Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Owner recommendation - suspension

"M" Specific discussion
Gwest44

Post by Gwest44 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Had the suspension checked out today on the Z4MC and the verdict was that most components had been renewed but the shock absorbers were original and the springs were lower than stock.

Was advised to look at the Bilstein B12 kit by way of an upgrade with the Eibach springs.

If you haven’t already guessed I’ve know idea what I’m talking about the car is effectively daily but not used every day and only on the road despite an unfulfilled desire to take it on a track day.

So my question is simple and I appreciate to a limited audience - based on you’re experience of owning the ///M which suspension setup would you recommend?
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 7xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 pm

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Gwest44

Post by Gwest44 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:28 pm

Looks like I missed these but would welcome any advice on the subject based on personal experience
Sapphire Black 23i

Rally

Post by Rally » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 am

I fitted kwv3 and they transformed the car inspiring a new level of confidence while giving a great ride, highly recommended :thumbsup:
Imola z4mr, carbon graphite ispiri FFR-6, mpss, gruppem, kw v3, oe strutbrace, aero skirts, schmiedmann carbon splitter, bcs exhaust, dice media, gaptech, F10 zhp & smiles every journey.

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 am

I put Bilstein B6's on my first Z4MC at about 40k miles, with stock springs. It was an excellent combo.

The B12 kit uses those same B6 dampers. In your situation, I think that's the direction I would take. Those shocks are bulletproof and warranted for as long as you own the car. I've had them on a bunch of cars over the years and they will easily do 100k+ miles and still not be worn out. If they do wear out or fail, Bilstein will replace (or rebuild) them for the original purchaser. At least here in the states.
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

Viren

Post by Viren » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:36 am

I've got the b12 blisteins and it's a nice bit of kit. Handling is definitely improved. It seems to absorb some bumps better than stock but is still very crashy over pot holes. I thought it was also fantastic on track days, very capable. Overall a great upgrade - while your doing this I'd suggest you replace the rear trailing arm bushes with the limiter kit and get the uprated top mounts for the rears.
07 Z4MC standard spec

Gwest44

Post by Gwest44 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:49 am

Appreciate that - definitely think that’s the way I will go and will keep my eyes peeled for some coming up for sale on the forum :thumbsup:
Sapphire Black 23i

zomby

Post by zomby » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread but as one of my rear springs have cracked, I believe I'm in a similar situation to the OP.

My initial thought is to just replace the springs all round with the Eibach Pro kit. I believe these are around £200 and around £150 to fit? However I've heard that original (assumed) shock absorbers and aftermarket springs aren't always a great idea.

However I'm not sure whether I should fork out a bit more and just go for coilovers all round. I've seen sets up for sale at around £600 with a fitting cost of around £300?

I intend to get a full alignment done regardless of the route I go down. I only do about 2-3k miles per year and haven't really had any complaints about the OEM suspension, I'm more after a reliable, long term fix.

Any help would be much appreciated, please let me know if any of my estimates are off!
Z4M Coupé - Sapphire Black/Imola Leather/Eventuri/BCS Powervalve Exhaust/Eibach Springs/Spacers/CSLs/Illuminated ZHP/Stubby

FN2 CTR - Daily

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:32 pm

+1 for the Billy kit

If you’re a novice track or want something firm yet controlled for the road, highly recommend the B12 kit.... full adjustable coil overs is another £1.5k ish

You then have 2 fitting choices
1. Cut down the front bump stops by about 15mm or fit some shorter ones,
2. REUSE the OEM front springs, but use new rear springs
as found it can annoyingly crash every so often.

Otherwise, feels like it’s been sucked into the tarmac, write up here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=109057
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

zomby

Post by zomby » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm

My bad, I seem to have got myself confused between coilovers and aftermarket shocks + springs! Coilovers would definitely be overkill for me as I'd max be doing one track day a year, if at all.

How much do the B12 + oem springs lower the car by? Ideally I wouldn't want the car too low in case of speed bumps and steep driveways, which is why the 20/10mm drop from the stock shocks + eibachs seem quite appealing. I'm also a bit worried that I'll get some rubbing on the arches as I've got CSL reps with 12mm spacers on.
Z4M Coupé - Sapphire Black/Imola Leather/Eventuri/BCS Powervalve Exhaust/Eibach Springs/Spacers/CSLs/Illuminated ZHP/Stubby

FN2 CTR - Daily

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm

zomby wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:58 pm However I'm not sure whether I should fork out a bit more and just go for coilovers all round. I've seen sets up for sale at around £600 with a fitting cost of around £300?
You can't get decent coilovers for that price - el cheapo coilovers would be a far worse choice than some quality B6's. I'd far sooner get the B12 kit than waste money on some questionable coilovers. A worthwhile set will cost you more than the B12 kit. And yes, do get a full alignment afterwards. Good luck!
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 pm

zomby wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm My bad, I seem to have got myself confused between coilovers and aftermarket shocks + springs! Coilovers would definitely be overkill for me as I'd max be doing one track day a year, if at all.

How much do the B12 + oem springs lower the car by? Ideally I wouldn't want the car too low in case of speed bumps and steep driveways, which is why the 20/10mm drop from the stock shocks + eibachs seem quite appealing. I'm also a bit worried that I'll get some rubbing on the arches as I've got CSL reps with 12mm spacers on.
If don’t want springs, then forget the B12 kit and just buy the Bilstein shocks. However, replacing the rear springs is almost essential maintenance from my book
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

zomby

Post by zomby » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I think for now I'll try the Eibach springs with stock shocks and see how I get on. That should hopefully surpress the modding bug for the next few months at least!

Here's a pictures of the old springs...
IMG_20190209_144312.jpg
IMG_20190209_144312.jpg (163.85 KiB) Viewed 868 times

FN2 CTR - Daily

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:42 pm

That spring looks like the end has cracked and fell off - a standard end would be smoother, complete a full, flat loop at the bottom and not be rusty.

Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Viren

Post by Viren » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm

zomby wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm Thanks for all the advice, I think for now I'll try the Eibach springs with stock shocks and see how I get on. That should hopefully surpress the modding bug for the next few months at least!

Here's a pictures of the old springs...
IMG_20190209_144312.jpg
If your paying someone to install it might work out better to replace the shocks as well in the long run.... just a thought.
07 Z4MC standard spec