Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine oil choice

"M" Specific discussion
Mangozac

Engine oil choice

Post by Mangozac » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 pm

road warrior wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:14 pm
Spaniarduk wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:41 am Mangozac, do you use a lift or any other method to lift the car horizontally? otherwise I risk not being able 2 get all the oil out
patience is the clue, go for a short run and warm up the engine, put the car on axle stands, open the drain plug and let it drain for an hour,
and be careful removing the plug cus it well now be hot of course. if it proves too hot let it fall into the drain tray and retrieve it later. :thumbsup:
^^ Definitely this, the engine must be warm (not necessarily full operating temp but I'd suggest at least to the first mark on the gauge). I'm pretty sure the BMW instructions state this.

When the engine is warm all the oil is out in 10 minutes, it really doesn't take long to drain. I am fortunate enough to have a lift, but when I didn't I would lower the car back onto the ground while it's draining - as you suggest it is ideal to have the car level.

My suggestion for the oil itself: I'm in the Castrol Edge Supercar 10W60 camp. This is the replacement for the TWS which was originally developed specifically for the S54 engine.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

KevinC

Engine oil choice

Post by KevinC » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:22 pm

I use LiquiMoly Race Tech 10W-60, about half the cost of TWS here in the states, and readily available with free shipping from Amazon. It doesn't carry the specific BMW recommendation for the S54 but per LM, it meets the requirements and is quite popular.
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

Spaniarduk

Engine oil choice

Post by Spaniarduk » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:16 am

Thanks road warrior and Mangozac
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino