Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reset fault code

"M" Specific discussion
Gaijiniji

Reset fault code

Post by Gaijiniji » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Afternoon all,

I went for a drive yesterday and all seemed well with the world until i came home and was parking. Suddenly the car seemed to vibrate and was making a regular blowing noise consistent with a misfire. Knowing that spark plugs were replaced recently i guessed it must be a coil pack.

Removing the engine cover and disconnecting the coil packs one by one narrowed down the problematic cylinder. Swapping the suspect coil pack over to another cylinder demonstrated that the issue followed the coil pack ergo a faulty coil pack.

I still however have an EML on the dashboard. I have tried to reset it using the Torque application but the fault code persists (engine is running smooth). Is this a fault that clears after running or am I using an incorrect procedure to clear it?

- Key to position where dash lights up but engine not ruinning
- scan fault code
- clear codes

I realise that one coil pack failing probably means the rest will follow in quick succession...

On another note - a good few years into ownership of the Z4m and I keep thinking about selling it... but I just cant!

Gaijiniji

Reset fault code

Post by Gaijiniji » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Resolved!

I just went out and started the car and the fault has now been cleared (mysteriously)

Thank to anyone that gave this any thought

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Reset fault code

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 pm

I had a faulty coil pack and replacing it cleared the check engine light after a restart. IIRC I had to clear the code manually.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone