Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Replacement Advice

"M" Specific discussion
zomby

Post by zomby » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:09 pm

MY CTEK charger sometimes throws up a red error light when it's charging my Z4M Coupe so I can only assume that the battery's on its way out. To be fair I kinda knew this was the case as it was a bit sluggish to start after 1-2 weeks of not being put on trickle charge.

Replacing the battery is an easy enough job, however I noticed that the current battery is a wet Bosch S5 027 63AH 610A battery: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5005/

Obviously I'd like to replace it with the recommended 096 AGM battery, i.e: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/b ... moQAvD_BwE

However I've read that there may be some coding involved when going from one battery type to another, but according some it's fine. Would anyone be able to verify whether the new battery would be plug and play?

I think if it isn't, I may just replace the current battery like for like, as at least then I know it's bound to work. Plus as I keep the car in the garage on charge, I wouldn't be seeing the full benefits of an AGM battery.
Z4M Coupé - Sapphire Black/Imola Leather/Eventuri/BCS Powervalve Exhaust/Eibach Springs/Spacers/CSLs/Illuminated ZHP/Stubby

FN2 CTR - Daily

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Cant see the point of AGM on these cars. There is no stop start, no energy regeneration etc. I have a wet Bosch on mine.

Not aware of any coding (resetting) required on E85/6 either.

zomby

Post by zomby » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for you help, my thoughts exactly. I think I'll just replace it with the standard Bosch 096 battery then.
Z4M Coupé - Sapphire Black/Imola Leather/Eventuri/BCS Powervalve Exhaust/Eibach Springs/Spacers/CSLs/Illuminated ZHP/Stubby

FN2 CTR - Daily