Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering fluid; reservoir 'ATF' vs dealer 'CHF' ?!

"M" Specific discussion
Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Z4MC built 2006, documentation states 2007.

Reservoir states ATF, but the dealer's system prescribes CHF hydraulic fluid based on vin LK 43835 :(

I tend to go with ATF, doubting that the reservoir was ever replaced with a faulty one.

Another suggestion could be dipping some cloth in it and checking the color, I understood that ATF is always supposed to be red and hydraulic fluid another color.

What would you do ? 8)

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm

"ATF" is just a generic description of a hydraulic oil as used in Auto Trans (i.e. Automatic Transmission Fluid - a thin gear oil also used for the hydraulic controls in an auto box).

CHF-11S is a Pentosin specific brand name for their specific hydraulic fluid and is the normal PAS fluid so I'd use that rather than a general ATF.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Either way, hydraulic systems such as these are not fussy about which oil they use. I'd be happy with either.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 pm

rally-chris wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm "ATF" is just a generic description of a hydraulic oil as used in Auto Trans (i.e. Automatic Transmission Fluid - a thin gear oil also used for the hydraulic controls in an auto box).

CHF-11S is a Pentosin specific brand name for their specific hydraulic fluid and is the normal PAS fluid so I'd use that rather than a general ATF.

Chris
Thanks, but the reservoir cap explicitly states 'Only use ATF' and the ATF is more specifically designated in the parts database : BMW ATF D II.

Twice as expensive as CHF, 30 euros, like 35-40 dollars or something. Stealuuuurship :!:

Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:29 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm Either way, hydraulic systems such as these are not fussy about which oil they use. I'd be happy with either.
Thanks but that makes the info flying around pretty conflicting; others really state that it can do harm and cause PAS whining sounds etc. Want to minimize risks here, just saw the prices in the replacement parts catalogue.

Germans really only want to part with their parts for a high price :rofl: