair dresser comments. The truth is I don't really care. I didn't buy the car for other people, I bought it because I enjoy it. Its an absolute joy to drive.

I’ve driven other cars in this time – I just haven’t really bonded with them and always wished I was driving my own. Ultimately the Z is “just a car” but somehow this time felt different and these flings only serve to show me just how much I love the Z. It gives me the fizz.

Methodology
"if you need to ask how much its going to cost...". We have all seen this rather elitist attitude towards those that value money. What if I told you that you can indeed be a petrol head and be prudent with how you spend your money? (at the risk of going off on a tangent these are not "investment cars". Its likely you would get a better yield on a Marcus Bank account with 1.5%. Investment no. A smart buy? Perhaps). When looking at the other costs I like to look at total costs of ownership. I’m an economist so think like this.. Stay with me here as this is more interesting than it sounds. When looking at the costs of a car, for say 4 years, I look at the usual such as road tax, insurance, fuel, servicing but also depreciation. This is the main cost in car ownership and the results may surprise you. See below my working (happy to supply formula to anyone that wants them)

Assumptions - I drive roughly 520 miles a month. Petrol is £1.25 a litre and 1.1 times that for diesel. I own the car so require no finance. the 2019 335d assumes I sell the z4m and use the proceeds to get a hire rental purchase balloon payment type deal on a new car (insanity but a useful comparison).

I know what you are thinking – maintaining a 12 year old sports car will be more than a new fiesta? Yeah, I thought that too. Its not. Well, it is… just not as much as I thought it would be. I was scared by the possibility of catastrophic failure. “Engine blows resulting in future generations of my lineage being born gingers” kind of stuff. The reality is that in 30000 miles has been a cracked rear coil and a failed coil pack. Two flat tyres I won’t count because this would have happened no matter which car I was driving.

Am I saying that a z4m is cheaper to run than an F30 335d? not entirely. The 335D will have lower monthly outgoings.. but when we consider the true cost of ownership the Z4m wins by £140 a month! £140 a month and driving something that’s properly special – Ill take that! Even if it had suffered failure valued at up to £5k I would still be £36 a month better off over a 4 year period.

On another note please feel free to tell me I am wrong. I am in no way sensitive about these numbers / logic. I’m happy to be tested and for people to find flaws. I realise that
1. The internet is a harsh critic.
2. This may be a secret you have already known and don't want voiced ;)

I also in no way wish to refine all of the joy out of owning this car. Quite the opposite. To me this is and has been a "head and heart" choice.

P.S. when we see each other we should really wave. I saw a blue one heading up to the motor show in Bo'ness. Waved like a mad man and got nothing.
Last edited by Gaijiniji on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bing
Legend
Legend

4 years of ownership review

Post by Bing » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 pm

I have driven mine 60k in the last 5 years as a daily and have loved every minute of it. I have refused to even try to work out numbers like these, as I decided a long time ago not to care... but I am REALLY pleased you have, because now I feel ace :D

I can’t test your maths but I agree wholeheartedly with your ownership comments. We are very lucky IMO.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

james28

Post by james28 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:44 pm

:thumbsup: a great write up op
I think they are utterly brilliant cars and anything sub 30k the z4mc is hard to beat.
In terms of running costs the ved is a bit of a joke at 500+ but insurance relatively cheap 300 a year.
An inspection 2 can be done for about 700 pound.An inspection 1 half that.Tyres brakes etc I think are reasonable.
I think they hold up well for reliability.
They look amazing sound amazing and are one of the cars that hold up well in terms of depreciation.
Not sure I would want to run one as a daily driver Not that it would be a problem.For me every drive is a sence of excitement.As a second car or weekend driver it's 1st class.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 pm

For some one who doesn't post much, you can sure write a cracking informative post. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:49 pm

Very interesting post OP. :thumbsup:

I viewed an MC last month but didn't go for it - maybe I should have seen your numbers! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 am

Post more often. :thumbsup:
'07 Z4C, Stratus Grey | square 108s | Quaife LSD | Lotus seats | Bilstein B4s | ZHP Knob| Cruise Control | Meyle Suspension arms | Pioneer head unit
Miata NBfl 1.8, Torsen T2, JVC Head Unit, Lotus Seat
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, bone stock :D

MattZCars

Post by MattZCars » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 am

Wholeheartedly agree with your post on running costs :thumbsup: both the logic and numbers support running a Z or indeed this type of car with a couple of strong provisos. I'm an accountant so have a similar keen interest in "real" numbers as opposed to people's perception of cost and expenses.

Firstly, annual mileage has to be reasonable, probably 10K or less. Secondly, you have to avoid the worst of the depreciation. This means either

1. Buying a highly desirable model such as the M and keeping the mileage low enough to maintain it's value
2. Buying old enough that the last owner took the biggest hit of depreciation, I would say 5-7 years old at least. I usually buy older simply because I'm very careful with my money! Short arms...deep pockets...the usual jokes apply :rofl: However this doesn't mean that I can't really "afford" a Z!
3.Buying a quality car and looking after it! If you're on this forum you're basically already doing this :thumbsup:

There are lots of other things you can do as well to keep costs reasonable without having to spend every weekend on your back with a handful of spanners! Using good indy garage's, buying good quality but not always OEM parts, buying off fellow enthusiasts. All well documented on this forum :thumbsup:

The petrol v diesel argument is one I've been passionate about for a long time. Diesel's have their place...tractors, trains, lorries...NOT passenger vehicles! All of the people I know who run diesels to any mileage have had big repair bills. Turbo's, DPF's, EGR's, DMF's, Injectors, fuel pumps, the list of expensive and highly stressed components used in the attempt to make diesels civilised enough for use in cars is long!

But great post OP, really good reading!
2006 2.5i SE on 17" daisies without runflats! :thumbsup: already busy.... :play: :P

Assorted other sheds on wheels :driving: ....including..

Z3 2.2
+ Others I won't admit to yet... :oops:

Gaijiniji

Post by Gaijiniji » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback all. I must admit I did question the results a few times as it just didn't seem plausible. I am now intolerably smug about it though!

Yes. Sorry about the lack of participation. There is a wealth if mechanical info on here and its made ownership that much easier. I figured its about time I paid back the benefits. Perhaps the next post will be on why these are not investment cars and should be enjoyed guilt free.

A word of warning though - if you got all of the worlds economists together and made them hold hands around the equator... you still wouldn't reach a conclusion.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Great post OP...! 100% agree...of all the cars I've owned the M3 CSL and the Z4MC have been the two most economical to own. :rofl:

Status

Post by Status » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 am

Well I’ve had my M coupe for a year now it’s done 53 thousand miles so an oil/filter change next week as service history all up to date,wot I’m saying is that me and the missus have been to all the countries around the world now so we go for more long weekend breaks and We go in the M,it’s one of my toys alongside my sti uk Impreza my WRX wagon and my Datsun 260 Z,it’s not all that on mpg but I’m not that bothered as it’s not as bad as my old Jenson interceptor next mini break is up to Northumberland in the M

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:44 am

Great info that

Over 4 years and 20k is a great spread of ownership knowledge for expenses .

20k should bring up inspection 1/2..tyre changes and brake pad and disc changes, which really are the big”normal” expenses in Z4M ownership..

In comparison i presently have a 981 Cayman that is frugal beyond belief for running costs ..

Cheap VED, insurance and bi annual servicing , along with 30+MPG on the commute brings it in the “cheap” category to run I would say.

I have also had C63’s, M5’s and XKRs at the opposite end of the scale... when running these kinda cars, expenditure doesn’t seem to bad (as a low miles user) , until you own something that is truly frugal..

Estimate that my 981 Cayman cost half to run, own and maintain than my C63 did

DevonPaul

Post by DevonPaul » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:54 am

Angelus666 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm Great post OP...! 100% agree...of all the cars I've owned the M3 CSL and the Z4MC have been the two most economical to own. :rofl:
The wife got her MC as a daily/second car intending to have fun and save the Mas for high days and holidays, as the Mas was a "prices of these are only going one way" car at the time.

The Mas price has only gone one way, and is now worth less than the MC, so now the Mas is becoming a daily. It seems happier being used, but I'm fairly sure the fuel costs outstrip any value increase in the MC.

You avoided the pitfall of comparing it with a new car (of similar initial cost) and including depreciation, but the OP's table has a 335d losing 9k in 3 years which could be a bit high looking on AT now, where a 335d is 3 years old for 18K, selling at 13K 3 years later.

We looked at a 2 year old GT86 or a 10 year old MC at about 18-20k. Over 3 years and 12000 miles the GT86 would have lost about 5k, saved £800 in VED, a few hundred in servicing (main dealer fixed price rather than BMW Indy) and about a grand in fuel. Still cheaper to run the Z4, but not that big a difference.

However Man Maths is still at play :)

A more valid comparison would be against a 370Z Nismo or a Cayman of similar age and over the same period, as they are proper alternatives. In the real world nobody thinks "should I get a small town car or a 350hp sports car", erm, except perhaps my wife who started off looking for an MX5 to replace her MR2.

Paul
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm

DevonPaul wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:54 am
Angelus666 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm Great post OP...! 100% agree...of all the cars I've owned the M3 CSL and the Z4MC have been the two most economical to own. :rofl:
The wife got her MC as a daily/second car intending to have fun and save the Mas for high days and holidays, as the Mas was a "prices of these are only going one way" car at the time.

The Mas price has only gone one way, and is now worth less than the MC, so now the Mas is becoming a daily. It seems happier being used, but I'm fairly sure the fuel costs outstrip any value increase in the MC.

You avoided the pitfall of comparing it with a new car (of similar initial cost) and including depreciation, but the OP's table has a 335d losing 9k in 3 years which could be a bit high looking on AT now, where a 335d is 3 years old for 18K, selling at 13K 3 years later.

We looked at a 2 year old GT86 or a 10 year old MC at about 18-20k. Over 3 years and 12000 miles the GT86 would have lost about 5k, saved £800 in VED, a few hundred in servicing (main dealer fixed price rather than BMW Indy) and about a grand in fuel. Still cheaper to run the Z4, but not that big a difference.

However Man Maths is still at play :)

A more valid comparison would be against a 370Z Nismo or a Cayman of similar age and over the same period, as they are proper alternatives. In the real world nobody thinks "should I get a small town car or a 350hp sports car", erm, except perhaps my wife who started off looking for an MX5 to replace her MR2.

Paul
What's a 'Mas'? Maserati?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

DevonPaul

Post by DevonPaul » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:19 pm

enzed4 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm
Maserati Gransport - thought it was in my profile but apparently not on this forum, so I've added a sig.

Actually, that could be a good direct comparison now - similar purchase price, similar performance, similar value expectations (in some circles anyway), but then the BMW really would look cheap.

One year we only did 1800 miles in it after major service, wheelbearing/hub, and tyres. Total cost for the year was around 3k inc tax/MOT/Insurance so about £1.60/mile, which would have been about the same as a taxi.

Paul
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:19 pm

DevonPaul wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:19 pm
enzed4 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm
Maserati Gransport - thought it was in my profile but apparently not on this forum, so I've added a sig.

Paul
Cheers :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport