Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M vs Cayman/Boxster and M2- ride quality and ownership

"M" Specific discussion
beanie

Post by beanie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:49 am

I've been eyeing up Caymans and Boxsters lately but was wondering how they ride compared to a Z4M. There are plenty of reviews to look at but seeing as a few here have some experience with them I was hoping for some real world opinions.

I also quite like the look of the M2 and despite it being a modern, turbocharged family car in drag :fuelfire: I wonder if it might be a great antidote to the raw and sometimes tiresome Z4M, so I'd also be interested in any feedback on those as well :)

The main reason for the wavering love of mine is that I'm tiring of the crashy suspension in the Z4 and instead of trying to solve it with the aftermarket, I thought I might be better off just jumping ship. Also, ive had my car five years now and whilst I'm not entirely convinced I want to change, I wouldn't mind trying something else before my girlfriend invests all of my car fund :D
Last edited by beanie on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4M vs Cayman/Boxster and M2 ride quality and ownership

Post by buzyg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 am

There one simple solution to the crashy ride. Swap it for a Z4MR. :driving: :D :thumbsup:

beanie

Post by beanie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 am

Funnily enough, I was thinking it might be a good solution to use the roadster setup if it comes to doing a suspension refresh :o

Not sure how much difference it's likely to make though :?
Last edited by beanie on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 am

From my limited experience of a Cayman S, I'd say the perfect compromise would me the Cayman chassis and the BMW S54 engine.

I found the ride, brakes & seats much better in the Cayman, and it felt more planted on bumpy sweepers than the Z4MC, but the power delivery felt a bit 'underwhelming'. I'm sure a later car or the GTS/GT4 would help there, but you're looking at a lot more money for those.

If I had the choice of identical spec Z4MC or a Cayman S for the same money, then I'd find it hard to choose.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 am

beanie wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 am Funnily enough, I was thinking it might be a good solution to use roadster setup if it comes to doing a suspension refresh :o

It's not mostly down to just the suspension though - you'd have to remove half of the structural/torsional rigidity of the coupe to match that of the roadster.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

beanie

Post by beanie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 am

As good as the S54 is, it's not without its worries/issues and that's also a part of my reasons for thinking of something else. Not that Porsches aren't without their share of problems, but I'd look to avoid the troublesome models and try to get in to a 981 S if I could.

A gts would be lovely but they're beyond me unfortunately :(
RUBYIMOLACARBON

beanie

Post by beanie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 am

mmm-five wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 am It's not mostly down to just the suspension though - you'd have to remove half of the structural/torsional rigidity of the coupe to match that of the roadster.
I'm pretty nifty with a grinder and a holesaw, how hard can it be?!
RUBYIMOLACARBON

InterlagosZ4MR

Post by InterlagosZ4MR » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 am
beanie wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 am Funnily enough, I was thinking it might be a good solution to use roadster setup if it comes to doing a suspension refresh :o

It's not mostly down to just the suspension though - you'd have to remove half of the structural/torsional rigidity of the coupe to match that of the roadster.

Even if you halved the torsional rigidity of the coupe you wouldn’t notice.

abar121

Post by abar121 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:07 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 am From my limited experience of a Cayman S, I'd say the perfect compromise would me the Cayman chassis and the BMW S54 engine.

I found the ride, brakes & seats much better in the Cayman, and it felt more planted on bumpy sweepers than the Z4MC, but the power delivery felt a bit 'underwhelming'. I'm sure a later car or the GTS/GT4 would help there, but you're looking at a lot more money for those.

If I had the choice of identical spec Z4MC or a Cayman S for the same money, then I'd find it hard to choose.
I would agree with this. If they made a Cayman with a GT3 MK1 engine, that would be perfect. Or it would in a convertible form for me, one of the reasons I got bored with a 911.

Even the GT4 feels slower than it is, due to insanely long gearing and a ton of grip. The new 718S models finally have decent grunt, but sound awful. Damm quick though.

The Z4 roadsters (remember it was designed as a drop top), are extremely stiff ( nearly 3 x more ridged than a Z3, stiffer than an E46 Coupe..) and ride OK, provided the dampers are in good condition. Goodyear F1s also help the ride quite a bit, being a bit wider than the norm too. The ride is quite similar to a 991 or 981 / 718 on 20" wheels.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Swap out the suspension for some quality products, you won't look back.
:thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3