Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would like some advice on my clutch

"M" Specific discussion
Ross Miller

Post by Ross Miller » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi everyone, last week I bought my dream car and as much as I am in love, I'd like to know if the clutch is like this in all ///M's.
I viewed a few Z4M's before purchasing mine but they were all private sellers and understandably preferred not to let a complete stranger test drive their car (i wouldnt either). My question is, is the clutch this sharp in all ///M's? it seems like theres barely a bite to it, like its either engaged or not, on or off.....no in-between. Im getting used to it but the 1st into 2nd change is still a little jolting if its anything but prefect.

Hope I'm describing this well enough.
Z4M.jpeg
Z4M.jpeg (291.4 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Z4M 3.jpeg
Z4M 3.jpeg (297.29 KiB) Viewed 1207 times

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:12 pm

First step would be removal of cdv , welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

M M M

Post by M M M » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Yep, remove the CDV. Transforms the drive and I'm surprised they haven't all been done by now!

Ross Miller

Post by Ross Miller » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:33 pm

M M M wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 pm Yep, remove the CDV. Transforms the drive and I'm surprised they haven't all been done by now!
mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:12 pm First step would be removal of cdv , welcome to the forum
just did a little research on what a CDV is and I'm so happy, I thought it was me being a terrible driver but this thing seems so stupid. thanks guys :D :D :D

Gazza51

Post by Gazza51 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Your description would not be caused by a CDV.
Current - Z4 MC, M3 CSL, S54 Z3MR, Z1.

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 pm

Sounds normal mate , just need to get used to it. My clutch seems binary almost as thought I'm on the throttle before it's engage which causes a jolt. Simple solution - go onto the throttle a split second later 😊 BTW, I've removed my CDV which made a big difference.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:26 am

Sounds normal. Removal of the CDV helps a little but it will still have that "on/off" characteristic...
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:07 am

:!: wait, you bought the car without a test drive?? WTH?? seller didn't want a potential buyer to drive the car? how on earth would you sell a car then?? :!:

clutch varies from car to car. my current one has about 1cm from on to off, previously about 2 inches. my mates also has 2 inches of engagement.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 am

Vanne wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:07 am :!: wait, you bought the car without a test drive?? WTH?? seller didn't want a potential buyer to drive the car? how on earth would you sell a car then?? :!:
I missed that bit! Crazy indeed!
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:07 am

Ive never let a perspective buyer drive my car .... if it’s a good car you can tell and every car I’ve sold has gone to the first person who’s looked at it . It’s just not worth the risk / hassle if anything were to happen

Oh and get that cdv removed ... it made a world of difference to my car !

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Mangozac wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 am
Vanne wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:07 am :!: wait, you bought the car without a test drive?? WTH?? seller didn't want a potential buyer to drive the car? how on earth would you sell a car then?? :!:
I missed that bit! Crazy indeed!
I didn’t drive mine before I bought it... but I had no reason to question the history because I bought it from a friend who was the first owner.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 pm

So the CDV makes clutch engagement HARSHER and removing it will smooth progress? Thats not quite how a hydraulic clutch DELAY valve works :wink: its literally a slow release valve,
A worm clutch with limited travel is just that.
I'd suggest bleeding the clutch hydraulics then if its no better getting a quote for a clutch or you are not going to get the best from your car.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:25 pm

I didn’t test drive my M, nor my previous si :fuelfire:

I’ll add to the above in agreement. It sounds normal. It can be a bit of a pig around town and in traffic to be honest, but when you get used to it; and especially when you hook it up properly with your foot down, it will all make sense. Enjoy!
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Maybe ‘smoothing’ is the wrong word, but all it does is delay the clutch’s full disengagement so that you lift off the clutch pedal, floor the throttle and then kangaroo (from a standstill) or hear/feel the clutch slip a little (on full bore, light lift gear changes) as you realise that the CDV hasn’t quite fully released its hold yet.

The removal means the driver is fully in control of both pedals and can judge for themselves when there’s enough bite to launch it without slipping/burning the clutch - which enables a ‘smoother’ launch.

But that’s the way BMW designed it so that the clutch/flywheel takes the damage from ‘energetic’ launches rather the the rest of the drive train.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:34 pm Maybe ‘smoothing’ is the wrong word, but all it does is delay the clutch’s full disengagement so that you lift off the clutch pedal, floor the throttle and then kangaroo (from a standstill) or hear/feel the clutch slip a little (on full bore, light lift gear changes) as you realise that the CDV hasn’t quite fully released its hold yet.

The removal means the driver is fully in control of both pedals and can judge for themselves when there’s enough bite to launch it without slipping/burning the clutch - which enables a ‘smoother’ launch.

But that’s the way BMW designed it so that the clutch/flywheel takes the damage from ‘energetic’ launches rather the the rest of the drive train.
That must be the best explanation yet :thumbsup: its definitely not imagination that removal improves engagement & those who think it is should maybe try one directly before & after before they make comment .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo