Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Considering going from Z4MR to R8. Thoughts? (UPDATE: Bought a V10 R8!)

"M" Specific discussion
Yorkie Z

Considering going from Z4MR to R8. Thoughts?

Post by Yorkie Z » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 pm

Come on JT, how was the test drive?
A Dirty M///

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm

To the op, I've just scanned this thread an didn't see it mentioned so here goes
There's a known issue around the front strut tops which will crack the main frame , you won't see this without taking the front trunk liner out , and on one side the wiper linkage is still in the way, according to the YouTube video I'll link to in the US the insurance companies will total loss on a car with this , even though to look you wouldn't see anything wrong, there is a strengthening kit available , I'm unsure if this only effects certain years
https://youtu.be/QOlvG1QbCDU
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

ChrisT70

Post by ChrisT70 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 pm

20170604_123728-2124x1195.jpg
20170604_123728-2124x1195.jpg (235.1 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
I just sold this earlier in the year for £46k.was very high spec, 18k miles, 2009, full carbon and extended leather, special order colour in 2009 for a v8 (sepang blue metallic with titanium finish rims), 3k stereo upgrade (1200w) and a switchable eisenmann exhaust which was absolutely stunning.
It was a £94k car back in the day when specd up apparently.
All I can say is it got more positive attention than any other car I've had including a 993 S. It went well, gripped well, fab sounds and just had presence.
2 yr service at Audi was £768 and lasted 2 days. Mag ride shocks can be sorted for under 2k. Frame cracks are rare and not after 2009 apparently.
V10 if you can stretch is even better.
R8 clutch is £4k or so fitted with engine out on a v8. A.c. pump fail is engine out. Rare fail tho.

Spec and condition are everything, there are dogs out there in the low 30's now and run by people who can't afford to run them properly.
I'd have another tomorrow and I might yet go v10.

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:51 am

Yorkie Z wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 pm Come on JT, how was the test drive?
Sorry for the silence. Mental week or so since I saw the R8 :headbang:

Thanks everyone for the various posts. Some really great write ups, helpful hints and interesting points on the R8. This forum is a great community :thumbsup:

Yorkie – how have you been enjoying the MR? I hope it has lived up to expectations and not given you too many headaches?

SEEING THE R8, IN SUMMARY: I wasn't blown away, which I think I need to be given the price tag. However, the context is important (more below - blast in the sun in the MR on the way there, then a quick look at the R8 Couple in the wet). I think I need to give it another go.

More details below for those who want them.

A BLAST IN THE MR ON THE WAY THERE ANCHORED MY EXPECTATIONS. I LOVE THAT CAR:
I started the day leaving London in the sunshine with the roof down in the MR. Although I was mainly on motorways most of the way to the R8, it was a glorious day and there were a few opportunities to give it a blast – including some tunnels. It was a great reminder of how much I love having the roof down, how special the engine is and how awesome the sound is (I’ve got an Eventuri Intake and H&S exhaust – which I love). The Z4M is special :D

I APPRECIATED BUT DIDN’T LOVE THE R8:
By the time I reached it the weather was grey and raining. I had limited time, as did the dealer. It looked great and it certainly has something special/supercar-esk about it. Can’t deny loving a V8. However, it didn’t appeal to me more than the MR. If anything, I didn’t feel as strongly about it. I think there are two main reasons:
1 / Size and comfort. It felt more spacious inside than the MR. I felt further away from the far door of the car, further back from the windscreen and further away from the corners of the car. There are benefits to this for those who appreciate them. But to me, I just felt a bit less connected to the car / it felt less intimate then the M. It was also a bit more comfortable. In particular, the seats felt a bit more ‘loungy’. Again, there are benefits to this but, for me, it added to the sense of feeling a bit less raw.
2 / Coupe and sound isolation. Hard to know to what degree to difference in sound is due to being in a coupe vs. the setup of the R8 specifically. Regardless, after the blast in the MR on the way, this felt a bit more muted and less ‘sharp’ which again removed some of the raw exhilaration for me.
Some smaller points: I found the slim steering wheel a bit lacking after the chunky M wheel, which I have always loved. The gated shifter is cool, but I didn’t think “I have to have this!”. The rear of the car seemed a little ‘bulbous’ after the MR (I have a thing about the curve of the MR boot lid, the lights and the MR rear generally – I just love them).

VARIOUS OPTIONS FROM HERE:
I left a bit deflated, but recognised it wasn’t the ideal opportunity for the R8. I loved getting back in the MR. I felt like I did the first time I got in one. And started thinking about how the money saved could go towards many other exciting things (cameras, drones and other toys).
As I have reflected on it more, I have four main thoughts:
1 / I should try an R8 V8 again, when my enthusiasm comes back.
2 / I can’t get the idea of a convertible V10 manual R8 out of my head. Most of the time I think that is just a step too far financially (it would start to eat into house money). But sometimes I think you only live once, it is possible at the moment, and I have a window of 1-2 years before I expect to have kids and this all goes out the window. I would say there is a 5-10% chance of me going crazy and doing it.
3 / There are other cars that may better meet my needs. I would love to try an Evora. But I would want to get into an S or ideally 400, which is getting into R8 V10 money so faces the same issue mentioned above. And it is not convertible – which I am increasingly convinced is something critical to me. Another potential is a V8 Vantage, but I suspect that won’t be raw enough for me. Or going in the other direction away from the M. I am finding myself watching Exiges and Caterhams more on YouTube now.
4 / Continue enoying loving the M and save the money for a great ‘dad-mobile’ when the time comes. Perhaps I could find a 10-year-old E9X, or an AMG estate rather than a Mondeo/A4/equivalent :evil:

Thanks for reading.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
'10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:17 am

Great write-up. :)

5 / Suspension, brakes, lightweight seats, lightweight alloys. Lots more stuff you can do the Z4MR which will make it even better.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 am

I think you should definitely try a 4.7 Vantage with the Sports Pack.

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:15 am

MrPT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:17 am Great write-up. :)

5 / Suspension, brakes, lightweight seats, lightweight alloys. Lots more stuff you can do the Z4MR which will make it even better.
Thanks! And indeed. Some of that is on my to-do list :D
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
'10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 am

Mister T wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 am I think you should definitely try a 4.7 Vantage with the Sports Pack.
Thanks. I'll have a look around!

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:17 am

JT_0306 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 am
Mister T wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 am I think you should definitely try a 4.7 Vantage with the Sports Pack.
Thanks. I'll have a look around!
If you're anywhere near Oxford I can take you out in mine

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:45 am

ChrisT70 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 pm 20170604_123728-2124x1195.jpg

I just sold this earlier in the year for £46k.was very high spec, 18k miles, 2009, full carbon and extended leather, special order colour in 2009 for a v8 (sepang blue metallic with titanium finish rims), 3k stereo upgrade (1200w) and a switchable eisenmann exhaust which was absolutely stunning.
It was a £94k car back in the day when specd up apparently.
All I can say is it got more positive attention than any other car I've had including a 993 S. It went well, gripped well, fab sounds and just had presence.
2 yr service at Audi was £768 and lasted 2 days. Mag ride shocks can be sorted for under 2k. Frame cracks are rare and not after 2009 apparently.
V10 if you can stretch is even better.
R8 clutch is £4k or so fitted with engine out on a v8. A.c. pump fail is engine out. Rare fail tho.

Spec and condition are everything, there are dogs out there in the low 30's now and run by people who can't afford to run them properly.
I'd have another tomorrow and I might yet go v10.
I don't get this, you get a thorough bred of an engine frame combination, and then Chuck in a 3k radio...

Complete waste of money. Only one song should be playing on that radio, and that's the note of that glorious power house.

I guess people use these things for other things than what they are made for, which is spirited driving. :thumbsdown:

4k clutch in comparison to our cars is crazy. Parts are the lower part of 1k us and then you can pretty easily drop and replace it yourself.

Thinking of pulling my aircon out ATM. Weighs a lot that stuff..

Beautiful cars :thumbsup: , shity interiors and even worse dash and controls. :headbang: Awesome engines though and sorted frames. But yeah sounds like maintenance is even a worse nightmare that the special m tax our cars attract if you can't swing your own spanners a bit.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3