Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TC and sport button.

"M" Specific discussion
dannytheduck1985

TC and sport button.

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:26 am

Simon 3.2M wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:17 pm TC off, sport button on, this thing is a monster!!

IMG_2051.JPG
YES SI!!! Perfect weather to gradually learn the car properly.
With the TC off, the Z4M is a daft little car :rofl:
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24
90’ Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000 24V manual
85’ Opel Ascona Cabriolet

dannytheduck1985

TC and sport button.

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 am

mr wilks wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:25 pm TC off :cry: you must be one gifted driver :wink: at no point i ever driven any of my Zs & felt the need to turn that off :?
Sport button most definitely always on :evil: as well as countless spirited UK miles Ive covered hundreds of Z///Miles at full chatt through the Normandy countryside with 6-7 other M cars often pushing to the edge of safe speed for car & driver so i know what the car is capable of & pretty sure none of the others drive with it off .
How does it enhance the drive for you ?
Serious question now.
You have never drove your Z4M with TC off :o ?

Not being a cock but you haven’t really got to know the Z4M........ at all. Now is the Perfect weather to find the minerals to switch it off. Then drive the routes you have previously drove......... with caution.

Leave enough space to let the back slide and keep the power on, don’t panic
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24
90’ Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000 24V manual
85’ Opel Ascona Cabriolet

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

TC and sport button.

Post by mr wilks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:40 am

dannytheduck1985 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 am
mr wilks wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:25 pm TC off :cry: you must be one gifted driver :wink: at no point i ever driven any of my Zs & felt the need to turn that off :?
Sport button most definitely always on :evil: as well as countless spirited UK miles Ive covered hundreds of Z///Miles at full chatt through the Normandy countryside with 6-7 other M cars often pushing to the edge of safe speed for car & driver so i know what the car is capable of & pretty sure none of the others drive with it off .
Serious question now.

Not being a cock but you haven’t really got to know the Z4M........ at all. Now is the Perfect weather to find the minerals to switch it off. Then drive the routes you have previously drove......... with caution.

No ive honestly never felt any interference from any driver aids whether that be setting off fast or thrashing it through the country lanes which is where i would cover the majority of my miles . I can't comment whether on a track it needs to be off cause ive never driven on one nor have any desire to do so
i'm not being a cock here either but honestly , i'm really not getting this tc off caper at all .
Why would travelling my normal routes & letting the back slide out with power still on make it somehow better ?
I'm not a fanny , i love to crack on when i'm out but on uk roads especially i can't imagine the point or speed where i would think to myself " hahmmm , not really doing it for me anymore :D , lacking that certain something , lets try it with tc off & see if that improves my connection with the car "
& when guys post " yea tc off in the rain = funtimes" with a 177bhp 2.5 auto that makes me pi55 :rofl:
Each to their own , if it makes you feel like youve got to know a car better with it off fair dos , i think after 13k-14k miles in 3 different ZMs i know them well enough to know that they can flatter & entertain me without turning the tc off :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

TC and sport button.

Post by Darren Slone » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:05 am

I’ve never had my tc off either or personally never felt any intrusion on public roads, even with the Normandy Guys where we were very spirited :driving: I’ve never tracked mine so that’s where you’d get the benefit ?

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

TC and sport button.

Post by Smartbear » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:07 am

Some years ago i tried having some “extra fun” by turning off the traction control on a previous car, after some spectacularly exciting moments I drove into a tree head on :o
It saves us from ourselves & mine stays on these days :thumbsup:
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

TC and sport button.

Post by buzyg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:27 am

I never turn the sport button on. The throttle response is plenty sharp enough for my size 13's. These days, I only switch the TC off for short periods, when I want to go side ways. Otherwise the tyres don't last very long at all. Though I concure, the car is great to drive with it off:wink: :driving:

R60BBA

TC and sport button.

Post by R60BBA » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 am

Tbh, when I first got into BMWs, I bought one brand new from the dealership and the day I went to collect my car the sales person explained to me the different modes and that he never turned TC off nor recommended me to do so.

For a year or so of driving, I had this ‘mental block’ / fear that turning it off would mean the car would become uncontrollable, and I would be ending up in a ditch on every turn.

However after about a year or so a mate of mine explained to me how it worked and so I began to experiment. (Not saying you guys had the same fear as mine but the car can still be perfectly safe without traction control, and also more fun).

You’re right in that you don’t really need it off on public roads, you can still have fun with it on, but having it off means pure driver control (which imho = more fun).

Some of the fellas on here are around twice my age and so I’m sure you guys drove performance cars back in the 80s and 90s which didn’t even know what TC was? I guess having it off for me is the closest I’ll get to driving a 911 SC.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Truth

TC and sport button.

Post by Truth » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 am

mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:40 am
dannytheduck1985 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 am
Serious question now.

No ive honestly never felt any interference from any driver aids whether that be setting off fast or thrashing it through the country lanes which is where i would cover the majority of my miles . I can't comment whether on a track it needs to be off cause ive never driven on one nor have any desire to do so
i'm not being a cock here either but honestly , i'm really not getting this tc off caper at all .
Why would travelling my normal routes & letting the back slide out with power still on make it somehow better ?
I'm not a fanny , i love to crack on when i'm out but on uk roads especially i can't imagine the point or speed where i would think to myself " hahmmm , not really doing it for me anymore :D , lacking that certain something , lets try it with tc off & see if that improves my connection with the car "
& when guys post " yea tc off in the rain = funtimes" with a 177bhp 2.5 auto that makes me pi55 :rofl:
Each to their own , if it makes you feel like youve got to know a car better with it off fair dos , i think after 13k-14k miles in 3 different ZMs i know them well enough to know that they can flatter & entertain me without turning the tc off :wink:
Mr w knows his m’s Well enough. Followed him down some lovely roads in the past and never felt like he was holding me up in anyway. In fact sometimes didn’t have the skill to follow at the same speed.
Funny comment from Danny to say that mr w wouldn’t know his zeds. :rofl: you not seen his signature list?? Also don’t think he has blown any up either....
Z4MC

dgm

TC and sport button.

Post by dgm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 am

The TC on the Z4M can be overly intrusive at times I feel but it’s very good at sorting out these moments when you’ve miscalculated the amount of traction available on difficult road surfaces. I’ve driven the car with TC off but just to experiment and wouldn’t do it on other than dry roads. I had the M track mode coded and that’s a really good half way house, the intrusion from it comes later than the normal mode and for my driving skills, or lack of them, that’s perfect for me. Most of the time I don’t have it on but when I feel like a proper blast that’s when I engage it. My car will never see a track either and I can appreciate it’s entirely different in that scenario when you would like to imagine that the driving abilities on display will be more than simply proficient.

Regarding the sport button, I think it’s a waste of time on the Z4M. The throttle response is nice and sharp on these cars unlike the E46 M3 which felt unresponsive without the sport button on.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

TC and sport button.

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:30 am

R60BBA wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 pm Yeah man, my M3 is proper jerky under full throttle if the car breaks traction.
..weird. Mine is really smooth like it just cuts ignition timing slightly, then it comes back in progressively. Must be tyre related. I'm running Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta.

I'm not keen on sport mode for road driving though. Much better on track (where you definitely do need DSC off).
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

TC and sport button.

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am

dgm wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 am The throttle response is nice and sharp on these cars unlike the E46 M3 which felt unresponsive without the sport button on.
..don't get this at all, it's the same S54 engine but the exhaust is slightly more optimised on the E46. It's darn near instant, not sure how you could ever get much better without a much lightened flywheel (and the associated stalling when setting off issues).
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

dgm

TC and sport button.

Post by dgm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 am

ph001 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am
dgm wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 am The throttle response is nice and sharp on these cars unlike the E46 M3 which felt unresponsive without the sport button on.
..don't get this at all, it's the same S54 engine but the exhaust is slightly more optimised on the E46. It's darn near instant, not sure how you could ever get much better without a much lightened flywheel (and the associated stalling when setting off issues).
All the sport button is doing is adjusting the throttle map as I’m sure you’re aware. What I mean is that on the M3 the default setting means there is a lot of travel on the pedal before the power kicks in. With the sport button on it brought about an instantaneous response. I don’t find that the case with the Z4M at all where the default setting feels just right to me. With the sport button pressed its almost like an on/off switch which gets wearing quickly.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

TC and sport button.

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am

Yep, and agree about it being too sensitive with the sport button pressed making it like an on/off switch. But in terms of revving in neutral for example, the throttle response is darn near as instantaneous as you could ever hope for in a 'modernish' road car. There is no way in the world you would ever describe it as 'unresponsive'. I can only assume there was an issue with your car if you found it that way.

dgm

TC and sport button.

Post by dgm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:00 am

Well I changed the car in 2007 for the Z4M and it was very noticeable back to back. I had a facelift manual just like yourself, just my thoughts on it, I reached for the sport button every time I started it.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

TC and sport button.

Post by mr wilks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 am

dgm wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 am

All the sport button is doing is adjusting the throttle map as I’m sure you’re aware. I don’t find that the case with the Z4M at all where the default setting feels just right to me. With the sport button pressed its almost like an on/off switch which gets wearing quickly.
Just shows each of us have different views & preferences & possibly each of our cars functions slightly differently ?
In the MR I find the throttle response with sport button on sharper which for me makes for smoother & easier to pull away , i don't ever feel its tiresome unless ive just got used to it , its on before ive left the driveway , it was similar in last Si E86 ( manual ) but with current Si E86 auto i find no need to have sport button on ( unless you want to rip away from the lights :wink: ) 0-30 town driving it completely ruins the drive :( once out travelling the lanes at speed however it transforms the 262bhp auto into a sharp performer :driving:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo