Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forgot crankhase breather hose

"M" Specific discussion
Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:12 am

The one on top of valve-cover-cover (:-)) and inlet manifold.

Just finished a DIY Inspection II, started it up, let it idle for a minute, revved to 2000 RPM in a bid to bring down the somewhat high idle, let it idle a minute more and then noticed I forgot to plug in one side of the breather hose.

Camshafts and rockers were pretty dry (no oil) because of the valve clearance job just before. Does this breather hose have any influence on oil getting to the camshafts ? Like creating some positive or negative pressure needed for the oil to get upwards and get spilled around ?

If so, camshafts, rockers, shims and valve springs/stems could have been running completely dry for some minutes.

Nothing to do about it anymore and car runs fine, but just for completion's sake, does that breather hose influence oil circulation or is the oil pump alone enough to get the oil everywhere ?

Thanks !

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:47 am

Cant answer your question but why would the camshafts, rockers and I suppose shims be dry? Did you not oil everything while assembling?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Gustavo7

Post by Gustavo7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:10 pm

As the name says, it's a breather hose. It didn't and it wouldn't cause any damage. You can relax!
Imola Red Z4MC