Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would like some advice on my clutch

"M" Specific discussion
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:53 am

I'd agree with all the above (and yes i've driven a zed without CDV) but the op isn't describing the common mistiming issue caused by CDV, but "no bite, either on or off" which in fairness sounds like a thin clutch / weak spring nearing the end. But yes try cdv 8)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Mangozac wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 am
Vanne wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:07 am :!: wait, you bought the car without a test drive?? WTH?? seller didn't want a potential buyer to drive the car? how on earth would you sell a car then?? :!:
I missed that bit! Crazy indeed!
I bought mine untested, i drove three others but wrong spec and i had talked myself out of other cars in the past. When i saw this one I just knew that I felt happy with the car and the vendor, gut feeling or a bit of a gamble ? Who knows but turned out to be a beaut and have loved it for six years,I use it sparingly now but when I do , what a thrill, plus it is holding its own or even rising slowly so imo a good buy. :thumbsup:

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:32 am

mad4slalom wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 pm
Vanne wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:07 am :!: wait, you bought the car without a test drive?? WTH?? seller didn't want a potential buyer to drive the car? how on earth would you sell a car then?? :!:
I bought mine untested, i drove three others but wrong spec and i had talked myself out of other cars in the past. When i saw this one I just knew that I felt happy with the car and the vendor, gut feeling or a bit of a gamble ? Who knows but turned out to be a beaut and have loved it for six years,I use it sparingly now but when I do , what a thrill, plus it is holding its own or even rising slowly so imo a good buy. :thumbsup:
I'm really surprised by the number of people saying this! Sure, I can see some circumstances where a test drive might not be necessary, but not just a seller being precious. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Z4M fanatic but it's a 12 year old BMW, not a collectible supercar!
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:07 am

Ewazix wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:53 am I'd agree with all the above (and yes i've driven a zed without CDV) but the op isn't describing the common mistiming issue caused by CDV, but "no bite, either on or off" which in fairness sounds like a thin clutch / weak spring nearing the end. But yes try cdv 8)
This is a possibility, especially if it’s been driven hard in its life. But I’d be interested in what other cars the OP has driven. I do find everything more immediate than any other manual car I’ve driven, but then it’s a sports car, and there’s a lot of power sitting right behind that clutch engagement. The CDV removal transformed my car at low speed / launch between 1st and 2nd, and I remember the kangarooing feeling sudden and surprising when it happened. As ever, try an easy - costless- fix that is a proven benefit first before starting expensive work like taking the clutch apart :thumbsup:

Even I managed to do it myself and I am s**t with spanners :lol:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:04 am

Mangozac wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:32 am
mad4slalom wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 pm
I'm really surprised by the number of people saying this! Sure, I can see some circumstances where a test drive might not be necessary, but not just a seller being precious. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Z4M fanatic but it's a 12 year old BMW, not a collectible supercar!
I imagine the issue is less about being precious but insurance. It's highly unlikely that many (if any) private buyers will have insurance to drive your car fully comp which, goes without saying really, brings a whole world of hurt should the worse happen on said test drive. Let alone if you're unlucky enough to get pulled over... :|
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 am

mmmm -five gives us the technical reason, but i prefer Mikes more pragmatic definition, he told me it was put on for the yanks who cant drive cars with manual gearbox's :lol:

and i agree andy, i dont let folk drive mine for insurance reasons, any problems, and while the other cars may be covered, your pride and joy could be left up a tree, literally. with no recourse. so i take a potential buyer out in the passenger seat only.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:04 am
I imagine the issue is less about being precious but insurance. It's highly unlikely that many (if any) private buyers will have insurance to drive your car fully comp which, goes without saying really, brings a whole world of hurt should the worse happen on said test drive. Let alone if you're unlucky enough to get pulled over... :|
road warrior wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 am and i agree andy, i dont let folk drive mine for insurance reasons, any problems, and while the other cars may be covered, your pride and joy could be left up a tree, literally. with no recourse. so i take a potential buyer out in the passenger seat only.
Ahh I see we are to the root of the issue now - I'd forgotten that car insurance in the UK is so different! Here in Australia, so long as they meet some insurer stipulated requirements (generally above a minimum age like 25) anybody driving your car will be covered. Hence why the two people posting in this thread with the most incredulity are Aussies :lol:
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 am

Lol yeah I guess that's the diff..
Still would freak me out buying without test driving.. here too, no cars are sold without a test drive. Now it becomes a little clearer, that's WHY maintenance paperwork for you guys is so important.. for me I couldent give a rats about the paperwork as I know id be giving it a proper test drive before parting with my hard earned cash.

You guys there in Pommy land have nothing else to go on... wow, clears things up a lot... :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3