Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rod bearing failure - what to do?

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 pm Once I’ve put my ‘new’ engine in (47k on it),
So are you doing the rod bearings on the 'new' engine, given I guess you have no idea on the past 47k usage?
Nothing to say you won't be in the same boat again at potentially some point soon if you don't imo. Whilst it's out of the car why not refresh it?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 pm

TomK wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 pm So are you doing the rod bearings on the 'new' engine, given I guess you have no idea on the past 47k usage?
Nothing to say you won't be in the same boat again at potentially some point soon if you don't imo. Whilst it's out of the car why not refresh it?
Bearings and Insp.II planned for the new engine before it goes in. Seemed no point in checking them for wear and not replacing them whilst it's all open :headbang:

Then keep some of the spare parts, for spares.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

TomK

Post by TomK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm

Good stuff :thumbsup: For sure that's the pragmatic approach. At least you'll have one less thing to worry about :lol:
bmw_schlaflos17rlwp.jpg
bmw_schlaflos17rlwp.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 am

TomK wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm Good stuff :thumbsup: For sure that's the pragmatic approach. At least you'll have one less thing to worry about
I’ve had Ms for a while, so sleep like a baby...unless it’s in a dealer for a service :roll:

Plus the amount I’ve saved in fuel & maintenance since I got the Alfa 147 means it’s not really cost me anything - I’m sure this is the same sort of thinking the UK Government uses too.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 am

tomscott wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:59 pm Same with Porsche I always thought it was internet scaremongering until I bought a car and 2 weeks later had a 12k bill for a rebuild...
Whether something is scaremongering or not is very easy to investigate.

If there are lots of different pictures on the internet of that problem (like there are on these rodbearing shells), then its a problem.
I mean, cross reference that with number pictures of bearingshells on the m54, an engine that is sold probably in tenfold to the s54.
You might find 1 or 2 if you look very hard :lol:
It's that difference with similar engines that says it all.

BTW doing rodbearings every 50k miles is only a 2p/mile extra maintenance cost. I think thats very reasonable for driving a sportscar that revs til 8krpm.
I mean if you'd go on a nice holiday trip, say from birmingham to florence italy, and do some driving there, that would only be £60 extra on car maintenance. Thats nothing imho.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am

I should think Florence would prove to be a disappointment for someone lucky enough to live in as magnificent and wonderous a place as Birmingham :lol:
I try to be pragmatic about such things - better a definite £1k cost every 50k miles than the potential for a £5-8k cost, huge inconvenience and a sense that the car has somehow betrayed you (a crazy emotional response I know!).
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am I try to be pragmatic about such things - better a definite £1k cost every 50k miles than the potential for a £5-8k cost, huge inconvenience and a sense that the car has somehow betrayed you (a crazy emotional response I know!).
Or having your car blown up in florence, and not have sufficient insurance to get alternative transport covered or the repatriation of your car.
Having had that twice (dont ask...) but with the right coverage, I can say how importatnt that is as I earned back my travelinsurance premium for the next 350 years or so :rofl:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Tusk

Post by Tusk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Is there a cost synergy to doing this at the same time as an inspection 2? Thought the quote of £1400 early in this thread for both seemed pretty good.

exdos

Post by exdos » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am I should think Florence would prove to be a disappointment for someone lucky enough to live in as magnificent and wonderous a place as Birmingham :lol:
You're getting mixed up with your Italian cities: Birmingham, with all its canals, is considered to be the Venice of the Midlands. :D :rofl:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:41 pm

exdos wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am I should think Florence would prove to be a disappointment for someone lucky enough to live in as magnificent and wonderous a place as Birmingham :lol:
You're getting mixed up with your Italian cities: Birmingham, with all its canals, is considered to be the Venice of the Midlands. :D :rofl:
Except Venice is sinking...then again so is Birmingham! :D
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:45 pm

GuidoK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 am
BMWZ4MC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am I try to be pragmatic about such things - better a definite £1k cost every 50k miles than the potential for a £5-8k cost, huge inconvenience and a sense that the car has somehow betrayed you (a crazy emotional response I know!).
Or having your car blown up in florence, and not have sufficient insurance to get alternative transport covered or the repatriation of your car.
Having had that twice (dont ask...) but with the right coverage, I can say how importatnt that is as I earned back my travelinsurance premium for the next 350 years or so :rofl:
I had a car that became terminally ill in Monaco. Fortunately I managed to nurse it back to London. I had no insurance for repatriation, so my strategy if it had failed completely would have been to abandon it, fly home and come back for it in a rented tow truck fitted with a winch!
S2000 GT - gone

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:45 pm
GuidoK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 am
I had a car that became terminally ill in Monaco. Fortunately I managed to nurse it back to London. I had no insurance for repatriation, so my strategy if it had failed completely would have been to abandon it, fly home and come back for it in a rented tow truck fitted with a winch!
I think now you’d just come back to tyre prints
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Tusk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:13 pm Is there a cost synergy to doing this at the same time as an inspection 2? Thought the quote of £1400 early in this thread for both seemed pretty good.
Not particularly - the jobs are at opposite ends of the engine (valve clearances on top, rod bearings in the bottom). The only thing in common is that you drop the oil for both the inspection service and the rod bearings.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

zmaster007

Post by zmaster007 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:38 am

An update from me on this.
All my invoices from the same dealer (2 oil, 2 inspection services) state the wrong oil was used. As they are unable to prove otherwise that the right oil was used, they are fixing the car. They offered a contribution to a new car of the retail value of the M in a running condition. I couldn't justify a new car right now, so it looks like LF78184 will be saved after all!

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:45 pm

zmaster007 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:38 am An update from me on this.
All my invoices from the same dealer (2 oil, 2 inspection services) state the wrong oil was used. As they are unable to prove otherwise that the right oil was used, they are fixing the car. They offered a contribution to a new car of the retail value of the M in a running condition. I couldn't justify a new car right now, so it looks like LF78184 will be saved after all!
Good to know you’ve got a solution which means you’re not out of pocket.

Might be worth supplying your own oil for future oil changes though...

:thumbsup:
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI