Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35is Back to MR

"M" Specific discussion
Boyo

35is Back to MR

Post by Boyo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 am

I currently have a 65 plate 35is which I bought about 20 months ago as an AUC. The car has been faultless and I have really enjoyed it. Prior to the 35is, I had a beautiful low mileage MR, which I ran for three years. A part of me is missing the interaction of the MR and I am toying with going back to one, however, I am not sure whether I will regret it. My daily drive is split between a 140i and a Lupo GTI, depending on what I am doing. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Last edited by Boyo on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (PDK)

Previous:
G29 M40i - Thundernight
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)
987 Boxster 2.7
E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
718 Cayman GTS 2.5
E89 35is
E85 M Roadster

Muckinonthesofa

35is Back to MR

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Boyo wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 am I currently have a 65 plate 35is which I bought about 20 months ago as an AUC. The car has been faultless and I have really enjoyed it. Prior to the 35is, I had a beautiful low mileage MR, which I ran for three years. A part of me is missing the interaction of the MR and I am toying with going back to one, however, I am not sure whether I will regret it. My daily drive is split between a 140i and a Lupo GTI, depending on what I am doing so. Any thoughts would be welcome.
I reckon the 35is would feel subjectively quicker even if it isn't, same for the 140i but I haven't driven either and a mate from work who's had a 1M, F10 M5 and currently a 140i raves about it! For me though, the Z4m is about the slightly analogue feel, manual box, awesome NA S54 etc. Mine is a weekender (Z4MC though) and I can never wait to get back into it! The Gruppe M seriously enhances the experience for me as well, as does the Bilstein set up. Everyone knows they're flawed and the ride and gearbox could be better but get them sliding on a wet roundabout and it's grin time :thumbsup: :driving: .

They look awesome and would probably be a much better financial decision as well. You've probably guessed that I'd say go for it! :thumbsup:

BTW, I'd love the other members from our neck of the woods (South Wales) to arrange a good Sunday run, you could reacquaint yourself with them before making a decision. :thumbsup:
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

35is Back to MR

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 pm

You could consider asking the person you sold your old //M to if they’d consider an E89 swap

Win win if they do, as you’d partly know the car
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Mad Professor

35is Back to MR

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:33 pm

I will follow this thread with interest as I had been considering going in the opposite direction albeit an earlier one to kill the stellar depreciation on the 35is - I was wanting the flexibility of the tin top roof as well as the more effete relaxed driving experience
Then again the putative reliability issues of the E89 kind of put me off . Am also maybe even thinking of a Cayman .
Drove a 2006 Cayman S this week and it totally blew me away -handling and sound track (Cornwell sports exhaust upgrade) were awesome - known 987 engine issues (IMS,RMS ,Bores,Radiators) scare me properly on pre 2009 models .
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Boyo

35is Back to MR

Post by Boyo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone so far for your thoughts :D . The 140i is certainly plenty quick enough and for me a great day to day all rounder. Balanced against the depreciation on the 35is, it hasn't cost me anything to run other than fuel and swapping out the run flats for MPSS non run flats. It has a service plan until November 2020 and should I decide to keep it then I will need to consider whether to take extended warranty. Unfortunately my previous MR was traded by its new owner to Halliwell Jones in Wilmslow where it stood for a good few months as they were asking £22K! Not sure if they sold it but it hasn't been advertised by them recently.
Current:
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (PDK)

Previous:
G29 M40i - Thundernight
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)
987 Boxster 2.7
E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
718 Cayman GTS 2.5
E89 35is
E85 M Roadster

Mad Professor

35is Back to MR

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Not too shabby to have a 140i to play with
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

InterlagosZ4MR

35is Back to MR

Post by InterlagosZ4MR » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 pm

I have a ZMR and a 140. I like the extreme difference between the Z and the 140. If I had an e89 I wouldn’t see the point of the 140 and similarly couldn’t be bothered to drive the e89’at the weekends as it would be too similar. Having said that I have a M2 comp on and will probably sell the 1 and the Z as it will be a good balance between the two. Z has done 45000 and has FBMWSH. Just sayin!

Papa_Zee

35is Back to MR

Post by Papa_Zee » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Muckinonthesofa wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:19 pm
Boyo wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 am I currently have a 65 plate 35is which I bought about 20 months ago as an AUC. The car has been faultless and I have really enjoyed it. Prior to the 35is, I had a beautiful low mileage MR, which I ran for three years. A part of me is missing the interaction of the MR and I am toying with going back to one, however, I am not sure whether I will regret it. My daily drive is split between a 140i and a Lupo GTI, depending on what I am doing so. Any thoughts would be welcome.
I reckon the 35is would feel subjectively quicker even if it isn't, same for the 140i but I haven't driven either and a mate from work who's had a 1M, F10 M5 and currently a 140i raves about it! For me though, the Z4m is about the slightly analogue feel, manual box, awesome NA S54 etc. Mine is a weekender (Z4MC though) and I can never wait to get back into it! The Gruppe M seriously enhances the experience for me as well, as does the Bilstein set up. Everyone knows they're flawed and the ride and gearbox could be better but get them sliding on a wet roundabout and it's grin time :thumbsup: :driving: .

They look awesome and would probably be a much better financial decision as well. You've probably guessed that I'd say go for it! :thumbsup:

BTW, I'd love the other members from our neck of the woods (South Wales) to arrange a good Sunday run, you could reacquaint yourself with them before making a decision. :thumbsup:
Anyone Kent/Sussex? :-)
E89 35is