Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exhaust Baffle / Joint Failure

"M" Specific discussion
Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:59 am

Been out and about a fair bit in my E85 yesterday and everything was running perfectly, but just before I got home I went over one of the many shockingly poor Oxford road surfaces, which caused several harsh jolts in the car. Didn't hear anything wrong as I pulled onto my driveway.

A few hours later, I was heading out to hang out with some of my car buddies and all of a sudden on start up the volume of the car was almost twice as loud. I wasn't sure if it was just because I started the car with the window down and was hearing it properly for the first time when it was cold. I drove a couple of miles to the petrol station and once I got to the car park we all meet up at, I was able to listen to the car and rev it, without having to worry about upsetting anyone. This is when I realised something was not right.

I thought I might have had one of the joints in the system come loose, but when I got it back home, dad told me that he thought it might be the baffles in one of the back boxes. As I was driving it home, I did notice some rattling and the overrun was utterly savage. Dad even had the cheek to say that he thought it sounded better the way it now sounds :headbang:

I am hoping I will be able to get it all sorted out in the next few days, without too big of an bill to either replace the knackered section/backbox. Come the summertime, I might look at possibly having a whole new system fitted to the car. Normally I would look at getting a stainless system installed, but I am a tad warey as my dad's E46 M3 Cab had a stainless system installed and I always found it to be really boomy, especially when doing a cold start. Due to previously having a big fall out with one of my next door neighbours, over how loud my Subaru Impreza P1's exhaust was (it was a Blitz NUR Spec) and that over Christmas and New Years, I had came back home in the middle of the night, waking up a very hung over neighbour, I made sure to avoid having another really loud car, as things we no longer bad between my folks and next door.

Could anyone please recommend me a make and brand of stainless system for my E85, that is going to avoid the above traits (if at all possible). I really love how the OEM system was pretty quiet when doing a cold start and low RPM, yet once I got above the 3000RPM region, it would suddenly come alive and give that oh so eargasmic BMW straight six scream. I would guess a system with a butterfly valve, remotely operated is the most effective way of having the quieter start up and town driving, with it then being opened for when I wanted to go full hoon mode, once away from any built up areas? If I could have this happen without the requirement for a valve, in a stainless system, then as long as it didn't make me sound like an utter chav (It's bad enough I look a dress like one anyway lol), I would go for that system.

I recently discovered that both AC Schnitzer and Hartge did systems for the Z4M. I use to love the AC Schnitzer Stainless system they did on the E36 328i/M3 and a video clip on their website of their Z4M demo car, sounded pretty bloody brilliant, but due to video compression codec, it could sound totally different in person.

Because I am planning on keeping hold of my E85 M for a long time, I am prepared to invest in a high quality system, as I should get plenty of good use out of it.

Thanks in advance for any help, you are able to offer me on this!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 am

The OEM exhaust is stainless. The backbox clamps have probably failed. Common issue and about £30 to repair using the clamps available on eBay. Lookup m3 exhaust clamps.

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 am

srhutch wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 am The OEM exhaust is stainless. The backbox clamps have probably failed. Common issue and about £30 to repair using the clamps available on eBay. Lookup m3 exhaust clamps.
Well I be blown away!

If it's a common enough issue, it will at least give me peace of mind that it can be sorted out easily.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:11 pm

this is what you are probably after. Just the one set required.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-E46- ... :rk:2:pf:0

Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Sorry to hijack a thread (but may be helpful for OP as well)...

I've just removed my original backbox to fit a new pair of modified OEM boxes. I had ordered the Ebay flanges, but was foolish enough to go ahead and think I'd swap them further down the line when the car is next up in the air.

Anyway, my query is, how do I get the original flanges off from both sides to attach back on to my new muffler? I was under the impression they'd just come apart and 'fall off'... but clearly not the sort I thought they would be.

It's a bit of a silly situation I've got myself into... and I do feel rather stupid for attempting it now and not just waiting for the new flanges... but then I'd still have the issue of how to get the old one off of the mid section?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, as I need to drive out tomorrow so will either have to put the old one back on again, or go muffler-less until I get it sorted :headbang:

dgm

Post by dgm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:05 pm

You can’t reuse the original flanges for your new boxes, they need cut off to allow the replacement ones linked to above to be fitted although I appreciate you’re fitting new items. Looks like the original boxes will have to go back on.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:56 pm

dgm wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:05 pm You can’t reuse the original flanges for your new boxes, they need cut off to allow the replacement ones linked to above to be fitted although I appreciate you’re fitting new items. Looks like the original boxes will have to go back on.
Yeah I've just got that same answer from the guy I bought them from. Ah well... at least I've had a practice run at it and cleaned the bolts up for next time.

Cheers

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Got my local indie to look at it and it is the bracket that has gone. Dealer will order a new one in and get it installed for me next week.

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:20 pm

The dealer got a garage to fix the problem for me yesterday. The flanges and bracket were FUBAR , so they fabricated a way to seal the joint. Whether or not it will last, I don't know, but the system itself is actually in good nick bar the flanges.

Drove it today and it's all fine. I do think however that I will end up having to do something else down the line.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:08 pm

Felix79 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:20 pm The dealer got a garage to fix the problem for me yesterday. The flanges and bracket were FUBAR , so they fabricated a way to seal the joint. Whether or not it will last, I don't know, but the system itself is actually in good nick bar the flanges.

Drove it today and it's all fine. I do think however that I will end up having to do something else down the line.
The inner "trumpet" once goosed can be a swine to seal longterm , i would keep your eye out for a set of used boxes , very often trade on here around £200/£250
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:58 am