Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nurburgring and Spa trip with some vids

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:37 pm

1100 miles, many tanks of fuel and some great memories later I just got back from ticking a few things off my bucket list.
I'd been planning a double header track day at Spa for some time but chatting with FishyDave about that he suggested going to the Nurburgring instead for a day and only doing the 1 day at spa.
I asked if he would like to join and whilst I have no doubt he would have liked to come in his M the silly fool has sold it, so in he hopped into the passenger seat. Some might say that was quite a brave choice!
The journey to the ring was pretty non descript. Upon arrival to nuremburg I realised the place was anything but! Extraordinary is a weak way to describe the place and the general vibe, like a huge playground for grown ups with their big toys:) It would NEVER be allowed in the uk...
Arriving late sunday Dave suggested getting up early and trying to get a couple of hopefully traffice free laps in. As I'm sure all brits are it was with some trepidation that I lined up on a public day for my first lap. That quickly got fogotten about! Oh wow, what an experience!! There's race tracks, and then there's the ring, an impossibly complex labyrnth of tarmac, and any old fool can come pay 30€ and try and play race driver. Terrifying :)
After saying I would only do one lap that went straight out of the window, and a second lap was purchased pronto..
It was still pretty quiet and helfully I managed to tag onto a well driven golf R and sneaked in an 8:37s, which felt pretty nuts at the time. Looking at the video there's time left all over the place, but for a 2nd go on the place I was pretty happy. (some caymans may have been upset in the making of this video ~5:20 :D )

Wisely I think we then moved on to the GP circuit and had a couple of 15 min sessions each, Dave mostly complaining about understeer, me happy that it's not snapping into oversteer in 4th gear, overall I was happy with the compromise.
I'd had the geo adjusted before coming out to err on the side of caution not knowing what weather conditions might be like. As it was we were pretty lucky given that it's quite possible it could be snowing at this time of the year.
After visiting the museum and Dave trying to point out the castle to me far too often :!: , I had a couple of beers and dave drove us to Spa. The excitement levels after the day and what lay in store for tomorrow couldn't have been much higher.
Typically unpredictable weather there meant that whilst the briefing at 8:30am was in the sun, the sighting laps just 30 mins later made me happy that I wasn't sitting in the caged and open mx5 in front.
Luckily it didn't get too wet, but Spa for your first time is I imagine quite a thing even in the dry. Both Dave and I had some fear/fun in the wet morning session, it dried up over lunch and I managed to get a fairly decent lap in after a few pointers from Dave, just snicking under 2:57. It's a truly fantstic track, but after the buzz I felt on the ring the day before even this was somewhat underwhelming.

Had a good chat with forum member mikeyboy (beautiful looking car mate and those seats :wub:) before leaving for the slog back to uk.. Thanks Dave for your company and driving the car through the torrential rain of Belgium :o to the next time.... :thumbsup:
And big respect to the Z4M, punishing journey, didn't miss a beat, he's a good lad :thumbsup:
DSC_2229.JPG
DSC_2229.JPG (167.28 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Wow!

great video and fair play for having a go (well a few in fact!) :thumbsup: I don't have neither the skills nor the guts to drive my Z4MC on a track :o
the noise of that intake is intoxicating!!!
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:48 pm

I was there from Friday to Tuesday, but you’d have to keep your eyes open for an understeering, squealing, dirty Alfa 147 diesel :poke:

Only managed 20 laps due to closures and increasingly irritating rotational noises from the old girl, but she made it all the way back home on Tuesday afternoon and sat at 130mph on the autobahn for a good while.

There are lots of downsides to using the Alfa over the M, but one upside is that I only needed 2 tanks of diesel for the entire trip vs the 2 tanks a day my pal was chomping through in his petrol Leon. Another is that my pads & tyres last 40,000 miles, and it’s as ‘quick’ in the dry or the hail/rain (which you may have missed).

Almost took out a dick in a UK-registered white Lambo, who decided to slow down to 50mph into Schwedenkreuz, and stay on the left. The Alfa is no supercar, but I was still showing 125mph. He then decided to indicate left and block the racing line for everything else that was up my chuff. He then decided he wanted to undertake through Brunchen and made me almost understeer into the cars passing me on the left. His excuse, when the marshals grabbed him exiting the track, was that his passenger was feeling ill and so he slowed down.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Nice write up Tom. :thumbsup:

It was a bloody good three days, I feel knackered now though, still a bit unwell too, pesky inner ear.

Told you it was worth visiting the 'ring, it's a special place, nowhere else like it in the world. p.s. it's Nurburg, Nuremburg is well known for other reasons! :wink: It's the Castle that really make the place special you know. :tumbleweed:
20180402_105351.jpg
20180402_105351.jpg (167.12 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
You missed out Steak on a stone at the Pistenklause on Sunday night, mmmm, Argentinian Fillet!
20180401_185721.jpg
20180401_185721.jpg (180.34 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
I'd mentioned to Tom that as a newcomer to the place (aside from virtual laps) his best chance of getting in a good lap is a. when it's quiet and b. to follow a local that is going at a pace that is good for your car. The jammy bugger got both, lucky for a bank holiday too! The first lap was even quieter than the one in the video and was a very respectable lap, nothing caught us. The second lap was just excellent, it couldn't have been better in fact. Despite a 1 degree C air temperature the track was completely dry and the Golf R was almost as fast as the M, but not quite enough to get away and out of sight. Aside from one moment with the rear wheel just touching the grass and later chopping across the nose of the Cayman on the exit of the Karussell there were no nervous moments. Testament both to Toms driving and his brilliant Z4M. The Yokohama AD08R, APs and M track all worked overtime but perfectly together.
20180402_082920.jpg
20180402_082920.jpg (87.78 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
I enjoyed my 15 minute session behind the wheel on the GP circuit, but didn't expect to be the only one on it! Imagine that, 15 minutes of having a Grand Prix track to yourself for 29 Euros! I'd have like someone else to chase down though, ah well. I'd not driven the GP for over ten years so it was good to be back. I noticed two changes to Toms car since the last time I drove it in anger. Firstly at the big stop for the first corner when the brakes were not stopping us as quick as any of us would have liked, before being reminded that the coding for the brake assist thing was altered so I just had to press the pedal harder. I never gave it any thought after that, much more consistent. Secondly the geo set up was different, making it very sensitive to corner entry speed; too much and it would just wash out wide into understeer until the speed had dropped. I'm used to a slight lift tightening the line. A good example of how just a mm or two of toe at the rear makes a big difference.
20180402_093601.jpg
20180402_093601.jpg (137.04 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
I've been around the museum (and gift shop) many times but still enjoy both, especially the 4D cinema video. Two T shirts bought, Currywurst and fries downed and it was off to watch from various viewing spots. The track was much busier by then, with plenty of groups of cars going round. I'm not sure how many 911 GT3 or Cayman GT4 were made but a fair percentage of them were seen here. We enjoyed a trio of E46 pounding round, the first of which must have been running velocity stacks :bow:
The white Lambo was here and later at Spa and was being driven well from what we'd seen, a shame he put you in danger mmm-five :thumbsdown: Wish we'd known you were there, would have been good to meet.

Typical Spa weather didn't match the forecast but we both got to drive wet and dry sessions. I took some satisfaction chasing down a McLaren 650S who was using the dry lines, whilst I gained good chunks of distance by using the wide, wet lines. Later I had some fun with a pair of E46 M3; it took a while to catch and pass them but we got there in the end. :driving: Having enjoyed that session I called it a day, Tom had been good enough to let me thrash his car but I thought I should quit whilst I was ahead. We were both pretty tired with a couple of hours of the day to run and headed back to Spa for a drink before the drive to the Tunnel. It was hard to tear ourselves away from a trackday that was still running, it's a first I think? I echo the comments about Mikey Boys car, it looked way too clean to have been on track!
20180403_151541.jpg
20180403_151541.jpg (198.72 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
20180403_135424.jpg
20180403_135424.jpg (252.85 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
20180403_161842.jpg
20180403_161842.jpg (190.45 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
The weather really turned with an hour to go before catching the crossing last night with our speed below 60 at times, with standing water and lousy road markings. Finally got home about 02:30 this morning, tired but happy.

I've suggested booking a trackday on the Nordschleife later in the year, if the Corvette is track ready by then (it still hasn't arrived in the UK yet!!!). My wife wants to come along too, she was jealous at missing out!

Thanks again mate. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Great write up and vids, sounds like an amazing experience, thanks for sharing. Definitely on my bucket list, hopefully next year a little ring trip is on the cards.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Great lap on the ring :thumbsup:

Would love to tick it off of the bucket list one day. At least ‘my’ grills have done a few laps :lol:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:32 pm

After 10 years, I’m used to most of the antics of the Dutch, Swiss & British drivers, but most supercar drivers know the rules and will head to the right and pull off the track if they’re likely to cause an obstruction...rather than slow down, speed up, slow down, change ‘lanes’ without warning.

At least I was in the £500 shitbox and not the Z, so managed to drive past some expensive machinery once the rain & hail started :thumbsup:

I did spot a couple of Z4Ms, but neither were UK cars. Also spotted a military green roadster.

Don’t know when I’ll be back next, but hoping to have my seats & brakes done by then, and will stay on Supersports for their all round ability. Got to work out what dates won’t clash with one of the forum outings or Spa F1 trip I’ve got booked.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Chompers

Post by Chompers » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Great write up and video's, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
His The keys to anything on the board at the end of the day :roll:
Hers f31 335d M Sport Touring Individual Tanzanite/Opal White Merino

Looking for a Z4MR (Ruby Black, Carbon Black, maybe Sepang)

beanie

Post by beanie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 pm

I always enjoy watching your vids Tom, the fact you seem to be constantly testing the available grip really 'makes them' :) Bloody respectable first times on the ring too, even if there was a trailblazer. It's all very well being shown the way but to commit and stay in touch round there requires some real confidence :thumbsup:
RUBYIMOLACARBON

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed it pal.

I’m going in May for the Nurburgring24 and then jumping on track on 15 May for some Touristfahrten.

Can’t wait!
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:45 am

Great reading & vids!!
I may go later this year, possibly mid May and deffo mid July.

(Good speed at Spa! I only managed 3.15 in the Fiat, normal Goodyears tho. It is a fantastic track, but ”just a track”. Nordschleife is something else...)

mpm

Post by mpm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip. Something I’d like to do!

What size and offset did you go for on your Apex wheels out of interest?

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:07 am

Looks like you guys had a bang up time!! :thumbsup: thanks for the report. Was fun reading about your adventures. Also looks like a sweet day out at the ring, weather for your lap looked cold, but I bet you both were warm as toast!! :) :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3