Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Valve clearance check and shim replacement. Input from the DIY-er

"M" Specific discussion
Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:03 pm

beanie wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:01 pm They’re meant to be checked every inspection so that’s a maximum of about 28k miles if you go by the service indicator.

I tend to do them once, sometimes twice a year and although some might find it excessive, I’ve generally found I’ll need to change a couple of shims.

No harm to be doing it yearly imo and tbh, if mine was a track car I’d do it more frequently.
It makes sense... my Z had its Inspection 2 done shortly befpre i bought it 2 years ago at 26k miles at an official BMW dealer. That Inspection 2 cost just over 600 quid and there was no mention to any valve clearance check being done, which I thought was a little odd. Now it's just over 30k and I begining to feel it's overdue. :?
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:03 pm
beanie wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:01 pm They’re meant to be checked every inspection so that’s a maximum of about 28k miles if you go by the service indicator.

I tend to do them once, sometimes twice a year and although some might find it excessive, I’ve generally found I’ll need to change a couple of shims.

No harm to be doing it yearly imo and tbh, if mine was a track car I’d do it more frequently.
It makes sense... my Z had its Inspection 2 done shortly befpre i bought it 2 years ago at 26k miles at an official BMW dealer. That Inspection 2 cost just over 600 quid and there was no mention to any valve clearance check being done, which I thought was a little odd. Now it's just over 30k and I begining to feel it's overdue. :?
This is the exact reason I’m so anti dealers, they’ll happily take £600 off you for changing, if they even did that, the oil. I’d bet my best poker hand on them going nowhere near the valve clearances. Even if you specify it before the ins 2 I’d wager they just give you a load of bull***t and say all is well, all within tolerance based on the engine sound alone. They’re crooks.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 pm

I think I remember mmm-five having evidence that the cam cover hadn’t been removed despite the dealer claiming to have checked the valve clearances...
Like many things in life, if you have the skills you’re better doing it yourself!
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:37 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 pm Like many things in life, if you have the skills you’re better doing it yourself!
Oh boy don't get me started! :headbang:
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:13 pm

I wonder how many ZM cars are running around that haven’t had the running in service done by the stealers,despite what the book says, there will 100% be some. These cars especially bring out a quite extraordinary level of paranoia in some people, stating that they refuse to buy one without a full dealer history. Personally I’d rather buy one that hadn’t got that, the more Indi services the better, at least that way you stand half a chance that the thing has had some oil at some point.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29