Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Respray or sell

"M" Specific discussion
Simon 3.2M

Respray or sell

Post by Simon 3.2M » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:50 pm

My car looks like this and I love it 😊

IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4056.JPG (181.33 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
I want it to look like this as I love it more!!

Sell or respray mine?
Attachments
IMG_4455.PNG
IMG_4455.PNG (697.03 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Respray or sell

Post by jamie_z4 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:54 pm

No. It'll affect resale value too much for an m car imo. Run of the mill z4 yes go for it but think it'll put a lot of people off going off what that one that was wrapped on here did a couple of years ago

Just sell up n buy a sepang one
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Respray or sell

Post by buzyg » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Have to agree with Jamie. Much as it's worth a great deal to know the history of your own car. You will lose a packet if you respray a different colour. Find your self a nice low mileage Sepang MR and use the money for the respray trade in for it. Might take a while but it makes more sense between these ears. :)

Deepseaskateboard

Respray or sell

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Wrap it?

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Respray or sell

Post by ben g » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Get Beedub to wrap it sepang :thumbsup: at least you'll know it's been done properly and it won't affect resale value, as long as you remove the wrap first.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Ed Doe

Respray or sell

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:50 pm

As above - if you fancy a change, a wrap is an excellent idea, and cheaper than a respray.

Personally I wouldn't get hung up on resale values by changing it to how you want... just my tuppence worth :)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Respray or sell

Post by GuidoK » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Are you planning to keep the car for a long time?
Then I'd go for a respray.
But do a good respray. (all seams/door inners etc)
I dont know what your primercoat colour is but I think the sepang ones is antracit.
If yours is lighter, it might look odd if you open the hood.

On the german forum I saw a z4 resprayed in marrakesh brown. That also looked pretty awesome.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Mangozac

Respray or sell

Post by Mangozac » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm

GuidoK wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:23 pm Are you planning to keep the car for a long time?
Then I'd go for a respray.
But do a good respray. (all seams/door inners etc)
I dont know what your primercoat colour is but I think the sepang ones is antracit.
If yours is lighter, it might look odd if you open the hood.

On the german forum I saw a z4 resprayed in marrakesh brown. That also looked pretty awesome.
Silver Gray has a nice dark primer coat so the it would take a colour change fairly well.

There is a third option: a removable respray, kind of like a professional version of plasti-dip. You spray it on as a base layer, then the colour coat, then clear. Just peels off when you are ready and is maintained like normal paint. I've forgotten the name of the product I've seen used here in Australia.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Respray or sell

Post by GuidoK » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Mangozac wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm Silver Gray has a nice dark primer coat so the it would take a colour change fairly well.
I ment more as contrast what you see when opening the bonnet.
So what colours the strut towers are etc.
If you have titansilver, its titansilver.
But if you have sterling grey, you have antracite.
Same goes of the darker blue colours (all antracite)
And I suspect that sepang also antracite has
But I think that z4m is stratusgrey? (hard to see in the picture but it looks darker than titansilber) Is the primer colour then stratusgrey or antracite?

So this silvergrey z4 has a white/siver basecoat (I think this is titansilver, code 354):

But this looks lighter than what the OP has

And this one has antracite:

From this car (either code A08 or 440 if I guestimate, probably A08):
https://uploads.carandclassic.co.uk/upl ... 184937.jpg

But sepang is a really nice colour.

I wouldnt worry about resell value.
With a respray all stonechips etc are gone so if a different colour is a negative, all stonechips gone is a positive.
I think a good respray has the best colourdepth, and I think paint has a longer lifespan than a wrap or removable respray.
But its also the most expensive. Do you know a sepang /m for sale in good condition (and can that match the shine and paint condition of a resprayed car?)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Angelus666

Respray or sell

Post by Angelus666 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Why not, if done properly I don't see it as a negative...the paint will be better than 90% of those on offer so I'd say go for it if you can afford to spend the £4k+ on a decent job.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Respray or sell

Post by john-e89 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Respray it. Take pics of the process etc. Life’s for living, and it’s not a 100k car. :thumbsup:

Taz will buy it off you when the time comes anyway...... :P
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

R60BBA

Respray or sell

Post by R60BBA » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:58 am

A respray is expensive and a non original paint job will almost certainly negatively affect the value of the car (lose lose).

If you’re considering a colour change, I would get it wrapped instead. Make sure your paint is top notch beforehand otherwise you may find issues when you return the car to standard.

However, seeing as you mentioned ‘sell’, what other cars are you considering?
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

javis20

Respray or sell

Post by javis20 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:52 am

That's a really easy car to wrap. Go with the wrap, since it can be undone. If you respray people with think it was in an accident and it will lose value.

Mangozac

Respray or sell

Post by Mangozac » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 am

GuidoK wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:18 pm
Mangozac wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm Silver Gray has a nice dark primer coat so the it would take a colour change fairly well.
I ment more as contrast what you see when opening the bonnet.
Yeah I understood what you meant but may have worded my reply poorly. Based on your photos, the Silver Grey A08 has the anthracite primer coat colour in the engine bay.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Simon 3.2M

Respray or sell

Post by Simon 3.2M » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks for the comments guys. I've not got my eye on another car, it's just that the sepang bronze with black wheels works for me - seems to give the car an aggressive, more purposeful stance.

The quandary I have is that my car is mechanically perfect, it's had new rod bearings, discs and pads, shims, poly RTAB's, vibratechnics, all oils and fluids, radiator, thermostat, TPS, updated navy etc etc and is having a new clutch next week. As we all know, the money invested will never been seen when sold apart from selling the Gruppe separately. I've only ever seen one sepang roadster for sale and that was a couple of years ago. Unless it's been meticulously maintained I could be doing a lot of the above jobs again but as mentioned earlier, a good respray is 3k plus. I'm not sure of the cost of wraps so I need to investigate that. Regarding the comment about the paint needing to be perfect beforehand, I saw a lovely Mat blue metallic wrapped R8 at the weekend however, on closer inspection the poor finish underneath stood out a mile so that's a factor too.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice