Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Valve clearance check and shim replacement. Input from the DIY-er

"M" Specific discussion
srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 pm

ph001 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 pm The point about temperature is a good one. You will find the just having the ambient go from 7’C to 20’C will put them out of spec (yes the tolerance really is that tight). The fact that the engine has to work just as well at 10’C as it does a 90’C does make a bit of a mockery out of it imho.
The engine doesn’t work so well at 10’C though, that’s why you need to let it warm up. The tolerance at cold is to compensate for the operating temperature.

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:18 am

Thanks ph001 👍
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:20 am

srhutch, also a good point.
Overall it os clear that to be able to do a good job of the valve clearance check it is best for the engine to be at about 20C
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:57 am

Having seen the instructions with the kit, I’m think I’ll adjust the valve clearances on mine next time. It removes the stress of trying to find a competent mechanic with experience of the S54 in Sydney too.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:40 pm john-e89, thanks John. I'll be plucking up the necessary bravery between now and the spring :tumbleweed: lol.
To be fair in my job I do carry out repairs (I'm a Carl Zeiss Confocal Microscopy service engineer) where in essence the processes and method are not that dissimilar. All i need is a quiet corner, pen, paper and break up the task. The rest comes on its own after that.

john-e89, it sounds like youve done this before. Where do you source your shims? Did you buy a whole kit or just the required ones, once you measured?
Hey Spaniard,

I used individual shims once I’d measured as these cars are a toy so time wasn’t an issue which was the best approach for me as I could get the exact shims I wanted. I can’t comment on the shim kits I’m afraid as I’ve never used one. Best of luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks john-e89, just what i was thinking. My Z4MR is a fair weather toy, so no particular rush in getting it done. Only shame is that I'll have to wait for the warmer weather to do it.
The kit mentioned in one of the other posts seems amazing value, though!
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm Thanks john-e89, just what i was thinking. My Z4MR is a fair weather toy, so no particular rush in getting it done. Only shame is that I'll have to wait for the warmer weather to do it.
The kit mentioned in one of the other posts seems amazing value, though!
It does certainly, however my slight ocd would leave a thought always wondering if the kit shims are as hard as OEM, buying genuine shims knocks that issue out. Maybe they’re all made by the same people I don’t know but....you get it. But maybe that’s just me being a bit OTT admittedly. :roll:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:10 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:57 am Having seen the instructions with the kit, I’m think I’ll adjust the valve clearances on mine next time. It removes the stress of trying to find a competent mechanic with experience of the S54 in Sydney too.
Richard I’m coming over in April with Swmbo, with a bit of luck you’ll get that drink I owe you :drinkwine: :drinkwine: we’re staying in North Curl Curl on the Northern Beaches :thumbsup: sorry OP for the highjack :oops: :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:25 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 pm It does certainly, however my slight ocd would leave a thought always wondering if the kit shims are as hard as OEM, buying genuine shims knocks that issue out. Maybe they’re all made by the same people I don’t know but....you get it. But maybe that’s just me being a bit OTT admittedly. :roll:
John, I've seen on the E46 forums people have had the Wiseco shims tested and shown them to be identical to the OEM shims in regards to size, hardness, etc. It's good enough for my level of OCD :)

Edit: I decided to be less lazy and actually look up the post. I think this is as good a recommendation as any: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=467647
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:07 am

Mangozac, interesting read :thumbsup: now ill have a look to see of we can get those shim kits in the U.K.
Thanks again
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:54 am

Darren Slone wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:10 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:57 am Having seen the instructions with the kit, I’m think I’ll adjust the valve clearances on mine next time. It removes the stress of trying to find a competent mechanic with experience of the S54 in Sydney too.
Richard I’m coming over in April with Swmbo, with a bit of luck you’ll get that drink I owe you :drinkwine: :drinkwine: we’re staying in North Curl Curl on the Northern Beaches :thumbsup: sorry OP for the highjack :oops: :thumbsup:
Excellent, I’ll PM my number to you :thumbsup:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Mangozac wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:25 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 pm It does certainly, however my slight ocd would leave a thought always wondering if the kit shims are as hard as OEM, buying genuine shims knocks that issue out. Maybe they’re all made by the same people I don’t know but....you get it. But maybe that’s just me being a bit OTT admittedly. :roll:
John, I've seen on the E46 forums people have had the Wiseco shims tested and shown them to be identical to the OEM shims in regards to size, hardness, etc. It's good enough for my level of OCD :)

Edit: I decided to be less lazy and actually look up the post. I think this is as good a recommendation as any: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=467647
Well there you go, just ask someone who knows... :lol:

Thanks very much for that Mangozac, very good info. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

beanie

Post by beanie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:34 am

I’ve been using the wiseco shims for years and so far (touch wood) nothing out of the ordinary has happened. They don’t appear to wear abnormally compared to the oem shims and are still in spec when used and checked with a micrometer.

Apart from the shim tool, you’ll need a big ol’ socket to turn the engine-I think it’s 32mm from memory, but check that on one of the guides online. :)
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks beanie.
Every how many miles do you check the valve clearance? Do you find you have to replace shims every time you check the valve clearance?
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

beanie

Post by beanie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:01 pm

They’re meant to be checked every inspection so that’s a maximum of about 28k miles if you go by the service indicator.

I tend to do them once, sometimes twice a year and although some might find it excessive, I’ve generally found I’ll need to change a couple of shims.

No harm to be doing it yearly imo and tbh, if mine was a track car I’d do it more frequently.
RUBYIMOLACARBON