Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Interim Oil Changes - to stamp or not to stamp?

"M" Specific discussion
Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 pm I’d leave he book alone just have the official services in there.

Keeping all the receipts and log of work done elsewhere can then be shown when selling.

JMO though.
I agree with this approach. Although the since mine is 100% self serviced I still log the "official" services in there and just sign it without a stamp.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I wouldn't clutter up the Service Book to record my own. Receipts and some record of what and when done, at what mileage, seems the best to me. After all, what you may write in the book is meaningless without some other evidence.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 pm

I’m a bit cautious about self service oil changes.

I know there are many competent people here, using the right tools, knowing the sump screw must be torqued correctly with a new washer & that it is easily over tightened or cross threaded.

I’ve also seen a few friends cars where interim work was done by the DIY enthusiast, who’ve subsequently had to have helicoiling for spark plugs, sump washers etc..., hidden snapped water pump bolts, mullered bolts, broken brake line /ABS sensor clips etc...

I’m therefore a little cautious when I become aware of DIYers on what is becoming a sought after classic, so I would suggest simply do the oil change for yourself, disclose at the time of sale if u think helps, though propose to keep it out of the service book.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 pm

Jembo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 pm I’m a bit cautious about self service oil changes.

I know there are many competent people here, using the right tools, knowing the sump screw must be torqued correctly with a new washer & that it is easily over tightened or cross threaded.

I’ve also seen a few friends cars where interim work was done by the DIY enthusiast, who’ve subsequently had to have helicoiling for spark plugs, sump washers etc..., hidden snapped water pump bolts, mullered bolts, broken brake line /ABS sensor clips etc...

I’m therefore a little cautious when I become aware of DIYers on what is becoming a sought after classic, so I would suggest simply do the oil change for yourself, disclose at the time of sale if u think helps, though propose to keep it out of the service book.
Very valid point!

I've done my usual and written all over the paperwork and left it out the book, think that's a fair compromise for now.

I'm contemplating asking for a second service book from bmw for my own service record and then depending on when/who comes to buy it there's always the option of letting them have it if you think it's worthwhile?
IMOLA Z4///MR