Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Red tyre warning

"M" Specific discussion
drummachine

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by drummachine » Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am

Morning all

I had a RED tyre pressure warning light come on yesterday and hasn't gone off since. All tyres almost new and none have lost any pressure.

Is there anything i can check or do myself instead of having to book it in anywhere? Not come across this before and i'm massively short on time to get it looked at quickly.

Thanks

Capa

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by Capa » Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 am

TPMS I believe.

Have you checked the pressures - maybe there's a slow puncture or the tyres weren't fitted correctly?
E86 | Stratus Grey

brillomaster

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by brillomaster » Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 am

No big issue... probably just the tpms wasnt reset when the tyres were changed. check the pressures, reset the tyre pressure monitoring system (hold the button down til the light goes out). If after a few days it comes back on, you have a puncture needs fixing.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by buzyg » Fri May 24, 2019 12:20 pm

brillomaster wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 am No big issue... probably just the tpms wasnt reset when the tyres were changed. check the pressures, reset the tyre pressure monitoring system (hold the button down til the light goes out). If after a few days it comes back on, you have a puncture needs fixing.
What he said. :thumbsup:

drummachine

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by drummachine » Fri May 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks all - will have a proper look when i'm home.

I've done around 200 miles over around 15 trips on the new tyres and the light came on yesterday - pressures were spot on when it came on

Bing
Legend
Legend

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by Bing » Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 pm

How do you know they were spot on - did you check them immediately and were the tyres cold ?

Just asking because the only time my red light has come on is when my o/s caliper was sticking and it got so hot the increased pressure changed the rolling radius enough to set off the sensor. That said, I knew there was an issue anyway because of the horrible juddering :lol:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

KevinC

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by KevinC » Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 am

Quite possible that one or more batteries in the TPMS sensors have gone tits-up. Allegedly they are good for about 7-10 years. Our cars are all older than that now, and if they've never been replaced, they're overdue to fail.
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

dgm

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by dgm » Tue May 28, 2019 8:39 am

KevinC wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 am Quite possible that one or more batteries in the TPMS sensors have gone tits-up. Allegedly they are good for about 7-10 years. Our cars are all older than that now, and if they've never been replaced, they're overdue to fail.
Not on UK cars, they use the ABS wheel speed sensor so no batteries involved.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

KevinC

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by KevinC » Wed May 29, 2019 8:11 am

dgm wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:39 am Not on UK cars, they use the ABS wheel speed sensor so no batteries involved.
Over here, 2006 models have the ABS-based sensors, then for 2007-08 they went to the in-tire sensors. Little buggers can be a nuisance.
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

drummachine

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by drummachine » Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 am

All tyres are fine pressure wise so i have simply reset it to see what happens. Haven't driven far enough yet to see if its made a difference.
Watch this space....

Status

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by Status » Wed May 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Happened to me last weekend in wales,might be. As they get hotter it might trigger the sensor to come on,think that’s wot happened to mine as was driving quick,pressed the button and all is well and stayed off all the way home but then another light come on,think it’s something to do with the emissions so putting the scanner on it down me mates garage this weekend

Probocop

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by Probocop » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Bing wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 pm Just asking because the only time my red light has come on is when my o/s caliper was sticking and it got so hot the increased pressure changed the rolling radius enough to set off the sensor. That said, I knew there was an issue anyway because of the horrible juddering :lol:
This is exactly what happened to me this weekend. Did you need a replacement caliper?
2007 Z4M Coupé - Midnight Blue
1988 VW Transporter - Slate Blue
2008 E82 123d - Space Grey
2009 Abarth 500 Esseesse - Campovolo Grey

Bing
Legend
Legend

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by Bing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Probocop wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Bing wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 pm Just asking because the only time my red light has come on is when my o/s caliper was sticking and it got so hot the increased pressure changed the rolling radius enough to set off the sensor. That said, I knew there was an issue anyway because of the horrible juddering :lol:
This is exactly what happened to me this weekend. Did you need a replacement caliper?
Yeah, I got a reconditioned one off eBay, and got an amount refunded when I sent them my old one. Can’t remember how much I’m afraid. Only downside was it came in silver, and OEM M callipers are black / lacquered.

Just realised I put o/s, but it was the n/a one. Common on the M, for some reason there seems to be a lot of heat out that side compared to the other I’ve noticed. Maybe that contributes to overheating/sticking of the calliper. Dunno.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Probocop

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by Probocop » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Bing wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:44 pm
Probocop wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Yeah, I got a reconditioned one off eBay, and got an amount refunded when I sent them my old one. Can’t remember how much I’m afraid. Only downside was it came in silver, and OEM M callipers are black / lacquered.

Just realised I put o/s, but it was the n/a one. Common on the M, for some reason there seems to be a lot of heat out that side compared to the other I’ve noticed. Maybe that contributes to overheating/sticking of the calliper. Dunno.
Just got mine back today, also with a silver caliper. Looks pretty smart, I think I'll have to get the others painted silver now to match though :thumbsup:
2007 Z4M Coupé - Midnight Blue
1988 VW Transporter - Slate Blue
2008 E82 123d - Space Grey
2009 Abarth 500 Esseesse - Campovolo Grey

drummachine

Z4M Red tyre warning

Post by drummachine » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 am

I've only done circa 40 miles since i just simply rest the light and so far so good.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come back on. All we need now is some decent weather so we can actually get out and drive!!!