Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dead battery....doors unlocked

"M" Specific discussion
AldridgeZ4

Post by AldridgeZ4 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:03 pm

I haven't used the zed for a few weeks and thought I'd hook up the Ctek overnight. The car was unlocked and the battery totally dead, so dead that the ctek wouldn't charge it. I'm sure that I locked the car and I check it every now and then so can't understand why it was unlocked. My overactive imagination is worried about some sort of theft attempt, but their isn't any signs of damage or forced entry. Would the doors automatically unlock as the battery is about to die?
The battery was from 2013, so I've bit the bullet and ordered a new one.
Now gone.......Z4MR. 2007. Boring silver.
MY05 honda S2000

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 pm

It shouldn't unlock with a low battery. You can open it manually with the key so no need for an auto unlock feature.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:10 pm

NickDE wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 pm It shouldn't unlock with a low battery. You can open it manually with the key so no need for an auto unlock feature.
This.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:15 am

People have posted similar experiences over the years, several realised that they or someone with the other key had accidentally plipped a key in their pocket or bag etc. Leaving these cars unlocked also tends to run down the battery as systems don't go in to sleep mode.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:14 am

Ewazix wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:15 am Leaving these cars unlocked also tends to run down the battery as systems don't go in to sleep mode.
Not according to what I measured when trying to track down a parasitic power draw issue. Regardless of the locked state of the car everything shuts down into sleep mode after a few minutes of being idle.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Interesting finding and contrary to the experience of several members with battery drain problems including a recent thread,
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111017&p=1612874

As a matter of interest how did you measure the draw when the car is shut down? I had a hell's own job working out how to measure drops in different states over fuses when tracing a drain, particularly since the alarm module(s) will not be set or the car shut down fully with the bonnet open? :|
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Ewazix, I actually had an ammeter in series with the battery - after a few minutes the current drops right down to something like 45mA. The same as the target sleep current figure is specified in ISTA. Note that all doors were closed but not locked (the boot was open so I could see the meter but a screwdriver was placed into the latch so the car thought it was closed).

Rapid battery drain is caused by faulty electronics - control modules that don't sleep. In my case it was my Gaptech module intermittently keeping one of the other modules awake.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Mangozac wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 pm Ewazix, I actually had an ammeter in series with the battery - after a few minutes the current drops right down to something like 45mA. The same as the target sleep current figure is specified in ISTA. Note that all doors were closed but not locked (the boot was open so I could see the meter but a screwdriver was placed into the latch so the car thought it was closed).

Rapid battery drain is caused by faulty electronics - control modules that don't sleep. In my case it was my Gaptech module intermittently keeping one of the other modules awake.
Crafty work :thumbsup:
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost