Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0si to M

"M" Specific discussion
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

3.0si to M

Post by tomscott » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm

The E46 M3 and E86 Z4Ms are the same platform but man they are very different.

Both excellent cars and would have either again. Depends what you want. With the M3 you cant get away from the fact its a fast saloon not a sports car although does a decent job of bridging the gap. The Z4M is rawer in all aspects and is no where near as refined, compliant or as comfortable. Mostly because of the fact the seats are over the rear axel and you sit so low, in the E86 the ride is very similar to the ride in the M3 but in the rear seats. In the E46 its far more comfortable as you sit almost in the middle but that also means you dont get the same feel.

Some people love or hate those differences. The E86 took me a while to get used to but loved it.

You can see these things as positives and negatives. The e46 m3 is one of my fav BMWs of all time but the Z4M is a very close second.

Paper to real life is vastly different.

That being said I would have an E46 M3 for family duties and an E86 Z4M for the weekend all day long. Great combo imo...

The two I had.

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe, Ulswater Boat house, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageBMW E46 M3, Alston, Hartside, Cumbria, CSL wheels by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Thats if 911s didnt exist... :headbang: :D

ImagePorsche 996 Carrera 4 S Convertible, Lowther Castle, Penrith, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImagePorsche 996 Carrera 4 S Convertible, Lowther Castle, Penrith, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

TBH I was always anti the roadster, now im a bit older I appreciate it much more and for the cost difference the M coupe is gorgeous which to me is the main draw. That being said it is super claustrophobic, boomy and if anything the aural experience is no where close to the roadster. I didnt even know how much noise the coupe made until I was photographing mine out the back of another vehicle with my dad driving, the induction noise is very loud outside the car.

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe, Silver Grey, CSL wheels by Tom Scott, on Flickr

I dont think the coupe is so much better that it asks 3-40% more than the equivalent roady. If you want an M the roady is the bargain atm and like the Z3M will take longer to get there but will certainly appreciate too.
Last edited by tomscott on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Simon 3.2M

3.0si to M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:50 pm

idej_jedi wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 am I've never driven an ///M
Simon 3.0si wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:47 am Ultimately the fact is that after a period of time any car won't feel as fast as it did when you first drove it and this thread is about the Z4M and the 3.0si in comparison to one another. Both have merits and both have drawbacks, the si is an everyday, every man's driveable car that is comfortable, predictable and fun to drive in a myriad of different settings, the M is probably less so. Some say the S54 is fragile and must have the valves and bearing shells done and is one drive aware from blowing up. Some indy's say they've never had to adjust the valves some say they have, some say the shells have worn on low mileage cars, some say engines with 150k+ that have been thrashed on the track have been fine. Most do say that as long as the correct grade / quality oil is used and they are allowed to warm up they are generally bullet proof. When it comes to the si people bemoan the imminently failing water pumps, the failing solenoids or the blocked internal CCV. If I get an M I intend to keep it stock and appreciate the car for what it is - I won't be bombing around on public roads at killer speeds, I wont be exploiting its full potential on the track either. What I will be doing is enjoying driving a car that is something a little out of the ordinary and good fun. I could blow up 2 miles down the road, it could last forever - it's a collection of metal parts and metal wears over time, you can only do your best to mitigate that with proper maintenance, oil and letting the engine warm up properly - as you should do with any car! As I've mentioned, for me they are chalk and cheese with the added bonus that if looked after, come sale time you shouldn't loose too much if anything and it is relatively easy to jump back into an si if it doesn't work out.
I've never driven an ///M so my thoughts are based purely on what I do know...although I might add I was getting pretty close recently to potentially making the switch but life happens and things change very quickly.

What I would say is that the things that worried me were the cost of road tax (double), service (double) and parts (harder to come by and therefore more expensive). It also costs more in fuel and insurance. With that in mind I was always conscious that if the ///M didn't feel worth double my money I probably wouldn't make the switch. Reading this thread though it is likely that it isn't double the car, but that isn't the point! Maybe I'm just not rich enough yet to own an ///M if Im always looking over my shoulder at general running costs.

One thing I would say though is I don't totally agree with your comments around what you'll lose in a couple of years, especially on the Coupe versions I've had my Si Coupe for over two years now and reckon I've lost around £1,500...maybe £1,750 at the most. I don't think that amount is much different to what I would lose on an ///M if I did the same mileage.
I think both cars have depreciated to the levels where they will likely stay, an M in decent condition should pull 10k all day long as will a nice si Coupe (The M coupe is a different kettle of fish altogether!!) If you are paying 14-15k for either then it may be a different story.

I'm fortunate in that the car will be a "toy" for me, used at weekends and in decent weather and it's more about having owned one - I wouldn't run one as an daily however, I would an si.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Bodyboarder

3.0si to M

Post by Bodyboarder » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:40 pm

This is a great thread for me ..... I want a MC but probably would be better off with a 3.0 C . I have a mint Honda S2000 with 28k on that is a summer /fun day car that lives in the garage . The coupe ( in either form ) will be used for going to the gym , winter , pricing work ( self employed) winter use , will stay out side . Just seems a bit wrong doing this to an M .....

Bodyboarder

3.0si to M

Post by Bodyboarder » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:07 pm

..... or a 370z ? Gets the flame suit at the ready :P

I’ve had 2 HR 350z’s and loved them both .

Sorry going off topic :?

Simon 3.2M

3.0si to M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:34 pm

I guy drives past my work in a black Z4MC - being an everyday, all year round car isn't a problem - a lot of people forget that both the roadster and coupe are designed for year round use.
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

buzyg
Legend
Legend

3.0si to M

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:40 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm The E46 M3 and E86 Z4Ms are the same platform but man they are very different.

Both excellent cars and would have either again. Depends what you want. With the M3 you cant get away from the fact its a fast saloon not a sports car although does a decent job of bridging the gap. The Z4M is rawer in all aspects and is no where near as refined, compliant or as comfortable. Mostly because of the fact the seats are over the rear axel and you sit so low, in the E86 the ride is very similar to the ride in the M3 but in the rear seats. In the E46 its far more comfortable as you sit almost in the middle but that also means you dont get the same feel.

Some people love or hate those differences. The E86 took me a while to get used to but loved it.

You can see these things as positives and negatives. The e46 m3 is one of my fav BMWs of all time but the Z4M is a very close second.

That being said I would have an E46 M3 for family duties and an E86 Z4M for the weekend all day long. Great combo imo...

The two I had.

TBH I was always anti the roadster, now im a bit older I appreciate it much more and for the cost difference the M coupe is gorgeous which to me is the main draw. That being said it is super claustrophobic, boomy and if anything the aural experience is no where close to the roadster. I didnt even know how much noise the coupe made until I was photographing mine out the back of another vehicle with my dad driving, the induction noise is very loud outside the car.

I dont think the coupe is so much better that it asks 3-40% more than the equivalent roady. If you want an M the roady is the bargain atm and like the Z3M will take longer to get there but will certainly appreciate too.
As always cracking pics Tom :thumbsup:

R60BBA

3.0si to M

Post by R60BBA » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:09 pm

I wonder if putting a 4.10 diff in an E46 M3 would cure my torque issue :?
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Simon 3.2M

3.0si to M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:57 pm

I must say, without sounding arrogant or like I'm gloating but OMG, the M is just war!! My advice would be if you could make the jump then you definately should. Yes the running costs are more and there's the inspection 2 requirement but what a drivers car!! :D
Last edited by Simon 3.2M on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

3.0si to M

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 pm

I'll just have to pretend I never read Simon's last post. :roll:

Or try to sell some body parts! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

3.0si to M

Post by Jembo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 pm I'll just have to pretend I never read Simon's last post. :roll:

Or try to sell some body parts! :lol:
U wait until he fits a Gruppe induction... the only downside to listening to that warble is a 20% loss in MPG
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Simon 3.2M

3.0si to M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:30 pm

IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG (553.35 KiB) Viewed 988 times
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

Simon 3.2M

3.0si to M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:31 pm

😊
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

3.0si to M

Post by DPG » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:26 pm

Congratulations :D

Status

3.0si to M

Post by Status » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 am

Picked my M up on Thursday,totally different car to drive compared to my si,everything seems so much tighter,not thrashed it properly yet

Simon 3.2M

3.0si to M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:19 am

tomscott wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm The E46 M3 and E86 Z4Ms are the same platform but man they are very different.

The two I had.

Status wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 am Picked my M up on Thursday,totally different car to drive compared to my si,everything seems so much tighter,not thrashed it properly yet
Are you planning on getting the bearing shells checked?
Sepang Coupe

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Maldives Blue 2.5