Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

10mm spacers rubbing on CSL's with stock suspension

"M" Specific discussion
DanCurry

Post by DanCurry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Been lurking for a bit, absorbing as much info as I can from the vast pool.

I've come up against a slight problem, as I've recently fitted a set of H&R 10mm spacers to the front of my Zed due to the imminent arrival of some KW V3's.

What's concerning is that they're rubbing on full lock and on reasonable compressions as well.

I can see that the wheel is rubbing the front of the fender liner, around the brake cooling intake.

I am running CSL reps, but I haven't really come across anyone with this problem unless they're running pretty low with coilovers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Z4MC Carbon Schwarz with Merino/Charcoal two-tone and CSL Reps :driving:

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:08 pm

What et and width are the csl reps? Also what Tyres sizes are you running ?

DanCurry

Post by DanCurry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 pm

They're CM reps with 8.5j et40 at the front with a 235/35 and 9.5j et27 265/30's at the rear running on PS4S's.

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Seems odd that they are rubbing then .... as I have the same et front and back with 245 /35 front Tyres and run a 5mm spacer . I guess that extra 5mm makes all the difference.

There are a few on here that run the kw’s and run 10mm spacers ... the ones I know of have also front arch rubbing and have modded the plastics to try and over come this .

The kw’s are a lovely bit of kit but in my eyes they have a massive design fault if you have to run 10mm spacers to clear the springs :thumbsdown:

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Possible removing the camber pins and getting some extra camber dialled in May help once the kw’s are on

Edit .... thinking about it aren’t most csl reps et44 ? Maybe you’ll be able to get away with a 5mm spacer instead

DanCurry

Post by DanCurry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks for the advice Bodyboarder. Thats what I'm hoping for once the KW's are on, I'll get the geo done and hopefully it'll be sorted. Just scared me intially!

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:43 pm

I’m sure MrPt will be along shortly.... he runs the same set up as you are intending and will have the correct info needed with regards the mods to the front arch :thumbsup:

DanCurry

Post by DanCurry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Fingers crossed, thanks again :)

markos

Post by markos » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm sure my fronts very occasionally rubbed the front wheel arch liners – but I can't remember if that was with 19" CSL reps or the 19" M3 wheels I had on before, and that was with standard suspension. The M3 wheels did have spacers on the front but only to get them out to where standard wheels would be as their offset wasn't the right spec. I just put it down to running 19s.
R8 4.2 V8... Previous: Sapphire Black MC | red/black bi-colour heated seats | nav with camera alerts | BT | extended storage | elec folding mirrors | PDC | loudspeaker upgrade | Intravee | CSL reps | Remus backboxes

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Bodyboarder wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:43 pm I’m sure MrPt will be along shortly.... he runs the same set up as you are intending and will have the correct info needed with regards the mods to the front arch :thumbsup:
Similar. As you say, a lot of reps are ET44 (same as OEM CSL) - an ET40 with a 10mm spacer is effectively ET30, which with an 8.5” rim I would have thought would rub on the outer arch liner above the tyre. I guess it’s possible that it could rub the brake duct on full lock too. I have this issue, but I’m running 235/40 fronts.

So a 5mm spacer might be absolutely fine, yep.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

DanCurry

Post by DanCurry » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks for the info guys, a 5mm spacer sounds like a plan. Just one thing is, I remember hearing that you can't really fit anything less than a 10mm spacer to BMW's due to the nature of the hub. Not sure if this is actually true or not?

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 am

This has been discussed on here and basically the hub Center is really just to center the wheel on and as long as there is some contact ( 4-5mm ) you will be fine . I’m running 5mm spacers with 5mm longed bolts and have no issues at all :thumbsup:

DanCurry

Post by DanCurry » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 am

Good stuff, I'll get some ordered. Cheers for the help guys. :)

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:40 am

normal to rub the wheel liner running 245/35, I haven't heard of anyone rubbing before running 235???? how are your lollipops/control arms?
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3