Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fog lights

"M" Specific discussion
Gorms

Fog lights

Post by Gorms » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:00 am

Hello everyone, I just acquired a 2006 E 85 MR and need to add fog lights, I wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to specific lights that work well and are bright?

Tcochrane92

Fog lights

Post by Tcochrane92 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am

It doesn't have front fog lights for a reason - to increase air flow into the wheel and brakes area. I would not advise blocking these areas with aftermarket fogs
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Fog lights

Post by buzyg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

Why do you need to fit fog lights? :?

The picture police will be here shortly. :wink:

Gorms

Fog lights

Post by Gorms » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:02 am

I understand and agree with not blocking duct for air to brakes now that you point it out. I am just exploring how to throw more light to the front left and right of car while driving. I do a lot of night driving where Deer have a tendency to cross in front you without warning.

EssexZed

Fog lights

Post by EssexZed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:16 am

Given the short throw of light provided by fog lights I’m wondering how these would help in spotting and avoiding deer running across the road :-?

Bottom

Fog lights

Post by Bottom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm

I live in the Highlands, lots of deer on the roads. Foglights will make no difference in your chances of avoiding one of the dumb buggers. Last one that I hit jumped a conifer hedge to get on the road in front of me.
Try deer whistles instead :D

Gorms

Fog lights

Post by Gorms » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:37 am

I do run with deer whistles and have decided to scrape idea of added lights. No good place to mount them with really looking bad.

Adam D

Fog lights

Post by Adam D » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 am

Change the HID bulbs to the latest and greatest Osram/Philips offering to maximise the available light and get the aim dialled in. Makes night driving so much better :D
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Fog lights

Post by enzed4 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:46 am

Interesting topic. I recall the same reason being used on another forum, ie, the member always drove at night with fog lights on as they helped him see to the sides of the car when driving in the country so he could spot things (like wildlife) that the less than stellar Z4 headlights couldn't pick up.
As pointed out above, the throw of the fog light beams is so short (they're not called fog lights because they can punch through the fog with million candlepower beams) that by the time you actually saw anything you'd have either a: hit the object or b: driven past it by the time you realised what it was.
I found the fog lights in my E85 to be good for two things - driving in fog (how about that?) and for use as DRL's until I got aftermarket headlights with halos in them to use as DRL's. They didn't help one bit in improving peripheral vision at night. Plus, it is actually illegal to drive with them at night if it's not foggy here (but I've never heard of anyone ever being pulled over for it :wink: ).
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport