Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EBC Combined Brake kits - Stainless Steel Hoses and Yellowstuff Pads.

"M" Specific discussion
nickw6666

Post by nickw6666 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi all,

I've posted before about my interest in trying to improve my brakes for the occasional track day at moderate pace/lap count and also for road use.

I don't want to change my discs and callipers and don't want the expense of a Big Brake Kit, but am wondering if the 'balanced kits' from EBC are a good way to go.

I know some of you on the forum have been critical of EBC in the past but from what I can see, if you are not looking to create a track weapon with brakes capable of long runs with many laps without fade, would a pad upgrade and stainless lines be a good upgrade.

So to my question.

Has anyone fitted the EBC combined kits and/or yellowstuff pads?

Note that I understand Yellowstuff pads are for occasional light track use and I would only be doing 4-5 lap runs maximum so want a better pad than stock OE for both light track and road use.

Would appreciate any feedback / thoughts. Many thanks in advance.
2007 Imola Red Z4M coupe. Owned since January 2008.
Previous: 2009 Guards Red Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Gen II
Previous: 2015 F82 M4 coupe - Mineral White, DCT
Previous: 2007 Meteor Grey 997.1 Porsche 911 Carrera S

markalp

Post by markalp » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:34 pm

SS Hoses, upgraded pad,and dot 5.1 fluid.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

I've not used anything from EBC other than pads.

The majority of my experience (i.e. 99%) has been positive.

I've run YellowStuff on e34 M5s and Z4MC. I've also progressed from YellowStuff through BlueStuff NDX onto OrangeStuff on the Z4MC.

I do about 4 UK trackdays a year in my Z, and 2-3 4-5 day Ring weekends (of about 50 laps max over the long weekend).

My only negative experience is when I bought a set of RedStuff (or GreenStuff) pads for a friends Ford Galaxy. He fitted them, and within a week the pad material was falling away from the backing plate. EBC replaced them without question (other than asking for them to be returned for internal investigation). His second set were fine and were on the car when he sold it 2 years later.

I also like Pagid RS29 - any my reason for using EBC over Pagid was purely due to cost - as I got the EBC OrangeStuff for about £60 an axle vs the £250+ for the Pagids. I also found the EBC OrangeStuff last longer - so the 'value' was even greater.

Now that I'm not doing the 25,000 miles on the commute, the value per mile is less concerning, so am happy to fit the Pagids - although I have to keep a more careful eye on the pad wear as I can go through half a pad in a single day at Oulton Park (could be 200 miles though).

I'd just buy the pads you want (EBC, Pagid, Performance Friction, Hawk), put some decent DOT 4 (no need for the 5.1 unless you're getting it for a similar price as the DOT 4, as a lot of DOT 5.1 have the same dry/wet boiling points as the DOT 4 - and the DOT level is just a minimum), HEL/Goodridge lines (SS braided, but sheathed to protect against road crud), and in whatever colour you want.

Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:45 pm

I haven't used this exact kit, but did use Bluestuff NDX in the AP calipers on my Z4M and found them very good. I have used Yellowstuff on my Caterham, but it was too light a car to get them working. I'm sure I've used them on another (heavier) car though and found they were ok. For light track use they will be better than standard pads, are good value and road legal too. Blue and Orange will be more effective at higher temperatures (track use), but that depends on your view of running pads that aren't ece R90 approved.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:25 am

As I remembered mine (on a Fiat Coupe) yellowstuff’s worked fine (much like oem) in road use.
(Full thru completely on hard track use but that’s another story)