Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Think I should have test driven one

"M" Specific discussion
srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Bodyboarder wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am
RedUn wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am
Bodyboarder wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 am All good points :thumbsup:

I’m not just going jump ship straight away , as I really need to get to know the car and this thread has put my mind at rest with regards the engine note , so thank you :roll:

If I think back to when I got my S2k I remember feeling very similar.... I guess you have an expectation of what something should be like . With a couple of choice mods it was transformed though .

Once I get it back from the service and all being checked over I’ll go out for a few days and really get a better feel for it I suspect ... and knowing me start to enjoy it :oops:
Previous S2k owner too, I had the same feeling for a long time as the S2k, once setup properly, is verging on lotus territory - not many people understand the development that went into the S2k it was quite astonishing.

In any case once you sort the zed out it is like a big S2k really, it's just a bit more all over, more power, more grip, more noise, more weight etc.

Where are you based? I'm sure a few people would be willing to take you for a quick blast in a tweaked zed :thumbsup:
I’m in Southampton.... and yes the S2k is a very special little car once set properly. All I have done is a set of ohlins , AP brakes and some sticky Tyres .
Come and join us at Beaulieu on Saturday. There will be a couple of hatchbacks there to keep you company.

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 pm

The first drive with a S2000 was love at first sight. That gearbox, the handling, the sound , the way it steers and the feeling of it...
My first drive with a Z4M damn. I got out of it and I was scared. My stomach was squeezed. Different kind of animal...
After many years together 2,5 I believe now that this car is so good in so many ways. My 2 cents are give it some time to understand it and some tasteful mods always help...
Last edited by FD3S on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gazza51

Post by Gazza51 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 pm

I’ve had my Z4MC for just over a month now, absolutely loving it.

The S54 engine does need to be driven to get the best out of it

The Z4MC is very different to my S54 Z3MR, the Z4MC seems to have much more torque, perhaps the different gearbox ?

I can’t compare the Z4MC to my M3 CSL as that is just a different animal altogether.

Everyday driving and grin factor sees the Z4MC getting used the most :driving:
Current - Z4 MC, M3 CSL, S54 Z3MR, Z1.

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

I removed the CDV this evening, as I did with my previous Z's however, this is by far the most noticeable difference. Now the car is far nicer to drive 😊
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks all appreciate the feedback and thoughts ... hopefully get the car back on Friday after a service , cdv delete and full health check and be able to get to grips with it .

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 am

Bodyboarder wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:03 pm The car has eibach springs on and I find the ride pretty good .... the main issue I have is actually the engine !

Not a fan of the noise it makes at low rpm , sounds very tappy , almost like there’s a leak in the exhaust and is not particularly smooth in the lower rev range . Higher up sounds better .

If you don't like tge noise of the s54, you should consider a Gruppe M, Eventuri or similar. I can only speak for he Gruppe M but it's brilliant, the noise is amazing and totally transforms the character of the s54.
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 am

Yes as soon as get it back I’ll be going for an eventuri.... although the gruppe m is highly recommend, I can’t justify nearly 1k on it

Viren

Post by Viren » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:15 am

Bodyboarder wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:25 pm Thanks all appreciate the feedback and thoughts ... hopefully get the car back on Friday after a service , cdv delete and full health check and be able to get to grips with it .
I can't stress how much the car makes sense when you take it on track and push it. It all makes sense and will also teach you how to use it on road. Before considering changing/modding learn how it drives and learn the cars character.
07 Z4MC standard spec

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Bodyboarder wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 am Yes as soon as get it back I’ll be going for an eventuri.... although the gruppe m is highly recommend, I can’t justify nearly 1k on it
One just listed on forum at £550 , grab it quick , you won't be disappointed :evil:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Bodyboarder

Post by Bodyboarder » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Yep ... just pm’d him :D

Snow Mole

Post by Snow Mole » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Coming from Z3MR to a Z4MR its completely different. The Z3 had been tickled by Evolve with induction kit and remap - the Z4 is as standard and is a bit meh.
The gear ratio on the Z4 takes some getting used to but once up to 6th cruises nicely on the motorway. Perhaps with the new back boxes on it might grow on me. The wife loves it but then again pootles everywhere!

Richard
Rebel without a clue

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:58 am

mr wilks wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm
Bodyboarder wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 am Yes as soon as get it back I’ll be going for an eventuri.... although the gruppe m is highly recommend, I can’t justify nearly 1k on it
One just listed on forum at £550 , grab it quick , you won't be disappointed :evil:
We had the windows down with Jantekin all through the lanes to Goodwood yesterday, we both couldn’t stop grinning - great bit of kit
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 am

Bodyboarder wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:50 pm Yep ... just pm’d him :D
I see it's sold, were you the buyer?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 am

Rene_Z4MC wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:01 pm Stock suspension etc? If so there is hope.
Coming from an Elise I didn't like the ride too much when I just bought it, but after the following (relatively cheap) mods I have been enjoying it almost every day for the past 4 years :driving:
- CDV delete
- Eibach Pro Kit
- RTAB limiters
- Vibra Tech engine mounts
Good basic upgrades!

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:30 am

I loved my Z4MR from the day I bought it in 2010... In the years after I modified some aspects to my personal liking. 8 years later the time has come to sell it...it will be painful to sell this car this summer. But the Z4M needs to make room...because my M2 is my daily, the Z4M is the one that needs to go. Will be a sad day, because I loved every minute of owning my Z4MR. A truly great car and I hope you will feel the same in time...