Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Valve clearance check and shim replacement. Input from the DIY-er

"M" Specific discussion
Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:53 am

Hello everyone.

Who's done the Valve clearance check and shim replacement themselves. My Z4MR is now 30k miles and im guessing it's time to have the valve clearance checked.

1. Is it really as complex to do as many (including BMW) make out to be?

2. What special tools to you need, apart from the plastic tool with the magnet to remove the old and deposot the new shims in place?

3. Where do you source the replacement shims from? Any specific brand? Retailer? OEM BMW?

4. Is it possible to purchase individual shims in the required thicknesses?

5. Bearing in mind my garage is detached and not temperature controlled (very cold in the winter!) would you advice to wait for warmer weather due to the effect of temperature with tolerances?

Thanks in advanced
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:34 am

1. It's not complex but I wouldn't recommend DIY if you're not already an experienced DIYer. It does require a certain methodical approach and familiarity with using feeler gauges.

2. If I remember correctly the shim tool is the only necessary special tool required.

3. Get the Wiseco shim kit. People have had them tested and the characteristics (hardness, etc.) are the same as the OEM ones. That's what I use:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-s5 ... iseco-vsk4.

4. You can buy individual shims from BMW but it's way too much screwing around and you have to go into the engine twice.

5. Definitely don't do it in the cold. It needs to be done at standard room temperature, around 25°C (give or take a reasonable tolerance of maybe 5-10°C).

Hope that helps! :)
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:43 am

Mangozac, wow excellent, thanks for all the info!
I guess itll be a job for the spring, then... oh well. I'll have to go in my garage and look at it while I sip on a hot cup of coffee. Zeddie is currently off the road.
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 am

Spaniarduk no worries mate! There's heaps of related info on the internet (benefits of having a rare car that shares the engine with relatively high production performance car) but feel free to PM if you have any other questions ;)
Find one of the clearance charts online that have everything laid out as it helps make sure you're doing it the right way.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:35 am

Mangozac wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 am Spaniarduk no worries mate! There's heaps of related info on the internet (benefits of having a rare car that shares the engine with relatively high production performance car) but feel free to PM if you have any other questions ;)
Find one of the clearance charts online that have everything laid out as it helps make sure you're doing it the right way.
How lovely to read a positive and friendly post, top drawer :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Darren Slone wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:35 am
Mangozac wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 am Spaniarduk no worries mate! There's heaps of related info on the internet (benefits of having a rare car that shares the engine with relatively high production performance car) but feel free to PM if you have any other questions ;)
How lovely to read a positive and friendly post, top drawer :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: really helpful and encouraging indeed, Mangozac
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:53 am Hello everyone.

Who's done the Valve clearance check and shim replacement themselves. My Z4MR is now 30k miles and im guessing it's time to have the valve clearance checked.

1. Is it really as complex to do as many (including BMW) make out to be?

2. What special tools to you need, apart from the plastic tool with the magnet to remove the old and deposot the new shims in place?

3. Where do you source the replacement shims from? Any specific brand? Retailer? OEM BMW?

4. Is it possible to purchase individual shims in the required thicknesses?

5. Bearing in mind my garage is detached and not temperature controlled (very cold in the winter!) would you advice to wait for warmer weather due to the effect of temperature with tolerances?

Thanks in advanced
Hope all goes well Spaniard, I’ll be doing the same job come springtime too. Mangozac is quite right and just take your time, be methodical and don’t rush, you’ll be fine. Best of luck. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:40 pm

john-e89, thanks John. I'll be plucking up the necessary bravery between now and the spring :tumbleweed: lol.
To be fair in my job I do carry out repairs (I'm a Carl Zeiss Confocal Microscopy service engineer) where in essence the processes and method are not that dissimilar. All i need is a quiet corner, pen, paper and break up the task. The rest comes on its own after that.

john-e89, it sounds like youve done this before. Where do you source your shims? Did you buy a whole kit or just the required ones, once you measured?
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:24 pm

A ‘How to’ write up with tons of pics as you go along would be fab... I wouldn’t dare do it though am sure others would find it very helpful.

Just remember the pics, as without them
:worthless:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:40 pm john-e89, thanks John. I'll be plucking up the necessary bravery between now and the spring :tumbleweed: lol.
To be fair in my job I do carry out repairs (I'm a Carl Zeiss Confocal Microscopy service engineer) where in essence the processes and method are not that dissimilar. All i need is a quiet corner, pen, paper and break up the task. The rest comes on its own after that.

john-e89, it sounds like youve done this before. Where do you source your shims? Did you buy a whole kit or just the required ones, once you measured?
Here’s the kit..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-b ... 93743~kt2/
A Dirty M///

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Yorkie Z wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:17 pm
Spaniarduk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:40 pm john-e89, thanks John. I'll be plucking up the necessary bravery between now and the spring :tumbleweed: lol.

Here’s the kit..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-b ... 93743~kt2/
The problem with buying the shim kit is you get a whole load of shims that are not really useful and not enough of the one's you will most likely need.
If time permits I would suggest measuring first and then buying those individual shims you require from BMW.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:36 pm

TomK, thanks :thumbsup:
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Gosh! The link also comes with detailed instructions! That's ace!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Darren Slone wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:35 am How lovely to read a positive and friendly post, top drawer :thumbsup:
For my mates and I helping each other DIY is a big part of what being a car enthusiast is about :)
Spaniarduk wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:40 pm To be fair in my job I do carry out repairs (I'm a Carl Zeiss Confocal Microscopy service engineer) where in essence the processes and method are not that dissimilar. All i need is a quiet corner, pen, paper and break up the task. The rest comes on its own after that.
In that case you should be absolutely fine! Indeed it's not a dissimilar set of skills.
TomK wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:34 pm The problem with buying the shim kit is you get a whole load of shims that are not really useful and not enough of the one's you will most likely need.
If time permits I would suggest measuring first and then buying those individual shims you require from BMW.
This is true, but the price of the kit is quite reasonable and it's rare that the kit won't suffice, so for me it's a convenience thing. Also, the cost of parts from BMW Australia is silly and it's not really cost effective to order just a couple of shims from overseas.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 pm

The point about temperature is a good one. You will find the just having the ambient go from 7’C to 20’C will put them out of spec (yes the tolerance really is that tight). The fact that the engine has to work just as well at 10’C as it does a 90’C does make a bit of a mockery out of it imho.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.