Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Whats high mileage on a Z4M these days?

"M" Specific discussion
houtie123

Post by houtie123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:03 am

Now these cars are well over 10 years old, even "normal low" mileage cars would take have well over 100k on the clock. We all see these garage queens with say 30k, but if you were in the market for an M now, what would be a sensible mileage (with concurrent provenance)?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:57 pm

The mileage isn’t as important as how it’s been treated & maintained.

I bet there’s 100k+ examples out there in better mechanical condition than 10k mile investments.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Coppins999

Post by Coppins999 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Having just bought my Z4M and been compiling lists of such information and narrowly avoiding total nerd status by not getting the excel spreadsheet of mileage -v- price done before buying, I'd say in the UK, roughly the following for Roadsters only (my choice) and this is obviously based on what was for sale. I suspect that a survey of owners on this list may yield differing results as they may be more likely to be in the cherished and weekend / dry weather category.

< 30k miles attract a premium and I even saw one car under 8k miles.
30k - 50k miles are still low miles
50k - 80k miles are the bulk of cars
80k - 100k miles considered high mileage
> 100k miles only a few cars and priced accordingly

Just my view of how I saw things. So based on a median value of about 65k miles then roughly 6000 miles a year. Though price guides usually front load mileage values.

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:00 pm

I think as mmm-five has stated, it is approaching the point where condition and maintenance are more important than mileage. The way I see it is that a 100k car is around 11k and a 70k car 13-14k however, at both these mileages I would do both the rod bearings and valve clearances if they haven't already been done - that is around a £1500 spend. Your cars are suddenly 12.5 and 15.5k however, if you were to sell on straight away would the 70k car sell for 15.5k? I'm not sure it would as I'm not sure the 100k car would sell for 12.5 k although I think it might squeeze 12k to the right buyer.
I genuinely believe that any well maintained M will always be worth 10k and as they age further the baseline will no doubt increase. What I don't know are the timescales involved.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice