Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine mounts

"M" Specific discussion
Simon 3.2M

Engine mounts

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am

Whilst the subject of poly bushes for the lollipops is being discussed, what are people's thoughts on engine mounts - OEM or uprated?
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Mike.

Engine mounts

Post by Mike. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 am

I'd check they actually need doing before committing, I had mine checked during Inspection 2 based on recommendation on this forum. I was also in an open wallet mentality towards the car during this and my independent knew this... great opportunity to say they need doing and charge me but they said they were fine, original, 2007 car with 55k miles.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Engine mounts

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm

The vibratech mounts make the car feel more planted but I seem to remember members who have installed them have reported creaking. Beedub has them I think so worth asking him :thumbsup:

On the case of doing them. These are IMO just as important if not more important than the bearings as these are age related items just as they are mileage. They are rubber and I think its the passenger side that is right next to the heat shield making that one perish faster, they compress and perish. In some cases they completely separate. At the age of these cars 10-12 years old I would say regardless of mileage they should be on the list.

There are signs. They can leak but there is a shield so unlikely you will see any fluid on the driveway. When the mounts have compressed there is more vibration from the engine and the engine itself can move more than it should under torque if the mounts have separated. This is why having the engine bolts changed is a good idea too as these were a fault anyway but they can get loose and under more strain can also snap. I think TomK had this issue the bolts had sheared completely.

At the end of the day they are hard to get to and you cant see them unless you remove the undertray, they could well be perished or separated but while the engine is off all weight is on them so you wouldn't know if they were separated. You would also only be able to compare when they come out.

Again if your having the bearings done it makes sense to have them do at the same time for piece of mind it shouldn't cost a lot. Engine movement can cause big bills as its connected to the trans etc and the vibration and torque movement will flow to everything connected.

Failure and separation

Compression

Complete failure

Simon 3.2M

Engine mounts

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:32 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm The vibratech mounts make the car feel more planted but I seem to remember members who have installed them have reported creaking. Beedub has them I think so worth asking him :thumbsup:

On the case of doing them. These are IMO just as important if not more important than the bearings as these are age related items just as they are mileage. They are rubber and I think its the passenger side that is right next to the heat shield making that one perish faster, they compress and perish. In some cases they completely separate. At the age of these cars 10-12 years old I would say regardless of mileage they should be on the list.

There are signs. They can leak but there is a shield so unlikely you will see any fluid on the driveway. When the mounts have compressed there is more vibration from the engine and the engine itself can move more than it should under torque if the mounts have separated. This is why having the engine bolts changed is a good idea too as these were a fault anyway but they can get loose and under more strain can also snap. I think TomK had this issue the bolts had sheared completely.

At the end of the day they are hard to get to and you cant see them unless you remove the undertray, they could well be perished or separated but while the engine is off all weight is on them so you wouldn't know if they were separated. You would also only be able to compare when they come out.

Again if your having the bearings done it makes sense to have them do at the same time for piece of mind it shouldn't cost a lot. Engine movement can cause big bills as its connected to the trans etc and the vibration and torque movement will flow to everything connected.

Failure and separation

Compression

Complete failure
I've had the bearings done Tom and the Indy said they were fine and didn't recommend uprated mounts. They don't look difficult to change - just remove the under tray and aluminium support and you can access the bolts through the wishbone.
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Engine mounts

Post by mmm-five » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:34 pm

I have the Vibratechnic road set on mine, and can’t say I’ve noticed any additional NVH over standard.

They look better than OE ones too...

Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

TomK

Engine mounts

Post by TomK » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm I think TomK had this issue the bolts had sheared completely.
Nope, not me.
I changed mine at about 60k for the vt road mounts. Original bolts hadn't backed out at all and the mounts themselves looked absolutely fine.
I can't say I noticed much difference really, although I would say the 2nd gear denial syndrome was definitely improved, so worth it for that alone imo, especially as it takes provably 10 mins to do on a lift.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Mikey_Boy

Engine mounts

Post by Mikey_Boy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:05 pm

^^^ +1 for what TomK says above - I've got VT mounts on mine - no increase in NVH at all but definitely a tighter feel up front and a real improvement to 2nd gear denial... :thumbsup:

Bottom

Engine mounts

Post by Bottom » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Another happy Vibratech user here, one of the most cost effective mods I've ever done on a car.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Engine mounts

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:33 pm

TomK wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm
tomscott wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm I think TomK had this issue the bolts had sheared completely.
Nope, not me.
I changed mine at about 60k for the vt road mounts. Original bolts hadn't backed out at all and the mounts themselves looked absolutely fine.
I can't say I noticed much difference really, although I would say the 2nd gear denial syndrome was definitely improved, so worth it for that alone imo, especially as it takes provably 10 mins to do on a lift.
Ah ok must be someone else! :thumbsup:

Anyway all knowledge is good knowledge.

crustyclown777

Engine mounts

Post by crustyclown777 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm

How many mounts are needed? 2?
Z4MC Interlagos Blue
Instagram: z4mcuk

Mangozac

Engine mounts

Post by Mangozac » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 pm

crustyclown777 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm How many mounts are needed? 2?
Correct
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Engine mounts

Post by Jembo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 pm

I have VT mounts, they’re well hidden once fitted though can’t comment on benefits as fitted by last owner along with the rear top mounts.

One of those small but cumulative mods that every day make our toys that bit better.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Engine mounts

Post by MrPT » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Nope, not me.
And with no lift available? Could you safely put the car on axle stands and use a jack plus some kid of load spreader (aka a plank) to take the weight of the engine while you replace the mounts? Is there enough clearance to torque the bolts properly?

Lots of questions, sorry. It’s just not something I’d considered I could do myself before. :)
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Engine mounts

Post by john-e89 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:45 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm
Nope, not me.
And with no lift available? Could you safely put the car on axle stands and use a jack plus some kid of load spreader (aka a plank) to take the weight of the engine while you replace the mounts? Is there enough clearance to torque the bolts properly?

Lots of questions, sorry. It’s just not something I’d considered I could do myself before. :)
You could hire a ramp for an hour MrPT at one of those places with a few ramps for the public to use. Use a gearbox stand to take the engine once it’s in the air.

Or hire an engine hoist on wheels and chain the engine that way. Planks sound a bit heath Robinson and would be in the way.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Simon 3.2M

Engine mounts

Post by Simon 3.2M » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am

MrPT wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm
Nope, not me.

I think you can put axle stands on the front, remove the aluminium under tray, undo the mount bolts , jack the engine (place wood in between) swap the mounts and reverse what you've just done. Not sure if I'm over simplifying the procedure but I'm sure others can comment. I'm not sure of torque figures though.
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5