Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TC and sport button.

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

TC and sport button.

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am
dgm wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 am The throttle response is nice and sharp on these cars unlike the E46 M3 which felt unresponsive without the sport button on.
..don't get this at all, it's the same S54 engine but the exhaust is slightly more optimised on the E46. It's darn near instant, not sure how you could ever get much better without a much lightened flywheel (and the associated stalling when setting off issues).
The engine may well be the same but the dme and traction control systems are quite different. The TC in the m3 is significantly cruder than the z4m.
Similarly the throttle maps in both cars as standard are very different, the m3 having a far more pronounced dead spot at the beginning of the throttle travel as dgm points out.
Many m3s by now will have been modded by a dme tune such as ecuworx to get rid of this which might explain why some don't feel this, though it's not clear to me whether these people have actually driven a z4m to compare it to.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Striven

TC and sport button.

Post by Striven » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Seems to be a lot of chat about TC and switching it off being some kinda crazy , unnecessary step.
I am new to the Z4M R but previously went from Audi S4 Avant with is huge reserves of grip, to a TVR Tuscan with the Red Rose upgrade giving it “ allegedly” 390bhp. This had no TC, no ABS, and was lighter than the Z.

It all comes down to respect , learning your limits and car feel. I always enjoy the purity of everything switched off ( neither Lotus had TC ) but on lazy days it is great to have the safety net.

Please enjoy responsibly !!!!!
Previous
Volvo 360 GLS
BMW 318iS
Mercedes 230C
BMW 328 Cabrio
Audi S4 Avant
TVR Tuscan Red Rose
Lotus Elise 111S
Lotus Exige Cup 240
Porsche Boxster Spyder
Audi A3 eTron