Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can you track the factory GPS that our car has?

"M" Specific discussion
FD3S

Post by FD3S » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 am

Ηello guys, yesterday they stole my precious. Is there a way to track the factory GPS?

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:29 am

FD3S wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 am Ηello guys, yesterday they stole my precious. Is there a way to track the factory GPS?
Don't know about the nav but sorry to hear that!! Lowest form of life!!! :x :x :x
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 am

Last edited by Yorkie Z on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Dirty M///

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:08 am

Yorkie Z wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 am What did they take, the screen or the cd drive? Did they do much damage?
I read it as the car was stolen?
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:32 am

Last edited by Yorkie Z on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Dirty M///

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:59 am

FD3S wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 am Ηello guys, yesterday they stole my precious. Is there a way to track the factory GPS?
No. As per quote below:

It's a cruel irony: Car navigation devices keep you from getting lost, but their location-sensing acumen won't help you find them if they get lost or stolen. Why not? Because location and tracking are two different matters. "The GPS calculates location for you. Communicating that location to a tracking center requires a separate service," says Kanwar Chadha, founder and vice president of SiRF Technology, the largest supplier of GPS chips to navigation device makers.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

TomK

Post by TomK » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:59 am

FFS! You've not had much luck with that car in Athens :( Gutted for you.
I don't know the answer for sure but I'm pretty certain it's a no. Many of the cars in the uk used to have a tracker fitted for insurance purposes I think.
I hope you have some luck getting it returned.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:32 am

There is no way to track a GPS receiver. Its like tracking a radio receiver unit. Not possible.. well not possible with OUR civil equipment.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Vanne wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:32 am There is no way to track a GPS receiver. Its like tracking a radio receiver unit. Not possible.. well not possible with OUR civil equipment.
Glad you added that last clause. :wink:

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 pm

F6F574FE-4026-4A97-ADE3-E42A461FF146.jpeg
F6F574FE-4026-4A97-ADE3-E42A461FF146.jpeg (134.17 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Gutted for you makes me think more about fitting a traker now think I will look into it.Maybe an idea if and when you get a replacement :headbang:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:00 pm

The last 4 days I am literally sick... I can't believe that I lost my beauty... I am thinking again and again how many years I have worked to get that car, how many nights I have slept of dreaming it, what I have been through working 12 hours per day to keep it in a perfect condition and all the good moments we had together. I know I may sound like a small boy, but I loved that car and was my joy, my psychotherapy. I was searching that car for 3 years and I have seen almost all the Z4M's of Greece to find this one.
I still can not believe it.
It is a great irony that my first topic that I opened here is viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80714 about Car Alarm - Antitheft Systems for Z4 M... I was afraid from day one that I will loose this car that way...

Every day I hope that my phone will ring and they will ask for "ransom" to get it back, but that never happens.

I had the same thought like Vanne's like if you are not in an intelligent agency you can not track a stock GPS but I was desperate and thought to ask if someone's knows something more.
TomK wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:59 am
FFS! You've not had much luck with that car in Athens :( Gutted for you.
I don't know the answer for sure but I'm pretty certain it's a no. Many of the cars in the uk used to have a tracker fitted for insurance purposes I think.
I hope you have some luck getting it returned.

Tom thanks my friend. Unfortunately I am sure that I will not find it. The guys who took it were professional. The car had a disklock, alarm and secret switch for the electricity. In the garage I had it, in front of my car was another car parked and those guys also broke in the other car and removed it so they can clear the way to get the Z out of the Garage. The funny thing is that also nobody heard anything during that night. You are right the last year was a nightmare for my car here. The situation in Athens with car thieves is out of control. I have to rethink a lot of things due of this...

During the next days I will collect all the data of the car and post it here and on zpost so in case anyone sees any part for sale knows what is going on and that the parts are stolen.

During all those years here I feel that I had made some new friends here. I would like to thank all of you for all those years that you have been a great company for me and you have helped me with any question I had.
Last edited by FD3S on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Well if you list
- alloy type with make of tyres & approx depth
- colour of interior
- chassis nos
- engine nos
- trust no Aeros...
- other bits you may have added

Then am sure there are quite a few who’ll keep an eye out on eBay etc... as there aren’t many of our cars & the likely purchasers for bits are us... & I’d hate to be in your position
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:43 pm

Oh man :(
Sad news.
I'd guess they're probably less than 10 M coupes in greece? In your colour... narrowing it down quite a bit.. With a CSL airbox.... one of a kind.
But I guess it's been driven straight to albania? :(
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Jembo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:37 pm Well if you list
- alloy type with make of tyres & approx depth
- colour of interior
- chassis nos
- engine nos
- trust no Aeros...
- other bits you may have added

Then am sure there are quite a few who’ll keep an eye out on eBay etc... as there aren’t many of our cars & the likely purchasers for bits are us... & I’d hate to be in your position
Within the next days I will try to collect all the needed data and post them. I had the same thing in mind that the market is so niche and by spreading the parts numbers maybe can someone can spot something. I'm not the first one in that position but I wish to be the last one.