Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone gone from Z4M to M3 E92

"M" Specific discussion
survivalist

Post by survivalist » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Think I posted on the M Market Watch thread that I’m having similar thoughts. Main reason for me is the arrival of children and the realisation that I now get very limited time to enjoy the Z4M and take the family car 99% of the time.

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve driven an E90 and E92 M3 as well as a C63 AMG (the older model with the 6.2L engine). Have to say I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the M3, which was a real disappointment.

On paper it seemed like it would be ideal - decent boot and rear seats and a screaming engine. However whether pushing on or just pottering about, you can really feel the weight of the car and while the Z4 likes revs, the S65 engine does its best work between 6000-8300 rpm. I also found the steering feel to be really odd (light and lacking in feel) in all buy full atttack mode. Having googled it it seems I’m in the minority, but the Variatronic steering really bugged me.

In comparison, the feel and feedback of the Z is always there, even if you’re not wringing our the engine. I also found the S54 to feel more torquey from 3000 ish rpm (the S65 felt similar at 6000 rpm).

Maybe I’m getting old, but from a handling perspective the C63 felt pretty vague all of the time, whether pottering or flooring it. Makes an amazing noise but felt a bit ‘one trick pony’ to me. On a B road it got out of shape alarmingly quickly.

ETA - Both the M3's I tried were DCT. I am wondering whether I should try a manual, but to some extent this defeats the point as Mrs Survivalist doesn't want a manual. Shame, as these seem to be a bargain at the moment, especially the early cars.

daz05

Post by daz05 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Op, that sounds like my old car. Jerez black by chance?

I swapped my coupe for it and kept it 4 years, it's had another couple of owners since then i think as I saw it advertised for sale on m3cutters.

I remember the first drive, felt big, clunky and a bit too quiet but that's why it had the exhaust mod and suspension mods carried out.

I'd take the comments in here with a pinch of salt, they take some time to get under your skin, whereas the Zed feels great initially it disappoints when pushed (without proper suspension) the M3 is the opposite, drive it properly back to back with your own.

Any questions on the car you can drop me a pm.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 am

Really interesting thread and reading!

Have you looked at the 1M? I think that could be a suitable zed replacement?

If you need the bigger car I'd bite the bullet and try and pickup a nice spec F30 M3, they look good with the arches and they do have a sense of occasion with the ridiculous turbo lag and torque, felt like a modern day Sierra cosworth to me!
IMOLA Z4///MR

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:25 pm

RedUn wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 am Really interesting thread and reading!

If you need the bigger car I'd bite the bullet and try and pickup a nice spec F30 M3, they look good with the arches and they do have a sense of occasion with the ridiculous turbo lag and torque, felt like a modern day Sierra cosworth to me!
The 1M is a nice car but totally different price point from an E92 M3 which are now anywhere from £10K upwards.

goon

Post by goon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Spend the £4.5k on an estate car and keep the z. You will miss it when its gone, I certainly do, or part ex it with my Honda civic.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Tyreman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:25 pm

The 1M is a nice car but totally different price point from an E92 M3 which are now anywhere from £10K upwards.
There's not that much difference between a nice M3 and a reasonable 1M in all fairness...
IMOLA Z4///MR

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm

RedUn wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 pm
Tyreman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:25 pm

There's not that much difference between a nice M3 and a reasonable 1M in all fairness...
Hardly when the vast majority of 1Ms start at £40K :rofl:

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 pm

In all fairness your right! Just had a nosey, M3s have taken a bit of a dive in the last 12 months! I was looking at nice ones for mid to late 30s last year :?
IMOLA Z4///MR

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 pm

RedUn wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 pm In all fairness your right! Just had a nosey, M3s have taken a bit of a dive in the last 12 months! I was looking at nice ones for mid to late 30s last year :?
Yes they've taken a right battering, you can get the V8 M3 as a BMW AUC for £16K and upwards :driving:

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm not sure on your budget, but wouldn't the 1M be a better option? It's small size is closer to the Z4's (I am guessing) than what the M3 is.

Also the 1M just looks bloody brilliant and they seem to really hit the mark as an M car.

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Ive now more or less now given up on the idea of switching
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Mad Professor wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:51 pm Ive now more or less now given up on the idea of switching
:thumbsup: :rofl:

It's one of them man moments, used to happen
to me every few months! The best thing I did with my zed was sink a load into on the bits I wanted, made a huge difference to the car and now I don't think about swapping it for anything, it's a keeper!

How that for financial advise? :evil:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I had a z4m and probably 3 years ago tried an e60 M6 and an early e92 M3, wasn't convinced at all.

A few years without the Z4m and I've bought an e92 comp and love it (actually went out to buy a c63 - really didn't gel with it at all), Not sure if it's just I drive differently now, or if its a combo of the wider track, pilot sports, lower height and the MDM etc etc when pressing on it's a different level, very sharp turn in and feels agile (some say too stiff, but I like it that way) but you have to work it a certain way to get the best out of it. Bouncing between the gears higher up the range is a treat, I find you have to drive it similarly to the Z4 to a degree..

Back to back it weighs the same as the Z4M 75 extra hp, 25 lbs/ft of torque.

Doesn't feel big when you're hustling it about as such but it does feel.. completely different. It's not really down on torque too badly when you think it's only 20 or so down on a similar age a4 - but weighs 200kg less and doesn't have the same sniff of understeer.

BUT the thing is - if you like the Z4M then there will be a reason for it. The hydro steering has a certain heaviness to it, the back has a certain skiddishness, the slightly hoppy first gear, the heavy clutch etc all combines to give a certain character to it. The tight cabin and sitting arse-over the rear axle just gives a feeling that you can't expect to get from a larger coupe.

I wouldn't trade back per say, but at the same time really miss mine, will deffo have another one day!
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:24 pm

I’ve had a 13 plate comp pack e92 m3 dtc and they are better in every way than a Z4mc ... other than the looks department. Handle better , go better , more comfortable .

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Always fancied a home-brew E90 CRT project. Looking at prices at the moment it's still very tempting! You'd just need to source "normal" carbon panels instead of the fancy honeycomb stuff.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone