Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What is normal for coolant/oil temp?

"M" Specific discussion
Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:14 pm

I’m sure my oil temperature gauge used to reach 10/11 o clock so I thought I would plug in my OBD2 ELM widget and dashcommand to see what was happening. From cold the coolant warmed up to 70c fairly quickly but then on dashcommand took quite a long time to get to 80c. This seemed fairly low to me but I haven’t anything to compare to. The temp would rise a few degrees when stopped but dropped to 78 ish on 70mph cruise.

I then did the test function on the dashboard ‘secret menu’ and test 7.0 reported 87/88c whilst dash command app was reading ~80c via obd2 port, this seemed more reasonable. Not sure why the figures are different so may see if I can get a better tool to measure it on a laptop.

If anyone knows what the normal coolant temp should be and the thermostat opening temp that would be really helpful, maybe it’s become weak and passing coolant to the rad too early.

Does anyone know if the oil cooler has a thermostat too?

Cheers in advance.

Ad
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm not sure if it's any help but I'm sure mine settles around 90-92 degs under normal use?
IMOLA Z4///MR

53Fatman

Post by 53Fatman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi,

the secret menu on the Z4 doesnt show the coolant temperature (like the E46s), it shows the oil temperature too. So 90 to 95°C should be normal. The oil cooler thermostat in the oil filter housing opens at around 95°C. The water thermostat in most M engines opens at 80°C so your readings are absolutely correct :thumbsup:

Regards

Fatman