Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone know this Blue Z4MR?

"M" Specific discussion
Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:07 pm

That's a shame mate but I think you are right, main dealer or private is the way to go and the fact it has been for sale for so long says something - however, for the right price it would be worth a punt.
I think with any M at that sort of money you have accept you will probably put 1k into it to get it to where you want it - that's why the best examples are 14k+ At that mileage crank bearings may be a consideration, that's another 1k. It's all fine if you know it's going to be a keeper but as you've stated, tyres, paint, and valve check added to the equation probably puts you at 13.5k then if the vanos needs rebuilding that's another £400+. That said, at least you know you'd have a very sorted car after that which you'd easily move on.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

eff1guy

Post by eff1guy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:47 am

petrolhead88 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 pm He actually claimed he bought the car for £11500.
I PM'd Mark the previous owner, ironically on Thursday morning. He traded it at 11k. Have a chat with him, nice guy very helpful. :thumbsup: He said he missed the car and it was well maintained and looked after. And having spent some time reading through his previous posts before contacting him, he obviously did as did the previous owner Mark also a former forum member. Dealer only offered me 17k for mine over the phone, even though he said it was a 20k trade in all day long on book price. Reckoned he couldn't justify taking a more expensive car in part-ex :headbang: fair enough I guess but NO way I'm letting mine go for that, I'd rather keep it. :driving:

The car has sat for 12 months, maybe it just needs some suspension bush work etc and maybe the lowering springs aren't helping any?? I was willing to take a punt for that money, especially with the GruppeM and Gaptech etc

There's still possibly more wiggle room as the winter months draw in :thumbsup:
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

petrolhead88

Post by petrolhead88 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Worth adding, the brakes absolutely stank the first time I leaned on them.

There was also a strong clutch smell the first time I used full throttle, but it didn’t come back after that.

It’s clear the car has sat for a very long time as the AC smelt damp also.
As someone mentioned above, I think if someone sinks £1k into it they’ll have a tidy motor if they can sort the wheels and mud flaps out.

But not for me at the advertised price sadly.
Current fleet:
BMW Z4M Roadster
Ferrari 360 Spider
Ford Fiesta 1.0

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:53 pm

petrolhead88 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:45 pm Worth adding, the brakes absolutely stank the first time I leaned on them.

There was also a strong clutch smell the first time I used full throttle, but it didn’t come back after that.

As someone mentioned above, I think if someone sinks £1k into it they’ll have a tidy motor if they can sort the wheels and mud flaps out.

Seriously :( you were looking at a 80k 12yr old sports car that hasn't moved for over 12months priced at the low end of the market .
We regularly see & hear of top dollar Sytner cars that fail to meet a basic standard .
Even forum cars perceived as "perfect" examples will have issues & defects to remedy , i don't think there is a perfect used ZM out there no matter who is the seller .
You have to rationalise whats in front of you & picture the stone after its been polished :wink: nothing ive heard would put me off buying that car , it sounds way way better than the one i have now that the forum owner in his own words " loved & adored for 5 years " :cry: it was pitiful but i looked beyond the grime * petty problems & now have a cracking over serviced 66k example that i'm proud of .
Look at some more & you may find yourself going back or upping your budget considerably
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:53 pm
petrolhead88 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:45 pm Worth adding, the brakes absolutely stank the first time I leaned on them.

Seriously :( you were looking at a 80k 12yr old sports car that hasn't moved for over 12months priced at the low end of the market .
We regularly see & hear of top dollar Sytner cars that fail to meet a basic standard .
Even forum cars perceived as "perfect" examples will have issues & defects to remedy , i don't think there is a perfect used ZM out there no matter who is the seller .
You have to rationalise whats in front of you & picture the stone after its been polished :wink: nothing ive heard would put me off buying that car , it sounds way way better than the one i have now that the forum owner in his own words " loved & adored for 5 years " :cry: it was pitiful but i looked beyond the grime * petty problems & now have a cracking over serviced 66k example that i'm proud of .
Look at some more & you may find yourself going back or upping your budget considerably
Fair words actually. My car was somewhat unloved but described as being in great condition however, it took me 2 days to clean her up! Ultimately the base car was good and for, it was the right colour. I looked at the blue but it just didn't do it for me (there's a nice one in the for sale ads) As Mr Wilks said all second hand M's will need something hence the general wisdom is £1500 - £2000 for the three big areas, shells, valve clearances and possible vanos refresh - as stated they are 12yrs old now. I'm the type that wants a benchmark for his car so I've done things that other may not have or could have waited - it's personal preference.
If nothing else you can instantly take £500 600 of the cost by selling the Gruppe.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Coming into new ownership of my M i New I’d have to spend 1-2k to get it up to scratch ..... they are old cars , and will have related issues . You’d be mad to think you can find one absolutely as new condition and not any money needing to be spent . All depends on your standards I guess . Saying that I looked at some right dogs and didn’t even make an offer on them .

M M M

Post by M M M » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 am

Been in discussions about this car as well and he won't budge on price despite admitting me wants it gone - then proceeded to offer me £8,100 for my E89 when the same cars with same mileage are £12,000 elsewhere.

Needless to say I walked away as £3,500 to change into an older car with over 20,000 more miles is a non starter.

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 am

petrolhead88 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 pm On that note, the last inspection 2 only had an audible check of valve clearances. I’m not a mechanic, but I’m sure this is the not the correct way to do it?
It isn't the BMW way. The clearances are manually measured with feeler gauges on a cold engine and if out reshimmed. A skilled but tedious task requiring a shim kit. That's why shortcuts are taken.
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer

monkadill

Post by monkadill » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Hey....it was my ///M!

In response to these observations made by Petrolhead88;
"Turns out there were 2 scuffs on the bumper, a ding and chip on the rear quarter, lacquer peel on the front and light scratches all over the car" When i sold it to the dealer it was mint and no peeling lacquer , no dings or chips but it did have a small scuff on the front spoiler. I wonder if they used the car as they sold themselves as petrolheads and car enthusiasts? I sold it for 11k on the nose so i guess thats whey they are playing hard ball. Yes, i had it lowererd and i liked the BBS wheels but i guess they are not to everyones taste. PM me for more info if required :)
Stubby - Intravee - Cup holders - GapTech - Forum sticker - Gruppe M - H&R springs