Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M - Suspension Help

"M" Specific discussion
InterlagosZ4MR

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by InterlagosZ4MR » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm

So I'm at my wits' end with what to do with the suspension on my Z4M... and it's now unloved, forlorn and undriveable.

The car has done 42,000 miles on original suspension and like many others find it too hard, imprecise, floaty and a bit understeery...
On the advice of this and other forums I put on an Bilstein B12 kit on it that has ruined the car. It's too low, but worse, it's trashy to the point where it just feels broken and the smallest pothole makes it feel like theres no suspension. It's impossible to drive fast as the smallest imperfection will unbalance the car and make it unpredictable. The crashyness is awful - and frankly I loathe the car. Yes, it's been back and checked, and yes I've had an alignment done...

All I want is for the Z to be as good as any of my M3s. I never want to do track days - it's simply for fast B and A roads, and is solely a weekend car.

I'm really not sure what to do - I'm not going to persevere with the B12 kit any more and am going to ditch it on eBay to some other poor unsuspecting M owner and put the original suspension back on. Short of selling the car (which I'll probably do as after 4 years I've had enough) - any last resorts as regards suspension fixes...?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by mmm-five » Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Is the B12 height-adjustable? Has it been set too low?

I have the B16 kit and love it, and have no problems on Welsh hoons, Peaks & Dales runs, Scottish outing, or Ring trips.

I specifically research/wanted a compliant ride as it was my daily, doing 25k miles a year. I also specifically asked for the car to be lowered no more than 1cm to avoid extra harshness and damage from speed bumps...although it seems to come back from my suspension service every year looking slightly lower, so will have to ave a word with him about that :headbang:

Where are you based? Maybe a couple of trips in cars equipped with different t suspensions options will help you make up your mind?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by Lynchy » Tue May 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Do you know any other Forum members with a Z4M that you can meet up with and have a drive in one another's car. I am not saying there's anything wrong with your car but someone else's opinion could help.

philbo909

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by philbo909 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:41 pm

InterlagosZ4MR wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm So I'm at my wits' end with what to do with the suspension on my Z4M... and it's now unloved, forlorn and undriveable.

The car has done 42,000 miles on original suspension and like many others find it too hard, imprecise, floaty and a bit understeery...
On the advice of this and other forums I put on an Bilstein B12 kit on it that has ruined the car. It's too low, but worse, it's trashy to the point where it just feels broken and the smallest pothole makes it feel like theres no suspension. It's impossible to drive fast as the smallest imperfection will unbalance the car and make it unpredictable. The crashyness is awful - and frankly I loathe the car. Yes, it's been back and checked, and yes I've had an alignment done...

All I want is for the Z to be as good as any of my M3s. I never want to do track days - it's simply for fast B and A roads, and is solely a weekend car.

I'm really not sure what to do - I'm not going to persevere with the B12 kit any more and am going to ditch it on eBay to some other poor unsuspecting M owner and put the original suspension back on. Short of selling the car (which I'll probably do as after 4 years I've had enough) - any last resorts as regards suspension fixes...?
Sell the b12 kit on here and get some adjustable coilovers?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

bmwaddict

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by bmwaddict » Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Lynchy wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:26 pm Do you know any other Forum members with a Z4M that you can meet up with and have a drive in one another's car. I am not saying there's anything wrong with your car but someone else's opinion could help.
Great shout, might be worth posting your general location and meeting up with a forum member. A second set of eyes (or cheeks in this case) can be helpful. Interesting personally as I'm thinking about changing my suspension to a B12 kit.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

mc5

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by mc5 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:56 pm

I find the same with B6s and eibachs which is essentially the b12. Can't remember if it was the same with eibachs and oem dampers, think it was. It improved the ride on normal bumps but still rubbish on large pot holes. Was oem any better then? Maybe H&R springs would be better and the eibachs are the problem.

mc5

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by mc5 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm

bmwaddict wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm
Lynchy wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:26 pm Do you know any other Forum members with a Z4M that you can meet up with and have a drive in one another's car. I am not saying there's anything wrong with your car but someone else's opinion could help.
Great shout, might be worth posting your general location and meeting up with a forum member. A second set of eyes (or cheeks in this case) can be helpful. Interesting personally as I'm thinking about changing my suspension to a B12 kit.
How do you find the H&Rs?

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by mr wilks » Tue May 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Before you swapped out the original springs + shocks did you have a geometry check at all ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mc5

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by mc5 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Heres how mine sits. As you can see not much clearance at the front. Think the Z4m is just generally crap over large potholes. Not to bad otherwise

bmwaddict

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by bmwaddict » Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm

mc5 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm
bmwaddict wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm
Nice, but a bit too harsh for the roads I drive on, they're lower than the Eibachs you get in the B12 kit.

Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by mr wilks » Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 pm

bmwaddict wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm
mc5 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm
bmwaddict wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm Great shout, might be worth posting your general location and meeting up with a forum member. A second set of eyes (or cheeks in this case) can be helpful. Interesting personally as I'm thinking about changing my suspension to a B12 kit.
Nice, but a bit too harsh for the roads I drive on, they're lower than the Eibachs you get in the B12 kit.
Still on the original shockers ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

RedUn

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by RedUn » Tue May 08, 2018 8:14 pm

InterlagosZ4MR wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm So I'm at my wits' end with what to do with the suspension on my Z4M... and it's now unloved, forlorn and undriveable.

If you want it properly sorted you will have to get some coilovers, I'd recommend some KWs but the Bilsteins get great reviews on here.

Other than that, what tyres are you running and what pressures?

Don't give up just yet :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

InterlagosZ4MR

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by InterlagosZ4MR » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for all replies. Running OEM wheels with new Pilot Sports. I guess coilevers are the answer but that’s another £2.5k investment on top of the £1k I’ve just spent on the B12. As I mentioned, I’ve had the Z for 4 (nearly 5) years and have had Elises, Caterhams and numerous M3s... and just want it even 50% as compliant as any of those...

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by mmm-five » Tue May 08, 2018 9:11 pm

I don’t think you’ll get it anywhere near as compliant as the others you’ve mentioned, except maybe close to the M3.

Even compared to the M3, I think you’re finding a combination of issues really:
  • higher torsional rigidity
  • shorter wheelbase
  • sitting right over the rear wheels
  • thinly-cushioned seats
My mates CSL with Recaro buckets feels more compliant than my Z4MC, and is much more fun to drive at 9/10ths on a bumpy B-road than a standard Z4MC, and I’d have gone for one of them if I hadn’t been planning on putting 150k miles on it.

Coversely, when I tried an e9x M3, it felt like a blancmange compared to the Z4MC - and seemed to take a long time to settle into a steady position on corners, so you had to turn earlier than you’d expect - felt more like my lardy e34 M5, which is both a good thing (for an autobahn stormer) and a bad thing (for a fast-road/track sports coupe).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

bmwaddict

Z4M - Suspension Help

Post by bmwaddict » Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 pm

mr wilks wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 pm
bmwaddict wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm
mc5 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm How do you find the H&Rs?
Still on the original shockers ?
Yes, which is definitely a contributing factor.

Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC