Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding out Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I find the z4m to be a pretty accomplished car on track with some mods however one thing that has always bugged me is the inconsistency that can occur with the brake pedal in certain situations.
It comes as a result of DBC, you can read about how it works here, suffice to say it can be difficult to modulate the brake when coming off the throttle very quickly.
http://www.bmw.com.kh/asia/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/dynamic_brake_control.html?source=index&article=dynamic_brake_control
I've looked around on the web and haven't been able to find any one who has removed it on the Z4M, so I thought I'd have a go myself. Digging around it turns out our ecu is closely related to some of the newer e6/8x models and there in lay the answers.
The function you need to set to not active is BB_RAB found in the MK60 ecu.
That's it :) A very nice improvement on initial tests, pedal feel consistent :) I can update in a few weeks after Donnington.
If you wish you can also disable hill start assist which is HSA and also the automatic brake disk dry function for when it is wet by setting TB_BDD to not active.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Nice work :thumbsup:

I'm the same as you on DBC. The thing I seek most on brakes is consistency!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:11 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 pmNice work :thumbsup:

I'm the same as you on DBC. The thing I seek most on brakes is consistency!
Stopping first
Consistency second :D
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:37 pm

:rofl: Yeh, I suppose if they 'consistently' don't stop they are not much use!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Nice work. Given that you've now turned it off, do you think it ever came into play during "spirited" road driving?

I had assumed so, but it's hard to tell because the Z4M brakes are a bit over-servoed.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Good effort, I'd like to know exactly how DBC works though, never seen a tech guide on it.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 pm Nice work. Given that you've now turned it off, do you think it ever came into play during "spirited" road driving?

I had assumed so, but it's hard to tell because the Z4M brakes are a bit over-servoed.
No I don't really think it does. It takes extreme inputs to activate the system and if something you did on the road required it you'd probably be better off with it tbh. On track though in certain situations it can be bloody annoying so I'm keen to see how it goes next time out.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:46 am

Subbed for report after Donnington.. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3