Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone gone from Z4M to M3 E92

"M" Specific discussion
mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm Back to back it weighs the same as the Z4M 75 extra hp, 25 lbs/ft of torque.
I thought the M3 (both standard and Comp Pack) were almost 200kg heavier than a Z4MC (i.e. about 1650kg vs 1450kg kerb weight)?

I know the CRT and GTS were lighter than their standard M3 counterparts (by 45kg and 135kg respectively).

BTW, the e92 M3 is almost the same weight as my old e34 3.6 M5 (only 315bhp though, although no traction/stability control).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:54 pm
Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm Back to back it weighs the same as the Z4M 75 extra hp, 25 lbs/ft of torque.
I thought the M3 (both standard and Comp Pack) were almost 200kg heavier than a Z4MC (i.e. about 1650kg vs 1450kg kerb weight)?

I know the CRT and GTS were lighter than their standard M3 counterparts (by 45kg and 135kg respectively).

BTW, the e92 M3 is almost the same weight as my old e34 3.6 M5 (only 315bhp though, although no traction/stability control).
Sorry yes got my numbers mixed up, that’s dyslexia for ya - I was reading GtS weight 😂 1410-1480 roadie depending on what you read, 1580 manual m3, is 1600 dct m3

Still relative I spose, an extra 120-190 kg but with added power, more refined suspension etc etc
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm Sorry yes got my numbers mixed up, that’s dyslexia for ya - I was reading GtS weight 😂 1410-1480 roadie depending on what you read, 1580 manual m3, is 1600 dct m3

Still relative I spose, an extra 120-190 kg but with added power, more refined suspension etc etc
No worries,

I only mentioned it because I commented at the time (about 8 years ago) how much the e92 M3 felt like my old 3.8 M5...with its 1700-1800kg weight, the EDC suspension, and the initial delay on turn in (compared to the Z4).

I said at the time, that if I’d wanted that feeling, I’d go back to the M5 instead, for a lot less money - although the aftermarket tuning options for the M3 are an order of magnitude greater.

Even back then, the stories of rod bearing failure and heavy appetite for super unleaded really put me off,
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

survivalist

Post by survivalist » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Would be interested what the OP decided to do. I see from other posted that your Z4M is sold (and being ‘re-sold’ by a scammer :-(

For anyone else interested I was having the same dilemma but have come to the conclusion that I’ll only work it out running them both. I’ve been fortunate enough that a family member has a garage that is surplus to requirements so the Z has had somewhere warm and dry to stay over winter and, barring any disasters, a E92 M3 will be joining the Z in a week or so.

I decided that I was never going to get the measure of an M3 on a test drive and so selling me Z4MC was too bigger risk as it could take a long time to get something similar (30k miles, I’m the second owner).

But the lack of seats is still a massive factor and I’m hoping that the M3’s practicality will mean I spend more time in a special car. Our family car is a E91 335i and while the N54 engine has real character, the auto box and chassis don’t so much. Did think about the Saloon M3, but the amount of short journeys and trips to supermarkets, station, school etc put me off. So (hopefully) the M3 will still be an occasional/weekend car but with the ability to transport all 4 of us.

Will report back once I’ve have some time in the M:.

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:34 pm

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it! :thumbsup:
Last edited by LeeZ4MR on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 pm

survivalist wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:15 pm Would be interested what the OP decided to do. I see from other posted that your Z4M is sold (and being ‘re-sold’ by a scammer :-(

For anyone else interested I was having the same dilemma but have come to the conclusion that I’ll only work it out running them both. I’ve been fortunate enough that a family member has a garage that is surplus to requirements so the Z has had somewhere warm and dry to stay over winter and, barring any disasters, a E92 M3 will be joining the Z in a week or so.

I decided that I was never going to get the measure of an M3 on a test drive and so selling me Z4MC was too bigger risk as it could take a long time to get something similar (30k miles, I’m the second owner).

But the lack of seats is still a massive factor and I’m hoping that the M3’s practicality will mean I spend more time in a special car. Our family car is a E91 335i and while the N54 engine has real character, the auto box and chassis don’t so much. Did think about the Saloon M3, but the amount of short journeys and trips to supermarkets, station, school etc put me off. So (hopefully) the M3 will still be an occasional/weekend car but with the ability to transport all 4 of us.

Will report back once I’ve have some time in the M:.
Will be watching for that one. :thumbsup:

survivalist

Post by survivalist » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Car arrived on Thursday evening. I've been annoyingly busy at work and with 2 young children weekend time is limited, so the dealer kindly agreed to have the car delivered at no cost to me. The main benefit of this was that the car was fully warmed up and I was able to go straight out for a drive. The time of day means that it wasn't ideal as the roads were pretty busy, but still managed a few decent runs over some of the more twisty local(ish) roads.

First impressions are that the engine is great, the way it spins from 4-8k rpm is epic. In the end I went for the DCT gearbox, which tends to be a controversial topic. I know there have been many threads about the Z4M box (both good and bad) but I've always found mine OK. The manual M3's I drove had a longer throw and were more 'notchy'. Read loads about how changing the shift knob to a F10 M5 one would help but in the end I found, as many others have, that the DCT gearbox was a really good match for the engine. The other thing that put me off the manual is the ratios - it seems that top speed in 3rd gear for the manual is roughly equivalent to 4th gear in the DCT, so much more useable.

Not had a chance to get to grips with much else yet. In terms of spec the car has heated seats, front parking sensors and an upgraded stereo - all things that I would have expected to be standard on a flagship model, but that's German car brands for you. It also have adaptive lights (think they move with steering wheel) but no adaptive suspension (the internet tells me that my car is worth £500 because of this, but I prefer a good setup over loads of button pushing ;-)

More importantly it's a one owner car, with full service history - bought and serviced at the same dealership for the past 9 years. Annoyingly the dealer can't/won't give me a print out of all the additional and warranty work carried out due to GDPR as it has the former keepers details on it, but they let me look at the system and it's been back for every recall and had some goodwill stuff done in terms of a frayed seat belt and discoloured interior trim. A bit mad when you consider the V5 will have said owners details on it. Anyway, all of this suggests to me that it's been well looked after. Also had paint protection film applied from new, so no stone chips on the bumper/bonnet.

Sadly it will probably be a while before I get the chance to drive the M3 and Z4M back to back. Every weekend between now and September seems to be accounted for. That said, we had a UK road trip/holiday planned for early August and the 4 seats in the M3 means it might be a realistic alternative to the family wagon. Just need to borrow/rent a roofbox

TL/DR - M3 has arrived and is awesome, but have too many commitments not enough car time.

Couple of pictures from Thursday:

And the big boots this car is trying to fill: