Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Difficult decisions!!

"M" Specific discussion
Das882

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Das882 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Looks like I will be selling all my toys :thumbsdown: short of a lottery win I can’t see any other way of raising the money to buy a French 2nd home, there is a house coming on the market in a few months time which my wife and I are really keen on.
The bikes would be more easy to replace than the Coupe, which I think is a great car even though I have only done 850 miles since I got it 18 months ago.....(now only 53444) I have probably spent more time working on the car as opposed to driving it!!!.....I was thinking that I should really get out more what with the weather being so good but I tend to use the bike instead!!

CROWD FUND ANYONE???😀
Attachments
101A6AB1-1E30-4048-91D9-5F561C153468.jpeg
101A6AB1-1E30-4048-91D9-5F561C153468.jpeg (403.28 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC

Bombardino

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Bombardino » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Now that’s a real first world problem.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Marlon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Crowd Fund - love it :lol:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:32 pm

K100 or k75 engined bike? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Das882

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Das882 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 pm

K100 it’s 99% finished, just waiting for some closed cell foam for the seat, then MOT. :D
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC

Anmarube

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Anmarube » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Love the BMW K100 cafe racer pal. Who got the engine looking so good?

Cheers

Russell

Das882

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Das882 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:33 pm

The casings were Soda blasted, I bought the bike which was originally a RT with the engine back in the powder coated frame , essentially just a rolling chassis. The engine had not been run for many years, but after a few electrical Gremlins fired up, I shortened the frame to suit the seat unitt, mocked up the exhaust Ducati style on the LH side but was not happy with the look so I re-did it on the Right. Except for having to rebuild the water pump due to getting water in the oil ( tell tale hole was blocked forcing the water through the oil lip seal) things went fairly well.
Last edited by Das882 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:35 pm

That's terrible news OP. :(

French property or an MC and 2 bikes?

Easy, MC and 2 bikes every time. Just rent a French property when you need it - it's probably a much cheaper option anyway! :)

But good luck, even if you do continue along the path you outlined. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Anmarube

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Anmarube » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:40 pm

Looks fantastic pal.
I asked as my Brother does Soda blasting and engine painting etc and done a K100 for a guy in Scotland.
Looked like his kind of work. Great build. Thinking of doing something myself to turn cafe. 70s jap as I have a few knocking about In various states.
Something to do come the winter months.

PS. Keep the bike. The car will raise the most cash. The bikes will still be fun things to have in the hideaway.

Das882

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Das882 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:57 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:35 pm That's terrible news OP. :(

Easy, MC and 2 bikes every time. Just rent a French property when you need it - it's probably a much cheaper option anyway! :)

Ever since I lived there in my early 20’s I’ve had an affinity with France and having a property with the intention of retiring there. I spent the first 3 months of this year house sitting for friends and it was then that we found out about this house coming on the market later in the year.
Your probably correct in saying that it would be cheaper to rent but.....
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC

derin100

Difficult decisions!!

Post by derin100 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:16 am

Das882 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:57 am
Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:35 pm That's terrible news OP. :(

Ever since I lived there in my early 20’s I’ve had an affinity with France and having a property with the intention of retiring there. I spent the first 3 months of this year house sitting for friends and it was then that we found out about this house coming on the market later in the year.
Your probably correct in saying that it would be cheaper to rent but.....
We have a house in the SW of France. If you want to ask any questions, I might be able to help as well.

We're not doing the holiday lets anymore at present but it gives you an idea:

http://www.leverger.me.uk/gallery/index ... TO_GALLERY

As Mr Tidy said, the house is not the cheap option. I would say that if it's marginal (down to the circa £20K that selling the Z4MC would yield) then I'd be thinking very seriously as to whether buying a house there is the right thing. They're not cheap to own and run (taxes etc.) and I don't know how much the house is that you're buying but the fees/taxes involved in buying aren't negligible either! The pain of just those can easily wipe out the value of a Z4MC and it feels just like you're 'giving' money away for almost nothing!

For example, my wife and I have considered selling ours and just buying something smaller but possibly of equivalent value now that our kids have left home. Just doing that swap would cost us something like 50K Euros. That's quite a few Z4s and bikes?

I'm not saying it isn't worth it (the lifestyle etc. is so much better) but think hard about what it's costing you in terms of money!

Good luck.
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Difficult decisions!!

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:37 am

Id have to agree with derin , we have multiple properties in France bought over the last 15 years
Its so easy to get into property there but can be very difficult & extremely costly to get out .
Currently a buyers market but in reality always has been , prices have grown very little unless you add value with renovation , some great "bargains" but be wary if any work required as its eyewateringly expensive to employ local tradesmen + materials are ridiculously priced unless access to a trade card .
France still offers a great way of life that i haven't tired of but my own experience tells me the days of enjoying that good life at low expenditure have long gone , all utilities are more expensive than UK ( no competition , still monopolised) food shop has VAT added so other than wine everything is 10-20% over similar Uk products) & insurances + council taxes have increased rapidly & appear to continue to do so
Unless 100% sure on a longterm plan then i would add up the costs of renting each year against the probable outgoings , holiday rental market is saturated too so don't bank on big returns there :cry: not wanting to spoil a dream but it isnt shangri la right now .
The poor exchange rate doesn't help of course
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

derin100

Difficult decisions!!

Post by derin100 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:05 pm

I would echo all of the above!
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

Franzino

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Franzino » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Das882 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 pm Looks like I will be selling all my toys :thumbsdown: short of a lottery win I can’t see any other way of raising the money to buy a French 2nd home, there is a house coming on the market in a few months time which my wife and I are really keen on.
The bikes would be more easy to replace than the Coupe, which I think is a great car even though I have only done 850 miles since I got it 18 months ago.....(now only 53444) I have probably spent more time working on the car as opposed to driving it!!!.....I was thinking that I should really get out more what with the weather being so good but I tend to use the bike instead!!

CROWD FUND ANYONE???😀
If you have done only 850 miles in 18 months, then you will probably not miss it when it is gone. I have my M2 for 18 months and have done 25.000miles with it. I have driven my Z4M also not that much any more...it is just standing there in the garage and does not come out much..which is such a shame and I'm thinking of selling it (after 8 years of ownership). In my opinion; a car needs to be driven..standing still it gives me no pleasure and has no function for me. So I'm guessing I will not miss my Z4M that much because I don't drive it that much anymore...you drove your Z4M even less, so you will probably miss it even less :)

Das882

Difficult decisions!!

Post by Das882 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Franzino wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 pm
Das882 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 pm Looks like I will be selling all my toys :thumbsdown: short of a lottery win I can’t see any other way of raising the money to buy a French 2nd home, there is a house coming on the market in a few months time which my wife and I are really keen on.

CROWD FUND ANYONE???😀
If you have done only 850 miles in 18 months, then you will probably not miss it when it is gone. I have my M2 for 18 months and have done 25.000miles with it. I have driven my Z4M also not that much any more...it is just standing there in the garage and does not come out much..which is such a shame and I'm thinking of selling it (after 8 years of ownership). In my opinion; a car needs to be driven..standing still it gives me no pleasure and has no function for me. So I'm guessing I will not miss my Z4M that much because I don't drive it that much anymore...you drove your Z4M even less, so you will probably miss it even less :)

I certainly would miss the M, it’s probably the classiest car I’ve ever owned even if I do hardly use it!! Its a great all round car and looks good although I think BMW missed a trick in not making the M look more different from an ordinary Z4.
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC