Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The most desirable M colour ranking...

"M" Specific discussion
Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Clearly shows no clear winners, which is the best conclusion
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:10 pm

I guess my original question was more about 'the market'....what colour is deemed the most valuable and IMO I definitely think a white Z4MC is definitely worth another £2-3k more than some other colours.....do people not agree?

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:10 pm I guess my original question was more about 'the market'....what colour is deemed the most valuable and IMO I definitely think a white Z4MC is definitely worth another £2-3k more than some other colours.....do people not agree?
I don't think anyone would argue colour does affect value
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

james28

Post by james28 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Once had this problem when buying a sierra rs500 52 in moonstone blue 52 in white the rest in black
Couldn't afford the white or moonstone so got a black one.Always a buyers premium the less cars made in the other 2 colours.Not that it made any difference in the end as they all shot up to an extortionate amount and all end up as garage ornaments. I think the z4m will probably follow the same cult trend and always have keen collectors after the more limited colours and lower miles in standard form.The more eu regulations and everything ending up turbo powered and electronic steering and auto boxes.

Trav

Post by Trav » Sun May 19, 2019 4:35 pm

I can only agree in the sense that people would probalbly think I overpaid for my white MR. I wanted a white one that was that. Is it actually any more valuable, probably not. But if I'm driving it then the rest of the UK isnt. But seeing some of the monthly pics on here there isnt a bad colour. I still like black and silver. But I wanted white M coupe, my Mrs was buying and wanted a roadster this time. It turned out there was only one and it was actually for sale at that time. Reality is I probably paid more than the 2-3k premium you mention. Just as I may have paid a premium for a low mileage example if that is what I was looking for. I may have paid a premium if I was looking for a well modified one also though (in any colour). Horses, courses and budgets.
Z4MR A.W.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sun May 19, 2019 5:24 pm

I’d say Imola on a Roadster and Silver Grey on a Coupe :oops: :D

PY and Sepang for me too 8)

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:45 pm

Trav wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:35 pm I can only agree in the sense that people would probalbly think I overpaid for my white MR. I wanted a white one that was that. Is it actually any more valuable, probably not. But if I'm driving it then the rest of the UK isnt. But seeing some of the monthly pics on here there isnt a bad colour. I still like black and silver. But I wanted white M coupe, my Mrs was buying and wanted a roadster this time. It turned out there was only one and it was actually for sale at that time. Reality is I probably paid more than the 2-3k premium you mention. Just as I may have paid a premium for a low mileage example if that is what I was looking for. I may have paid a premium if I was looking for a well modified one also though (in any colour). Horses, courses and budgets.
That's a really great case in point. I think the premium on the white cars will only continue to grow, and in my view it's a safer buy than even a lower miles car on more common colour.

You could almost justify buying a 'boring' colour ZM and fully re-spraying it (fully documented of course)....you'd probably get all your money back at the end come sale time!

stewey999

Post by stewey999 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Imola, white then phoenix for me...
Imola red E86 Z4M. Genuine CSL's, eventuri intake, supersprint race exhaust, zhp.
E86 3.0si Phoenix Yellow. 19" Veeman VFS23's - Sold
996 turbo x50 - Sold
Noble GTO3R - Sold

Papa_Zee

Post by Papa_Zee » Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 am

Got to be Imola, Sorry... :-)

I didn't think much of the Phoenix but saw one in Gillingham a while back and it looked very nice actually. Saw my first Sepang and White MCs and at the weekend and those were tops too!
E89 35is

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Tue May 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:45 pm You could almost justify buying a 'boring' colour ZM and fully re-spraying it (fully documented of course)....you'd probably get all your money back at the end come sale time!
Reading through this thread, I was having exactly the same thought. There's a couple of M roadsters going, IMO, quite cheap at the moment and probably the colour is a big factor in what's holding them back (black/silver). If a quality re-spray could be done for c.£3000 in a colour where the demand/supply would work in your favour (e.g Alpine or Sepang) then it would be worth serious consideration.

I still dream of having my coupe in Techno Violet. I wonder if it would affect the value. Probably not, but I'd love to do it regardless! :D

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Sepang in the flesh is amazing. My favourite is still Silver Grey because, outside of Z4 circles, most people don't even recognise the car, let alone the colour. You can get it to an almost mirror-like appearance with a bit of elbow grease and it also has the CSL connection (when paired with 163M alloys) which is pretty cool.

Never was too keen on white. I don't think it shows off the lines as well as some other colours, or works as well as white on softer shapes. But then I watched the YouTube vid sixspeed recently featured in and he mentioned liking it because it has that track car / road racer look. Totally get that. It looks very purposeful, in a Storm Trooper-type way, and of course it being pretty rare makes it very special too. :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

WillP

Post by WillP » Tue May 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Or another way you can look at it is to combine flimper's fav 3 M colours poll with the total of MC's+MR's that came into the U.K....only a bit of statistical fun ( i await the backlash !! :D ) - the following table shows how each colour is oversubscribed by the votes from the poll..the winner is Space Grey... there are 18.67 votes for each Space Grey MC or MR (3 in total)…;

1st Space Grey 18.67
2nd Phoenix Yellow 10
3rd Alpine White 6
4th Sepang Bronze 5.21
5th Midnight Blue 2.58
6th Monaco Blue 2.29
7th Imola Red 1.23
8th Carbon Black 0.97
9th Ruby Black 0.73
10th Titanium Silver 0.68
11th Interlagos Blue 0.57
12th Silver Grey 0.38
13th Black Sapphire 0.22
Alpine White MC, imola leather, OEM 19" CSL's, Gruppe M, Aero sills.

Trav

Post by Trav » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm

WillP wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:13 pm Or another way you can look at it is to combine flimper's fav 3 M colours poll with the total of MC's+MR's that came into the U.K....only a bit of statistical fun ( i await the backlash !! :D ) - the following table shows how each colour is oversubscribed by the votes from the poll..the winner is Space Grey... there are 18.67 votes for each Space Grey MC or MR (3 in total)…;

1st Space Grey 18.67
2nd Phoenix Yellow 10
3rd Alpine White 6
4th Sepang Bronze 5.21
5th Midnight Blue 2.58
6th Monaco Blue 2.29
7th Imola Red 1.23
8th Carbon Black 0.97
9th Ruby Black 0.73
10th Titanium Silver 0.68
11th Interlagos Blue 0.57
12th Silver Grey 0.38
13th Black Sapphire 0.22
Good stat. Relating the space grey example back to the OP's question about price premiums. What extra price is unobtainium these days. There would be a much bigger premium than the 2-3k mentioned for a space grey car. Both space grey and sepang are fantastic. Yellow for me is simillar to white and red, you can love or hate. But in terms of premium price I think Space grey would be tops. Do statistics lie?
Z4MR A.W.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Crazily I reviewed 3 other Sepang MC’s over about 4 years and a few other colours before choosing mine.

There are some right ropey cars out there in amongst the gems & paying an OTT premium just for the colour alone believe will loose out - for me had to be good history, condition & my preferred colour together.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Well here is a link to Flimper's original thread:- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37959

Personally I'd want to pay less for a white one! To me white is sh*te, but each to their own. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black