Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just about to order BCS back boxes....after owners thoughts

"M" Specific discussion
AldridgeZ4

Post by AldridgeZ4 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:50 pm

After speaking to Nige at powervalve and listening to and reading lots of reviews, I have decided to pull the trigger and order a pair for the M.
I was wondering, people who have had them for a while, what are your thoughts? Is the build quality/condition still good after a few years on the car? Has the sound changed at all as the system has aged? Are you happy with your choice or with hindsight would have chosen differently?
Now gone.......Z4MR. 2007. Boring silver.
MY05 honda S2000

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Depends what you are wanting from your car , i had sets on both my ZMRs , top quality product & i loved them but if / when i go Z///M again i would opt for a Gruppe M induction (decision arrived at after spending hundreds of ///Miles in France with "srhutch"s Gruppe fitted MR ) & simply upsize the tips on the stock boxes as for me the originals just don't look right in the cut outs :cry: almost like the outer sleeves are missing :?
Additionally & this is purely my own opinion i wouldn't have aftermarket boxes & induction kit together , gives a confusion of senses & if you do have a Gruppe you really wouldn't want to hear anything else .
Ultimately its down to user preference , do you want to give a great tone out of the rear or do you want to amplify the mechanical theatre of the S54 & hear it up front ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

AldridgeZ4

Post by AldridgeZ4 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Additionally & this is purely my own opinion i wouldn't have aftermarket boxes & induction kit together , gives a confusion of senses & if you do have a Gruppe you really wouldn't want to hear anything else .
I was also just about to order a Gruppe M from Australia and fit both ready for the spring season.
MY05 honda S2000

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:10 pm

AldridgeZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 pm
I was also just about to order a Gruppe M from Australia and fit both ready for the spring season.
Well i doubt you will be disappointed with either tbh , my own thoughts are purely that & i know "Rally" is currently running your proposed combo & "stevo///m3" is running BCS with Eventuri , both totally happy chaps :(
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:08 pm Depends what you are wanting from your car , i had sets on both my ZMRs , top quality product & i loved them but if / when i go Z///M again i would opt for a Gruppe M induction (decision arrived at after spending hundreds of ///Miles in France with "srhutch"s Gruppe fitted MR ) & simply upsize the tips on the stock boxes as for me the originals just don't look right in the cut outs :cry: almost like the outer sleeves are missing :?
Ultimately its down to user preference , do you want to give a great tone out of the rear or do you want to amplify the mechanical theatre of the S54 & hear it up front ?
I'd agree with all of that. For me the S54 cries out to have it's induction sound amplified, it's one of the great old school sounds that you just don't hear anymore in these days of turbo this and that. If you go down that route (which is great as it can be as quiet as stock unless you open the taps) any added exhaust noise just ends out cancelling the enjoyment of the above. I should know, I've pretty much masked the beautiful sound of my csl box with crappy exhaust noise from my (reason why i have them) lightweight backboxes.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Not ever been near a CSL airboxed S54 I can only read & imagine that any further amplification from Gruppe levels must be off the scale :evil:
The OE boxes are ridiculously heavy & also 10/12 yrs old most likely be getting past their best anyway , i would look into replacements for various reasons but not for noise . The S54 mechanical induction noise is like nothing else ive experienced in any cars ive owned , its pretty special :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Truth

Post by Truth » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 pm

AldridgeZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 pm
Order direct from Japan and save a load or money. Pm me for info. All the best
Z4MC

Truth

Post by Truth » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Having spent some time with a csl owner. The induction sound is sweet and on point. Perfect I’d dare say but at the price it costs on our cars I’d go the Gruppe m route. Polish them Exhaust tips or like mr W says upsize them. U won’t be dissapointed by the Gruppe m. Though at £660 all in its expensive. Money can be spent better elsewhere in life. I think sometimes as petrol heads we have money burning holes in our pockets and forget to appreciate and enjoy what we have in terms of car! Just get out burn some rubber and petrol. £660 for Gruppe m or £875 for Bcs backboxes could pay for a few nights and meals and fuel in a nice northern pub/hotel.
Z4MC

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:01 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm Not ever been near a CSL airboxed S54 I can only read & imagine that any further amplification from Gruppe levels must be off the scale :evil:
The OE boxes are ridiculously heavy & also 10/12 yrs old most likely be getting past their best anyway , i would look into replacements for various reasons but not for noise . The S54 mechanical induction noise is like nothing else ive experienced in any cars ive owned , its pretty special :wink:
The CSL intake & exhaust is beautifully balanced - and a sound I was trying to emulate with my Rogue Diablos and Gruppe-M. It might also help that the CSL has a larger cabin to smooth/round the sound.

Unfortunately mine is nothing like the CSL sound. But I think that's mainly down to the Rogue Diablos being too loud and drowning out the Gruppe-M.

I guess it will have to be velocity stacks to balance it back up :evil:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Pretty much agree with what has been said above.

I had an Eventuri fitted then went with Stromung back boxes which drowned out the induction noise.

If I was in a S54 again then it would just be Eventuri or GruppeM.

AldridgeZ4

Post by AldridgeZ4 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:49 pm

I think you might be right. I am going to order the GruppeM and live with that for a while before deciding on the exhaust.

Thanks for all your advice......
MY05 honda S2000

bradz

Post by bradz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Also look at the Supersprint Powerloops - Adore mine!
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

mark seeker

Post by mark seeker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 pm

AldridgeZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:50 pm After speaking to Nige at powervalve and listening to and reading lots of reviews, I have decided to pull the trigger and order a pair for the M.
I was wondering, people who have had them for a while, what are your thoughts? Is the build quality/condition still good after a few years on the car? Has the sound changed at all as the system has aged? Are you happy with your choice or with hindsight would have chosen differently?
Hi

I just wondered how you got on with your new exhausts? Did you go with BCS in the end?
Current - Ruby Black MR

AldridgeZ4

Post by AldridgeZ4 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am

After speaking to a few people on this forum, I decided to go down the GruppeM intake route instead, and I have to say I'm pleased that I did. The noise is very addictive, but not too intrusive.
I still may go down the BCS route next year, but for the time being I'm happy with my GruppeM.
MY05 honda S2000

abar121

Post by abar121 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:01 pm

That's great.

A friend just fitted Remus back boxes to his Z4MR. I do love the sound and prefer the lack of drone over stock, but you do loose some of that lovely induction note. I guess more induction mods are needed to compensate.

So I'm a bit split on what to do now as for me, a BMC panel filter on an otherwise stock Z4MR has a great balance of induction noise / exhaust, particularly with the roof down. The drone a low revs is a bit annoying in traffic though.

On a Coupe, I would certainly mod both induction and exhaust.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.