Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

[S54 BMW] Registration Plate

"M" Specific discussion
edg3

Post by edg3 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:03 pm

So this registration plate [S54 BMW] was for sale at the DVLA auctions in Stratford upon Avon today.

I had my eyes on it for my ///M but it went over my budget; selling for £4,100. Nobody on here by any chance?
Image Image
2006 Imola Red Z4M

wilson14

Post by wilson14 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Haha, I see this one listed but wasn’t registered in time for the auction, well out my price range anyway
Z4MR Imola red :D

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Fri May 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Wow that's big money for a nerd plate. Imagine the pitiful looks you'd get when you told people what it means :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
A Dirty M///

wilson14

Post by wilson14 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:07 pm

:rofl:
Z4MR Imola red :D

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 pm

That a cool plate - I think so anyway.

I wonder if the new owner knows it’s ‘real’ meaning or if it has another significance to them. You’d like to think they do though.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri May 18, 2018 9:00 pm

As a consolation how about MS54 ZMR or XS54 ZMR for £499 on the car ? DVLA http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/ ... r_priceto=
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:33 am

I was registered to bid for that along with a few others. IMO I think that's a crazy price for that plate. You would have to be sticking it on the one a low mileage CSL or the MR at Hexagon for it to make a bit of sense.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:03 pm

I was at the DVLA Auction on Wednesday and was talking to various buyers and dealers there. The general impression was that plates were now going for silly money at these events.

The DVLA have done so well at marketing the events and with buying possible either in the hall, by phone, internet and absent pre-bids, the increased hype is attracting unrealistic bids. i.e. They are achieving prices in the auction that you wont possibly match outside.

For instance, in a previous auction SY57EMS sold for a hammer price of £3300 (£4300 inc fees). I've had SY67EMS on ebay for 12 months at £1500-£1900 all in, and not had a sniff yet.

3 OJX also sold for £3k at the auction this week. I've got 111 OJX and I'll struggle to get an offer over £1500 in 12 months.

Therefore, it is difficult to buy a plate at Auction with the possibility of being able to re-sell it without a loss, let alone any profit afterwards.

I have also watched one company (Reg transfers) who attend every auction with an admin team of about 4/5 people. They bid on loads of plates, but they are bidding on behalf of people who could easily attend the auction and put in an absent maximum bid themselves, without needing to pay a commission and also put the money into the agents bank account in advance, on the basis that they might be successful.

I also watched those 9 or 10 plates that didnt sell at all under the hammer, due to no bids. Within an hour after, most had been snapped up at the reserve price. suggesting that they were bought by people who had no connection or intention of buying them originally, but perhaps failed on their own targets and wanted to come away with something. '333 VV' failed to sell under the hammer, but was snapped up within 15 mins for the reserve of £2200. Its a nice looking plate but I reckon they'll struggle to find anyone with those initials and and prepared to pay £3k+ on the open market.

I think the market is being fueled by naive people who are prepared to pay inflated prices and also via agents. It's Ok if you can justify the money and are happy to sit on it long term and for your own satisfaction.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat May 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Surely you can see why the auction plates vs your’s are worth different amounts?

In the first instance:
  • SY67EMS spells SYGTEMS or SYBTEMS and is limited to being fitted to quite recently registered vehicles
  • SY57TEMS spells SYSTEMS, can can be fitted to a much wider age range of vehicles
In the second instance:
  • fewer letters and numbers are always worth more...3 XXX worth more than 33 XXX which is worth more than 333 XXX
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Number 5.
I get what you are saying but are you not part of the same system by going to these and buying plates to try and make money from them?
All this does is drive the prices up.
Its almost like all the people buying property to rent out and putting the prices up for people who want to buy a house to actually live in.
Not saying what you are doing is wrong but you are not buying the plate because you want it, you are buying it to sell later and the price you sell it at you wouldnt pay that money yourself, so is this not the same as people paying larger amounts for the plates from DVLA.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 pm Number 5.
I get what you are saying but are you not part of the same system by going to these and buying plates to try and make money from them?
for the plates from DVLA.
Not really, I went to buy a plate with my initials for myself to keep, but it went way out of my budget. I've been to a few auctions over the last 15 years, as I've bought plates for my wife and both kids, (which they still have). However, I bought OJX for my son back in 2003 (when he was two), but have since bettered it, hence me wanting to sell it now.
mmm-five wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:32 pm Surely you can see why the auction plates vs your’s are worth different amounts?

In the first instance:
  • SY67EMS spells SYGTEMS or SYBTEMS and is limited to being fitted to quite recently registered vehicles
  • SY57TEMS spells SYSTEMS, can can be fitted to a much wider age range of vehicles
In the second instance:
  • fewer letters and numbers are always worth more...3 XXX worth more than 33 XXX which is worth more than 333 XXX
The SY57EMS plate sold in 2009 when it was only 2 years old so would have had the same market at the 67 plate does now. Also I didn't buy it at auction.

Obviously no two plates are the same but if you want OJX and the three is relevant surely a 3 and three 1's are likely to be of interest. Also yes, the less digits usually mean the plate is more valuable, but 1's are also more desirable than other digits.
You'd normally find 111 would be more valuable than 82 for instance.

It's all subjective, but those are the general rules.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

billz

Post by billz » Sat May 19, 2018 9:24 pm

A guy on zroadster.org bought it. He may be on here as he has a Z4M coupe and a Z4M roadster as well as his Z3M
3.0si Ruby Black, Champagne Leather, 3SDM Alloys Scorpion Exhaust