Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension upgrade

"M" Specific discussion
Bodyboarder

Suspension upgrade

Post by Bodyboarder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 am

Hi all ....

Loving my M and would like to make it handle a bit better but my heart is saying some tasty coilovers but my head is saying eibach/Bilstein combo !

A little info on my car and intended use . The car has eibach springs on already and the ride height is spot on for me ( so this negates the need of height adjustment coilovers really )

This car is for road use ... I may don 1 track day a year in it .

Already bought new RTAB bushings and the tuner limiter kit to go on .

Are the likes of the kw v3’s in my situation going to over kill ? Or even for road use will I see big benifits over the eibach / Bilstein set up ?

Muckinonthesofa

Suspension upgrade

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I'm pleased with my Bilstein b12 set up but I have read some negative reports from others about it. Kw's pretty much universally raved about but I couldn't justify the price. May upgrade to it one day depending on circumstances.
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Bodyboarder

Suspension upgrade

Post by Bodyboarder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 pm

I haven’t had a set of kw’s on any car I’ve owned but had the Bilstein b12 kit on 3 cars ... on 2 of the cars I went to ohlins coilovers and although they were better , it did highlight how very good the b12 kits are for the money !

RedUn

Suspension upgrade

Post by RedUn » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Ignoring the money, V3s are perfect for what your after, you just need to double check the clearance to the front spring perch, spacers potentially needed (not a bad thing!) 8)
IMOLA Z4///MR

Bodyboarder

Suspension upgrade

Post by Bodyboarder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Yes heard someone else say about spacers being needed to clear the springs .... any more info on this?

RedUn

Suspension upgrade

Post by RedUn » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Probably worth a search on here, there's lots info posted over the years :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Bodyboarder

Suspension upgrade

Post by Bodyboarder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:02 pm

I’ll have a good dig around ...but from the reading and experience with the b12 kits , I’m swaying towards this again due to ease of setting up / cost verses performance ect

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Suspension upgrade

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Bodyboarder wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:44 pm Yes heard someone else say about spacers being needed to clear the springs .... any more info on this?
10mm spacer needed if you put KWV3 ‘s on with standard 224’s, I don’t know about other wheels though. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pures3

Suspension upgrade

Post by Pures3 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Had b12’s plus RTAB limiting kit from turners and a few other bits done at the same time, transformed the Car, no longer feels completely dangerous to drive and does what you expect it to do :-)

InterlagosZ4MR

Suspension upgrade

Post by InterlagosZ4MR » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:33 pm

The worst thing I ever did was the B12 kit. Put it on and the car was ruined as a drivers car in that it crashed dangerously through the bumps and lost all compliance. Spoke to Kevin Bird who confirmed B12 kit is terrible and Z4Ms shouldn’t be lowered. Ended up with New OEM springs, near CSL geo and the Bilsteins, which is OK. Sold the Eibachs to some poor unsuspecting fool.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Suspension upgrade

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 pm

InterlagosZ4MR wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:33 pm The worst thing I ever did was the B12 kit. Put it on and the car was ruined as a drivers car in that it crashed dangerously through the bumps and lost all compliance. Spoke to Kevin Bird who confirmed B12 kit is terrible and Z4Ms shouldn’t be lowered. Ended up with New OEM springs, near CSL geo and the Bilsteins, which is OK. Sold the Eibachs to some poor unsuspecting fool.
Have to concur with that, I tried Booners old car on Eibachs and it was horrendous, hateful. This isn’t how a car should feel, it crashed, banged and skipped its way over matchsticks with heavy steering, truly awful. Strange as I had Eibachs on an MR2 and they were fantastic, transformed the car.... :idunno:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Muckinonthesofa

Suspension upgrade

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:21 am

InterlagosZ4MR wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:33 pm The worst thing I ever did was the B12 kit. Put it on and the car was ruined as a drivers car in that it crashed dangerously through the bumps and lost all compliance. Spoke to Kevin Bird who confirmed B12 kit is terrible and Z4Ms shouldn’t be lowered. Ended up with New OEM springs, near CSL geo and the Bilsteins, which is OK. Sold the Eibachs to some poor unsuspecting fool.
This is the member I was referring to earlier, not everyone has had a positive experience of the set up. Just fools like me I suppose........
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Bodyboarder

Suspension upgrade

Post by Bodyboarder » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 am

Very odd ! My brother in law on his coupe had standard suspension and it was very crashy , changed just the springs to Eibach’s and the transformation was very surprising. Smoother ride , better pitch/dive control, less body roll . So much better !

My MC has just the Eibach’s on and I find it very comfortable, not crashy at all . I’m running slightly larger side walls ( 245/35 and 275/30) so this helps a bit with road compliance I guess ...... decisions decisions!

I think I really need to get a ride in a car fitted with the kw v3’s to make a informed decision..... anyone local to me ? ( Southampton)

Muckinonthesofa

Suspension upgrade

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:07 am

Bodyboarder wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 am Very odd ! My brother in law on his coupe had standard suspension and it was very crashy , changed just the springs to Eibach’s and the transformation was very surprising. Smoother ride , better pitch/dive control, less body roll . So much better !

My MC has just the Eibach’s on and I find it very comfortable, not crashy at all . I’m running slightly larger side walls ( 245/35 and 275/30) so this helps a bit with road compliance I guess ...... decisions decisions!

I think I really need to get a ride in a car fitted with the kw v3’s to make a informed decision..... anyone local to me ? ( Southampton)
If you want the ultimate KW or similar is the way to go, but it costs.

For me, a compromise between that and the original set up was right, hence the b12s, if I'm in a position to fit KW in the future I will. My experience is one of big improvement overall, as you're brother in law has found. It's only over pot holes where I feel it hits harder and crashes more, otherwise damping and control is a different level.

All subjective and of course but best make an informed decision and take into account everyone's experiences.

RedUn

Suspension upgrade

Post by RedUn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:09 am

Bodyboarder wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 am Very odd ! My brother in law on his coupe had standard suspension and it was very crashy , changed just the springs to Eibach’s and the transformation was very surprising. Smoother ride , better pitch/dive control, less body roll . So much better !

I had eibach springs for a while too and found the same as you. I think some people must have knackered dampers before fitting them hence the bad experience?

It doesn't explain the bad experience with the B12s though.

There's a guy with an Imola coupe on V3s in Surrey, not seen him on here for a while though. Worth getting along to a local meet :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR