Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mixing Shell with Castrol

"M" Specific discussion
Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Could be opening a can of worms here, and I've done a bit of research but not found anything conclusive (obviously).

I'm going to be doing an oil change and I've got 2 litres spare of Castrol Edge 10w60. Although for this one I'm tempted to try out the Shell Helix Racing instead (pretty sure it's what BMW are using now anyway) given that it's slightly cheaper.

I'd rather not have to buy 7 plus litres of new oil when I've already got 2 litres left from the last one... So does anyone see any obvious reason as to why I couldn't add 5 litres of shell, and then finish the rest off with the castrol? Still with some to spare for top ups?

Usually I'd just avoid that on the grounds of 'good practice', but I always just end up with half empty bottles of oil lying around from previous cars or because I change the oil grade/make.

Any input appreciated

Cheers

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 pm

I can't see mixing having adverse effects but fundamentally oil does such a important job why would you want to scrimp :? imo oil choice l is more important than fuel choice :o
Just £63 for 6 litres of finest CFS Millers :thumbsup: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-O ... SwpkFY6z6Y surely your car is worth that :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Personally I wouldn’t mix it. As Andy says why scrimp on the most important part of the engine.

Either by 5litres of Castrol or 7 of shell or A N other.

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 pm

You’ll be fine.

When I had an oil leak (due to CPV) I couldn’t get my hands on Castrol and so I was forced to buy M Twin Power Turbo (Shell Helix Ultra Racing) from main dealer and had no issues.

However like Mr Wilks mentioned, why cheap out on oil on such a highly strung S54 engine?

Personally I’m a Castrol man through and through.

Check OpieOils for good deals / discounts.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm

BMW have gone over to Shell - even though all my 7 BMWs have had a Castrol logo on the oil filler cap! :?

My local BMW Indy said the change happened because Castrol wouldn't supply it in containers without a Castrol logo on them, but Shell would!

I'd fill it with 1 brand of your choice, and just use the Castrol for top-ups.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm BMW have gone over to Shell - even though all my 7 BMWs have had a Castrol logo on the oil filler cap! :?

My local BMW Indy said the change happened because Castrol wouldn't supply it in containers without a Castrol logo on them, but Shell would!

I'd fill it with 1 brand of your choice, and just use the Castrol for top-ups.
Yeah I'm gonna do that I think... Like i said, i never really liked the idea of doing things like that usually. Just dont want to throw oil away or have it sitting around for ever, suppose keeping the castrol for top ups will hopefully see it gone eventually.

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:08 am

It's going to make no difference they are both go quality oils of the same grade and specification

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am

Agreed, you'd have to be absolutely paranoid to worry about mixing those two. Same grade and specs pretty much, and both approved.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Matt.13

Post by Matt.13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:44 am

I would not worry about mixing it to be honest. As already said both are decent oils.
2nd gear sideways

Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Yeah tbh that was my thinking. Like the only thing I'm doing is mixing the additives, which unless any of them react and cause it to solidify... I think I should be alright :P

But I've bought 7 litres of shell anyway, so I'll just see what I feel like doing on the day when I'm changing it.

Cheers :thumbsup:

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Funny isnt it , a lot of us on here are always looking to do what is best for our z’s or at least what we think is best.
I too , when doing an oilchange wouldnt mix brands even of reccomended ones, just because it doesnt feel right, whilst feeling also that if they both meet the spec and are reputable brands there would be no problem whatsoever, once the cocktail has gone around the system a few times and been mixed and coloured a bit by combustion then its all one and the same. Also if its alright to use odd brands for topping up then its really no different to doing it in the first place, its not like the engine is going to only burn off the one used for topping up therefore leaving the original oil untouched is it ? As others have said, it just doesnt feel right. And as we all know, half the fun of owning and running a special car is the thrill of pampering it, and I must admit I enjoy spending money on mine , little things like ordering the correct clips for the airbox to throttle body pipes when I know jubilee clips are just as good and reuseable, but feels like it is skimping, and not original,now I have to buy the correct tool for the clips, but again I enjoy searching for one . Thats the purpose of a hobby car, its a thing you enjoy tinkering and fettling and knowing that in most instances you will do a better or at least more attentive job than a third party will do to time constraints. 👍

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:27 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am Agreed, you'd have to be absolutely paranoid to worry about mixing those two. Same grade and specs pretty much, and both approved.
and quite possibly made in the esso factory 😖 similar to when it came out that swatch were producing movements for rolex and other top brands 😬

Z4hid

Post by Z4hid » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:04 pm

mad4slalom wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 pm And as we all know, half the fun of owning and running a special car is the thrill of pampering it, and I must admit I enjoy spending money on mine , little things like ordering the correct clips for the airbox to throttle body pipes when I know jubilee clips are just as good and reuseable, but feels like it is skimping, and not original,now I have to buy the correct tool for the clips, but again I enjoy searching for one . Thats the purpose of a hobby car, its a thing you enjoy tinkering and fettling and knowing that in most instances you will do a better or at least more attentive job than a third party will do to time constraints. 👍
I and many others here 100% agree with that!
Z4hid
Z4 Coupe | 3.0si | Grey | Amarone interior

Gustavo7

Post by Gustavo7 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 am

How much are you actually saving?

Different oil additives in same oil grade can still interact with each other, causing foaming as an example.

I’ve learned my lesson many many moons ago: stopping for fuel, noticed that the oil level on my Clio Williams (2.0L 150bhp) was getting lower than normal (there’s an oil level gauge) so rather than keeping the journey as it was, get home and top up I decided to get a 1L bottle of same grade oil at that petrol station. I was using Millers oil and topped up with Castrol, soon after that the hydraulic cam followers started to be noisy. (Tack tack tack noise)

It all went away after flushing the engine and putting new oil again.

For the sake of £20? I would risk mixing anything!
Imola Red Z4MC