Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sourcing Z4M LHD headlights

"M" Specific discussion
JulesW

Post by JulesW » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi there, just bought a RHD Z4M in the UK and brought it back to France and have to re-register it within one month. Part of that is getting it through the Controle Technique (French MOT equivalent) and that presumably involves changing headlights to LHD versions (unless anyone knows different). I had planned on buying on Ebay, but now I come to it I find none of the ones on offer will fit the Z4M only regular E85 E4's! The dealer I bought from in the UK also warned against patent parts. Any European based Z4M owners out there with suggestions on where to buy OEM lights. Will try my local BMW dealer in Grenoble, but pretty sure they won't be the cheapest option. Does anyone know who the OEM manufacturer was (Bosch, Hella, etc). Appreciate any help. As I say, I have a month to re-register and the clock has started ticking

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:14 pm

The xenons have a lever you can change to continental mode. Can’t you just do that? Maybe being stupid here though...

It’s all I do when going to France.

JulesW

Post by JulesW » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Yes, just discovered it on the forum here and YouTube. Whether it is good enough to get through the CT we'll see, but I'm going to get have a go getting to the headlights and get it booked it in for a test next week. Fingers crossed that does it. Thanks for replying

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Do the tests work like the UK, where you can try it and then have a number of days to fix it for a free retest?

Honestly think the switch will work with no issues, it’s how UK cars drive in mainland Europe. Or could you do it and ask a lock garage if the pattern is good?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 am

Any facelift xenon Z4 headlight will work. You might want to look state side.

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:04 am

JulesW wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:49 pm Yes, just discovered it on the forum here and YouTube. Whether it is good enough to get through the CT we'll see, but I'm going to get have a go getting to the headlights and get it booked it in for a test next week. Fingers crossed that does it. Thanks for replying
JulesW, I am really interested to hear what happens when it comes to it. I am thinking about taking my MR with me when i move back to Spain in the not too distant future. I know each EU country have their own rules and law, but your case will still be the nearest to mine in the future
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 am

Given that the part numbers are the same for left and right hand drive european models it's pretty safe to say the switch will be fine. :thumbsup:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:37 pm

TomK wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 am Given that the part numbers are the same for left and right hand drive european models it's pretty safe to say the switch will be fine. :thumbsup:
oh wow! Really?? That bodes well!
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

JulesW

Post by JulesW » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi there, given the part numbers are the same for LHD and RHD headlights I'm hopeful that the internal lever is the solution. I'll post up what happens after the Controle Technique (hopefully next week) and any other insight that comes out of it

Monaco84

Post by Monaco84 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 am

JulesW wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm Hi there, given the part numbers are the same for LHD and RHD headlights I'm hopeful that the internal lever is the solution. I'll post up what happens after the Controle Technique (hopefully next week) and any other insight that comes out of it
Sorry but i have to disappoint you.
The Body of the headlights are the same, but the INNER lenses are Different.

You are able to Switch from RHD to neutral

You are able to Switch Form LHD to neutral

But neutral is not what you want. Poor light quality and Not allowed!

Trust me i Converted a rhd z4mc to lhd.
2009-2016: Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster
2016-????: Z4M E86 Coupé

JulesW

Post by JulesW » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:23 am

Monaco84 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 am
JulesW wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm Hi there, given the part numbers are the same for LHD and RHD headlights I'm hopeful that the internal lever is the solution. I'll post up what happens after the Controle Technique (hopefully next week) and any other insight that comes out of it

Sorry but i have to disappoint you.
The Body of the headlights are the same, but the INNER lenses are Different.

You are able to Switch from RHD to neutral

You are able to Switch Form LHD to neutral

But neutral is not what you want. Poor light quality and Not allowed!

Trust me i Converted a rhd z4mc to lhd.
Oh, that's not great news. CT booked in for July 2nd. Any suggestions for sourcing a LHD set other than BMW in France?

frazell

Post by frazell » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:44 pm

I think Manaco84 is right on this, if you buy the HID upgrade kits for the Z4M (morimoto DS2 5.0's as an example) you can buy them in a LHD or RHD beam pattern.

http://www.morimotohid.com/bi-xenon-min ... ctors.html

In the How To section;

viewtopic.php?t=104600

Might be a bit of a pain but changing to the Morimoto kit might be the way forward for you as its cheaper than the complete headlight unit, more available and better performing than the existing setup providing they are legal in France?

Anyway, just a suggestion. :thumbsup:

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

I went through this a few years ago, I ended up buying two second hand lights from different suppliers on ebay for a total of around 500 euro. They weren't in as pristine condition as I would have liked but they do the job and only one noticeable scratch from the outside.
It was easier to find prefacelift Xenons, even clear ones, but needed facelift versions for the M. Visually there's a subtle change to the steps/ridges around the circular lights.

I'll be converting back in the next few weeks. I'm now back in the UK.
If it's not too late, my Euro lights might be of interest to you??
Swapping internals would give the best results as you could use your outer case if they're in better condition, but I never went down the route of disassembling them.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.