Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice on 2006 M4R purchase

"M" Specific discussion
Virginiausa

Post by Virginiausa » Tue May 28, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 Z4M roadster with Nav and approximately 75K miles. Black on black. It has been sitting for about 2 years and driven about 30 miles during that time. Passed emission and safety tests two years ago. First look and talking indicated main roof motor doesn't work, tire pressure light on, and air bag light on, one bulb out in driver side turn signal, shifter knob comes off, weather strip around windshield disintegrating, headlights fuzzed over, brakes rusty, some of the "M" emblems faded, one 3/4 by 1.5 inch scratch in hood down to primer, newer tires, Inspection II completed several miles back, AC, radio, Nav, windows, all work . Battery was dead, had to jump start it. Advice? Things (high dollar) to specifically look for. Read about passenger side motor mount possibly failing. Drove car in neighborhood, less than 30 mph , 1st/2nd gear, motor smooth, one stumble, no tags so couldn't put on main road. $9-$11K (dollars) reasonable?

620turbo

Post by 620turbo » Tue May 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi there, cannot help with the values as I am in the UK:

Roof motor a common problem. Can sometimes be saved and then moved inside car by someone who knows what they are doing to stop it failing again as it goes for a swim due to drain holes being blocked.

Headlights fuzzed over can usually be fixed by machine polishing.

Brakes may be OK after being drivem, depends how worn discs are. Discs are expensive as they are the E46 M3 CSL items.

M emblems fading is common.

Check who did the inspection II and make sure it was done by someone who knows what they are doing as it is a big service with all fluids and the valve clearances need adjusting.

HTH

Virginiausa

Post by Virginiausa » Wed May 29, 2019 2:36 am

Know of any videos online that show process of moving motor inside the vehicle? I've seen a video of removing the top to get at the motor. Looked rather significant in effort. Another post here indicated the motor can be moved to the trunk without removing the top. Possible?

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 am

Virginiausa wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:36 am Know of any videos online that show process of moving motor inside the vehicle? I've seen a video of removing the top to get at the motor. Looked rather significant in effort. Another post here indicated the motor can be moved to the trunk without removing the top. Possible?
Give "roof motor relocation" a search on here, should bring up lots of info.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Virginiausa

Post by Virginiausa » Wed May 29, 2019 3:43 am

bmwaddict wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 am
Virginiausa wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:36 am Know of any videos online that show process of moving motor inside the vehicle? I've seen a video of removing the top to get at the motor. Looked rather significant in effort. Another post here indicated the motor can be moved to the trunk without removing the top. Possible?
Went to home and input roof motor relocation in search and got one picture of one that had been relocated. Not much else. Am I doing something wrong? Looking at the picture it appears the plumbing is flexible and if you could get the motor out thru a hole in the trunk liner you could easily replace motor or possibly recondition it. I understand the motor exists in a "bag" but wasn't sure if it just sits in the cavity (that gets full of water and shorts the motor) or is it bolted down. Hate to cut a hole in the trunk liner just to find it is bolted somehow and therefore have to remove the top anyway.

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Wed May 29, 2019 5:59 pm

Virginiausa wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:43 am
bmwaddict wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 am
Went to home and input roof motor relocation in search and got one picture of one that had been relocated. Not much else. Am I doing something wrong? Looking at the picture it appears the plumbing is flexible and if you could get the motor out thru a hole in the trunk liner you could easily replace motor or possibly recondition it. I understand the motor exists in a "bag" but wasn't sure if it just sits in the cavity (that gets full of water and shorts the motor) or is it bolted down. Hate to cut a hole in the trunk liner just to find it is bolted somehow and therefore have to remove the top anyway.
Here you go mate.

viewtopic.php?t=85266
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed May 29, 2019 7:07 pm

No idea what an ///MR is worth in the states. All of the above are very doable referbishments. I would want to change all the fluids. An inspection2, including gear box oil, diff oil and valve clearance check, pretty much covers that. So simplest way for peace of mind would be to get another Ins2 and brake fluid change done. £600 UK independent garage. Brake disk and pads all around are indeed pricey £1000 in Uk with fitting. The disks may just need a run, so check their condition. Have the wheels been on the car? If so the tyres may be squished. A new battery is pricy too. Have a search on here, for an alternate to the OEM item.

The perished seals would put me off the car. Why are they perished? What else is perished?

Good luck with it, whatever you decide. :)

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Thu May 30, 2019 3:32 am

$9-$10k is downright dirt cheap at 75k miles - IF there aren't more issues than the ones you name, most of which are likely to be minor and related to sitting.

The only way to proceed IMHO is with a thorough PPI by a competent BMW mechanic. Get the list of exactly what it needs in front of you, then negotiate like hell down to a price you're comfortable with. Good luck!
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

Virginiausa

Post by Virginiausa » Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 am

bmwaddict wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:59 pm
Virginiausa wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:43 am
bmwaddict wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 am Give "roof motor relocation" a search on here, should bring up lots of info.
Here you go mate.

viewtopic.php?t=85266
Super, exactly what I was looking for :rofl: Thanks everyone for the responses. Now to convince the other half I need a new distraction and then get the deal.