Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garage Storage - Humidity & Condition

"M" Specific discussion
srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:12 am Good point, I didn't realise there were two different types and desiccant is a must for space that go below 15 deg C :thumbsup:
Explanation https://www.meaco.com/blog/when-to-buy- ... umidifier/
I nearly bought the wrong type. Only doing some research did I discover this.

I bought one of these to go in my £80 Air Chamber. :D

https://www.meaco.com/dehumidifier/home ... rd-winning

And yes I need it. I have a pit which fills with water so putting the car in this is a good thing to do.
IMAG1784.jpg
IMAG1784.jpg (208.39 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:28 pm And here's me having thrown my M in a separate single skin garage since 21st December and not worried about it since :roll: :lol:

Honestly though mate I wouldn't worry that much, if you've not got damp literally running off the walls it'll be fine
+1

As long as you've got a decent amount of ventilation/airflow going through there shouldn't be a problem - it's not as though you're garaging a 1980's Lancia that'll turn into a pile of red dust if there's a damp tissue in the garage...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

grumps

Post by grumps » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Not much point in trying to dehumidify a garage unless its reasonably airtight, otherwise you'll be trying to dehumidify the world!

I looked after ventilation & AC on ships for a while and it was the devil's own job to try and convince people that the systems worked much more effectively if the upper deck doors were kept closed except for access.
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm

ClubberL wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 am I use a couple of these in the car, they work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pingi-Dehumidi ... +microwave
I have 2 of these in my Z4. One in each doorcard pocket. Ever since I put them in my car, the inside of the windscreen hasn't had condensation on. They certainly do their job very well :thumbsup:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Looney

Post by Looney » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:16 pm

I think ill chill out, installed eventuri and my csl's today and wow what a difference!
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:34 pm

grumps wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:01 pm Not much point in trying to dehumidify a garage unless its reasonably airtight, otherwise you'll be trying to dehumidify the world!
That’s exactly how I say it :lol:

Hence the carcoon.

Looney

Post by Looney » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 pm
Ewazix wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:12 am Good point, I didn't realise there were two different types and desiccant is a must for space that go below 15 deg C :thumbsup:
Explanation https://www.meaco.com/blog/when-to-buy- ... umidifier/
I nearly bought the wrong type. Only doing some research did I discover this.

I bought one of these to go in my £80 Air Chamber. :D

https://www.meaco.com/dehumidifier/home ... rd-winning

And yes I need it. I have a pit which fills with water so putting the car in this is a good thing to do.

IMAG1784.jpg
So best to get a proper chamber or you have an £80 tent?
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Proper Air chamber, just I got it for a bargain price :wink:

Looney

Post by Looney » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:55 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:47 pm Proper Air chamber, just I got it for a bargain price :wink:
Whats best chamber on market today?
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:29 pm

I’d get a carcoon given the choice, but the air chamber is a good second choice. If you get one with a frame then you can get the car in and out easily without dragging the cover over the car.

exdos

Post by exdos » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 pm
As long as you've got a decent amount of ventilation/airflow going through there shouldn't be a problem - it's not as though you're garaging a 1980's Lancia that'll turn into a pile of red dust if there's a damp tissue in the garage...
I have very large shed which has LOTS of ventilation and airflow passing through it. It experiences the full range of ambient temperatures throughout the year and I can keep tools and unpainted steel in it for years without rusting problems as well as vehicles. Airflow is the key to controlling moisture in an unheated environment.

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am

Looney wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:58 pm So looking for advice, i have moved my new M to my garage and purchased a humidity / temp sensor.

Its reading around 60-75 humidity and around 10 degree's in the garage.

Anyone can simplify the best way i can store the car long term, i am considering a airflow chamber as the car will only be used afew months a year, but they are like £450.
Hi looney, I have a couple of air chambers, one for my M C and one for my beach buggy, they are excellent for garages that are not that dry. Mine has steel roof sheets that condensate on those days where you get big temperature changes between night and day temps. The roof can be dripping wet but the car is bone dry in the chamber.
They run a couple of fans that just move air through the chamber and over the vehicle so the moisture cant form. One issue I suspect is that they can dry stuff out too much on occasion as I have noticed sticky hand brake and dry contacts on ignition switch if not used for long periods. Speak to Rob at airflow uk in oxfordshire ,great help and customer service, chambers come with trickle battery chargers for the vehicle, set up is 45 mins . Have just replaced my original chamber which lasted aprox 14 years and would have kept going. All spare parts are available overnight .
Best thing you can do for your vehicle if you dont have a weatherproof and heated integral garage. 👍

Looney

Post by Looney » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:31 pm

mad4slalom wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am
Looney wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:58 pm So looking for advice, i have moved my new M to my garage and purchased a humidity / temp sensor.

Its reading around 60-75 humidity and around 10 degree's in the garage.

Anyone can simplify the best way i can store the car long term, i am considering a airflow chamber as the car will only be used afew months a year, but they are like £450.
Hi looney, I have a couple of air chambers, one for my M C and one for my beach buggy, they are excellent for garages that are not that dry. Mine has steel roof sheets that condensate on those days where you get big temperature changes between night and day temps. The roof can be dripping wet but the car is bone dry in the chamber.
They run a couple of fans that just move air through the chamber and over the vehicle so the moisture cant form. One issue I suspect is that they can dry stuff out too much on occasion as I have noticed sticky hand brake and dry contacts on ignition switch if not used for long periods. Speak to Rob at airflow uk in oxfordshire ,great help and customer service, chambers come with trickle battery chargers for the vehicle, set up is 45 mins . Have just replaced my original chamber which lasted aprox 14 years and would have kept going. All spare parts are available overnight .
Best thing you can do for your vehicle if you dont have a weatherproof and heated integral garage. 👍
Thanks this is great knowledge.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:32 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:29 pm I’d get a carcoon given the choice, but the air chamber is a good second choice. If you get one with a frame then you can get the car in and out easily without dragging the cover over the car.
Carcoon imo not so good due to it collapsing on the vehicle when deflated . Cant imagine dragging that over a dirty vehicle covered in road grime and grit, must scratch it surely , airchamber stays up with a frame and has side access doors as well as rear vehicle door 👍

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Over insulating a garage will cause condensation unless it's very well ventilated.
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018